Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers notebook: Dwyer likely starter at RB in Cincinnati  Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers notebook: Dwyer likely starter at RB in Cincinnati

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

Steelers notebook: Dwyer likely starter at RB in Cincinnati  Empty
PostSubject: Steelers notebook: Dwyer likely starter at RB in Cincinnati    Steelers notebook: Dwyer likely starter at RB in Cincinnati  EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 2:21 pm

By Dan Gigler / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

With Rashard Mendenhall and Isaac Redman out with injuries, third-year running back Jonathan Dwyer likely will make his first career start Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals.

He is well aware that the Steelers' anemic run game -- ranked 31st in the NFL -- needs to improve, not only for its own sake, but to help the passing game.

"It helps Ben [Roethlisberger] out. It helps the receivers. It helps our team," Dwyer said, adding that a more potent running attack will keep defenses off-kilter so that Roethlisberger is "able to throw the ball downfield and make those big plays to Mike [Wallace], A.B. [Antonio Brown] and Heath [Miller]. It helps us balance our offense out."

In their three losses, the Steelers have blown fourth-quarter leads that might have been preserved with more effective rushing -- a point not lost on Dwyer.

He said a strong running game "chews up the clock. If we have a lead, we have to run we can chew up the clock and make their defense tired, and maybe even surprise them with a deep ball."

Despite seeing playing time over the past few years, Dwyer said he is excited about having a greater role Sunday.

"Who doesn't want to have the opportunity to -- not only have the opportunity to start -- but actually play NFL football? Play at the highest level each week and get paid to do it. It's like playing a kid's game and getting paid for it. Who wouldn't be excited about this?
A well-scrutinized ankle

After leaving practice early Thursday and favoring his right ankle, Roethlisberger was a full participant in practice Friday and assured reporters afterwards that he is fine, he'll have no problems in Cincinnati Sunday night and that this was not at all related to the left high-ankle sprain that hobbled him in the final month last season.

"It's a completely different thing. It's a different ankle, a different kind of sprain," he said. "That was a high-ankle sprain. This is what the doctor's called a basketball sprain. Just a rolled ankle. Nothing big."

"This is a lot of overkill for nothing. I appreciate you guys wanting to talk to me, though," he laughed.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-notebook-dwyer-likely-starter-at-rb-in-cincinnati-658337/#ixzz29rfzUlkM

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers notebook: Dwyer likely starter at RB in Cincinnati    Steelers notebook: Dwyer likely starter at RB in Cincinnati  EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 2:21 pm

And the revolving door keeps on spinning....

Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Steelers notebook: Dwyer likely starter at RB in Cincinnati    Steelers notebook: Dwyer likely starter at RB in Cincinnati  EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 4:34 pm

its all about the line. if they can open up lanes he should do ok

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Steelers notebook: Dwyer likely starter at RB in Cincinnati    Steelers notebook: Dwyer likely starter at RB in Cincinnati  EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 9:32 pm

Haven't seen too much from Dwyer to be impressed this year. He did some exciting things in pre-season, but you know about pre-season...I'm hoping Batch and him can get into a groove because we are going to need that run game to keep pressure off Ben.

To be honest, I really don't feel good about this game and it all comes down to our porous secondary. Ike asking to be lined up with AJ all game with no safety help could be a kiss of death.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers notebook: Dwyer likely starter at RB in Cincinnati    Steelers notebook: Dwyer likely starter at RB in Cincinnati  Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers notebook: Dwyer likely starter at RB in Cincinnati
Page 1 of 1