Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeHealthy Leftwich no longer eyeing Pittsburgh exit Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Healthy Leftwich no longer eyeing Pittsburgh exit

Go down 
+4
effyou515
SteelCityMom
vasteeler
Buddha Bus
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Healthy Leftwich no longer eyeing Pittsburgh exit Empty
PostSubject: Healthy Leftwich no longer eyeing Pittsburgh exit   Healthy Leftwich no longer eyeing Pittsburgh exit EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 4:39 am

By WILL GRAVES
AP Sports Writer

LATROBE, Pa. (AP) When he was younger, Byron Leftwich would take a quick scan down NFL rosters and start taking mental notes.

Better than that guy. And that one. And that one. That one too.

Call it youthful arrogance. Call it competitiveness. Whatever it was, the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback had it in abundance.

"I would look at guys all over the league and I felt that I was truly better than them, guys that had starting jobs," Leftwich said.

Lately, however, Leftwich has given up the practice. Go more than five years without winning a start and spend the last two sidelined by injuries like Leftwich has and you stop worrying about where you rank in the pecking order.

Oh, the 32-year-old still believes he can be effective at the top of the depth chart. He's just not willing to give up a good gig to get it.

"If I get an opportunity to go and start somewhere one day, it'll be great," Leftwich said. "But at the same time I love knowing that if I do get a chance to play, I'm going to have a chance to be successful. That's where I'm at in my career."

(Read More:) http://pittsburgh.cbsradio.stats.com/fb/story.asp?i=20120815144241788905008&ref=rec&tm=23&src=NFL

Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Leftwich no longer eyeing Pittsburgh exit   Healthy Leftwich no longer eyeing Pittsburgh exit EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 10:10 am

im glad he is not our starter but i am thrilled that he is our back up

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
SteelCityMom

SteelCityMom

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Leftwich no longer eyeing Pittsburgh exit   Healthy Leftwich no longer eyeing Pittsburgh exit EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 10:24 am

Agreed...I love having him here as a backup. He seems to have settled in here quite nicely as well.

Glad to see he's gotten his head on straight in terms of where and who he is in the league. And glad he's healthy too. I'm willing to bet that he's needed for a few games this year.

effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Leftwich no longer eyeing Pittsburgh exit   Healthy Leftwich no longer eyeing Pittsburgh exit EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 2:36 pm

but preseason is not over yet keep your fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Leftwich no longer eyeing Pittsburgh exit   Healthy Leftwich no longer eyeing Pittsburgh exit EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 4:16 pm

I like Lefty as a backup too. He's been solid (when he's healthy) and can be counted on to get us through if Ben is out a couple of games. I wouldn't want to depend on him as a starter for an extended period of time or to get us through the playoffs, but what team does depend on a backup QB to do that?

We can get a few more decent years out of him and start thinking about setting Batch out to pasture soon. He's earned his retirement and we'll have a reliable guy to take his place for a bit.

Now I'd like to see them start to groom a young guy as a #1 or #2 QB in the next year or so that can sit and learn from Ben and Lefty.

Back to top Go down
lvsteelersfan
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Leftwich no longer eyeing Pittsburgh exit   Healthy Leftwich no longer eyeing Pittsburgh exit EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 1:09 pm

How can anyone call Lefty solid as a backup? He has not played due to injury the past two years. And when he does play, he sits back there like a statue and gets sacked like nobody's business. Sorry, I wish the Steelers would find someone else besides Lefty and the geriatric one in Batch. If Ben goes down for any length of time, the Steelers are screwed.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Leftwich no longer eyeing Pittsburgh exit   Healthy Leftwich no longer eyeing Pittsburgh exit EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 3:16 pm

lvsteelersfan wrote:
How can anyone call Lefty solid as a backup? He has not played due to injury the past two years. And when he does play, he sits back there like a statue and gets sacked like nobody's business. Sorry, I wish the Steelers would find someone else besides Lefty and the geriatric one in Batch. If Ben goes down for any length of time, the Steelers are screwed.

I think Lefty is very capable as a backup if he can stay healthy (which of course is the problem). He's a former starter and has experience in the league. Sure I'd rather be grooming a young QB who shows promise, but we don't have that. I could think of plenty of worse options, like the Ravens carrying Curtis Painter. We'll be fine if he can remain on the field if called upon. Hopefully, we won't need to find out at all. That's the best case scenario.

Back to top Go down
steelersfan87

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Leftwich no longer eyeing Pittsburgh exit   Healthy Leftwich no longer eyeing Pittsburgh exit EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 6:22 pm

I honestly prefer Batch as the gameday backup, but I have no problem with Leftwich. It's a luxury to have two veterans of their caliber on the ready.
Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Leftwich no longer eyeing Pittsburgh exit   Healthy Leftwich no longer eyeing Pittsburgh exit EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 6:53 pm

Dodens Grav wrote:
I honestly prefer Batch as the gameday backup, but I have no problem with Leftwich. It's a luxury to have two veterans of their caliber on the ready.

^this^

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Leftwich no longer eyeing Pittsburgh exit   Healthy Leftwich no longer eyeing Pittsburgh exit EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 7:00 pm

I like Lefty as backup. I've noticed that for the most part, he is able to roll out of the pocket and make crisp, clean passes, and can see more of the field. IMHO, it is how Lefty plays the game and any OC that knows him would create an offensive gameplan around that. When Lefty came to Tampa, they tried to make him a pocket QB and that's not Lefty.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Healthy Leftwich no longer eyeing Pittsburgh exit 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Leftwich no longer eyeing Pittsburgh exit   Healthy Leftwich no longer eyeing Pittsburgh exit Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1