Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeHines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting

Go down 
+5
stlrtruck
fer69
vasteeler
Blitzburghfan
Gingerchip
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting Empty
PostSubject: Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting   Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 1:19 pm

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/8/20/3255527/nbc-sunday-night-football-hines-ward-mike-wallace-broadcast-colts-preseason

Former Steelers WR Hines Ward's Sunday Night Football Debut a Memorable One

by Neal Coolong on Aug 20, 2012 3:30 PM EDT

It was going well for Hines Ward at the start. He looked good. Nice smile, Apollo Ohno-inspired soul patch and a borderline condescending Cris Collinsworth referring to him as "NBC's finest."

Ward told a funny story about getting stopped by Heinz Field security asking for credentials.

Then, it happened.

Collinsworth asked Ward what he thought of the Steelers offense.

"I saw more of a controlled passing attack, the offensive line has done a great job of protecting Ben this game. One thing that I'm missing is that deep threat. Not having Mike Wallace out there, I haven't seen a whole lot of shots being taken down the field. Hopefully when Mikes (sic) comes back, ya know, we can go out and, uh, you can see Mike make some big plays."

Cardinal rule of the former player in the broadcast booth. Never attach yourself to a team by using the pronoun "we."

Naturally, Steelers fans aren't going to think anything of it. The cardinal rule exists for Cowboys or Patriots* (here's to you, Mr. Irvin and Mr. Bruschi) but Hines Ward can refer to the Steelers as "we" all he wants.

NBC disagreed. It was so poorly timed of a slip, they even brought him back on the air after the game for a "mea culpa" over the slip.

Poor Hines. He's probably barely even used to what he's doing, and there's little to suggest he wasn't completely serious about his comparison of being at Heinz Field but not in uniform to an episode of the Twilight Zone. He stumbles over Mike Wallace's first name, and reverts back to the team he's been a part of for the last 14 years.

All in all, not a bad start for Ward. It's not as if he caught 14 passes for 252 yards in his rookie debut on the field either

Did anyone else notice this? If he gets fired from NBC for this little slip - I'll boycott that station the rest of my life!

Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting We_bel10
Back to top Go down
Blitzburghfan
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting   Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 3:02 pm

I noticed it, didn't think anything about it......NBC just needs to move on, I'm sure he was a little nervous and besides it's been less than a year since he was a part of "we"
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting   Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 3:44 pm

Blitzburghfan wrote:
I noticed it, didn't think anything about it......NBC just needs to move on, I'm sure he was a little nervous and besides it's been less than a year since he was a part of "we"

thats exactly it

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting   Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 3:46 pm

Who gives a shit if he said "we" They better dont do anything to Ward or I'll go watch American idol and I fucking hate that show

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting   Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 4:09 pm

Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting 512807920 NO HE HAD IT RIGHT!

Once a Steeler always a Steeler!

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting   Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 4:15 pm

stlrtruck wrote:

DAMN RIGHT! Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting 3056903510

And you know I love me some Mitch Berger!!! Steeler 4 life, baby! Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting 1072540953

Back to top Go down
SteelCityMom

SteelCityMom

PostSubject: Re: Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting   Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 5:54 pm

I'm sure they'll let it go. It was his first time, and he corrected himself later. Preseason for the broadcasters too and all.

Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting   Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 6:21 pm

Big whoop. I could understand being miffed at a guy 2 years+ retired for that kind of slip up, but a guy who is freshly retired from a team he played his entire 14 year career with should get a free pass for a little bit until he settles into retired life more.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting   Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 11:23 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
stlrtruck wrote:

DAMN RIGHT! Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting 3056903510

And you know I love me some Mitch Berger!!! Steeler 4 life, baby! Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting 1072540953

Hey Berger served his purpose and played an important part in key plays on our run to the SB(s)

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
steelerdude15

steelerdude15

PostSubject: Re: Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting   Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 12:53 am

I don't see anything wrong with it.

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting   Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 3:20 pm

stlrtruck wrote:
Hey Berger served his purpose and played an important part in key plays on our run to the SB(s)

Yeah, like nearly helping other teams to beat us and giving me high blood pressure.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting   Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 3:27 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
stlrtruck wrote:

Yeah, like nearly helping other teams to beat us and giving me high blood pressure.

Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting 3918737645 You already have high blood pressure

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting   Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 3:31 pm

stlrtruck wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
stlrtruck wrote:

Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting 3918737645 You already have high blood pressure

I usually get it around lunchtime when you're in an apron and oven mitt.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting   Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 3:53 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
stlrtruck wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
stlrtruck wrote:

You get it first thing in the morning when your fat laden eyelids try to open up, and even more so when your 'rolls' somehow manage to physically move you from a horizontal position to a vertical one!

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting   Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 4:01 pm

stlrtruck wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
stlrtruck wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
stlrtruck wrote:

You get it first thing in the morning when your fat laden eyelids try to open up, and even more so when your 'rolls' somehow manage to physically move you from a horizontal position to a vertical one!

Did somebody say "rolls"?!? Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting 3337014354

Back to top Go down
The Dude
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting   Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 12:51 pm

Im afraid that Hines NBC career will be short lived...not because of his little slip of the tongue, but b/c he lacks the chops that a big time gig like the Sunday night football show requires.

Just my opinion...hope im wrong tho
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting   Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 7:39 am

I think he'll settle in and get comfortable with it. I'm sure it's just a big switch for him and his heart is still on the field right now. Once he gets acclimated and comfortable I think his personality will start to shine and he'll do well.

Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting   Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 11:44 pm

Hines lacking the chops? That guy loved to flap to the media more than anyone I know. I think he was probably nervous (who wouldn't be) -- but like Buddha said, I think once settled he will do great. But then again, they keep that ass Collinspuke around

Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting We_bel10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting   Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting Empty

Back to top Go down

Hines breaks cardinal rule of broadcasting
Page 1 of 1