Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeTomlin on preseason game three Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Tomlin on preseason game three

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bays

Bays

Tomlin on preseason game three Empty
PostSubject: Tomlin on preseason game three   Tomlin on preseason game three EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 7:23 am

Coach Mike Tomlin talks about various issues relating to the Steelers’ third preseason game, which is tonight against the Buffalo Bills at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Q. How did you evaluate the performance of rookie quarterback Jerrod Johnson in the game against the Indianapolis Colts?

A. I think I’m developing a different impression of all the guys based on a body of work. He’s one of the young guys who has taken advantage of some opportunities and moved the offense down the field late in some ballgames. You have to give him credit for that. You have to take note of that. And we have.

Q. It was only a preseason game, but Johnson did move the team 65 yards in 15 plays for the game-winning field goal by Daniel Hrapmann, and he seemed to have all of the poise he needed?

A. He did a nice job in the preseason opener against the Philadelphia Eagles, but I thought the difference in the Colts game was that he was more situationally aware. He had a third-and-4 when he had a bootleg, and he kept the ball, he tucked the ball, he didn’t run out of bounds, he cut back in and kept it in play. He was just aware of the fact we were in the red zone, it was a third down situation, that it was a two-minute situation and we needed to continue to burn the clock. That shows me growth and development really more than the play itself.

Q. Again it’s only the preseason, but did 146 yards rushing by the offense against the Colts impress you?

A. It was OK, but of course we have a desire to be better than that. We don’t want to be good, we want to be great, but we like where we are. We see signs of positive growth, and we’re just going to continue to work.

Q. Your depth at running back and linebacker already has been tested by some injuries, but is that necessarily a bad thing during the preseason when you’re looking to evaluate players?

A. That’s just the nature of this journey that we call a football season. I’m sure at some point, depth at every position is going to be challenged. Those who are filling the ranks have to step in and deliver, and they have to deliver quality play. More than anything this misfortune in the short term is providing an opportunity for us to make that very clear to the other men involved – that over the course of this football season there is going to be some misery positionally, but the standard will be the standard and we’re going to expect men to step in and deliver.

Q. In the game against the Colts, linebacker Brandon Johnson wore the helmet that was wired to receive the defensive calls from your sideline. How did he do in the communication department?

A. I thought he did a nice job of representing himself in communication with the defense, and I’m equally impressed with Sean Spence as a young guy who has an opportunity to do some of those things as well.

Q. Outside linebacker Adrian Robinson seems to be moving forward?

A. He is. Still somewhat of a one-trick pony, but he’s developing other aspects of his game. This is a guy who was a college defensive end, so obviously some of the coverage things are new to him, some of the special teams play from a linebacker standpoint is new to him. But I like the way he works. I like his natural motor. He’s a very humble guy. He’s representing himself very well.

Read more: http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Tomlin-on-preseason-game-No-3/13479259-2250-49ec-86b0-a4b16ab684c5

Tomlin on preseason game three
Page 1 of 1