Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers young receiving trio experiences growing pains Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers young receiving trio experiences growing pains

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

Steelers young receiving trio experiences growing pains Empty
PostSubject: Steelers young receiving trio experiences growing pains   Steelers young receiving trio experiences growing pains EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 5:06 am

Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders are the Steelers‘ money receivers, the high-production players who were supposed to make Todd Haley‘s first year on the job an easy one.

The receiving group offered the most potential of any since the John Stallworth/Lynn Swann days.

Toss in Heath Miller and the occasional throw to possession receiver Jerricho Cotchery, and just watch the yardage, points and wins add up.

Except that the Steelers 2012 offense hasn‘t been much like Steelers ‘79 at all.

Wallace showed up late after skipping training camp. Brown missed three games to injury, Ben Roethlisberger missed 3½. Sanders is hurting now with a fractured rib.

And while the Steelers‘ passing game gets a passing grade, the offense — 14 games into a much-disrupted season — continues to develop an identity, a rhythm, a consistency.

It might want to hurry up, especially with the Steelers (7-7) facing a potential playoff elimination game against the Bengals (8-6) on Sunday at Heinz Field.

“I think we‘re going into the direction we need to for these last two games. We don‘t have a choice,” said Wallace, a potential free agent who might be playing his final two regular-season games in Pittsburgh.

“We can‘t lose another game. I think everybody knows that, and everybody‘s mind frame is focused on that.”

All offenses take time to learn, and Haley‘s is no different.

“When you‘re working on chemistry but guys are out, it‘s hard to grow,” Cotchery said Thursday.

“We‘ve got a young group — Antonio and Emmanuel are in their third years — and there‘s still a lot of growth there. The same with Mike. It‘s a process with quarterbacks and wide receivers, understanding what you need to do to get open, all those things.”

The group‘s statistics are comparable to a year ago but not superior.

After 14 games in 2011, Wallace had 67 catches for 1,100 yards and eight touchdowns. He has 63 for 823 yards and eight TDs.

Brown has 59 catches for 668 yards and three TDs compared to 60 for 984 and two TDs a year ago.

Sanders has 41 receptions for 585 yards and a TD compared to 21 for 274 and two TDs.

Miller has taken the biggest jump, from 48 catches for 590 yards and two touchdowns to 68 for 771 yards and eight TDs.

The numbers illustrate the lessened emphasis on the deep pass and the structural overhaul of the offense: of Roethlisberger‘s 398 passes, only 131 traveled 10 yards or more. A year ago, he‘d already thrown 171 such passes. And he has only 10 completions of 20 yards or more. He had 24 all last season.

But one statistic is not comparable: the Steelers have seven wins compared to 10 in 2011. And as Haley said: “That‘s what we‘re measured on: How many wins do you have? Are you in the playoffs?”

“I feel like we‘re doing pretty well with a lot of injuries. We have a lot of moving parts,” Roethlisberger said.

Brown and Cotchery said they believe the passing game started clicking as Roethlisberger threw for three scores during the second half of the 34-24 upset loss to the Chargers on Dec. 9.

He was sharp again in Dallas, throwing for 339 yards as Brown caught eight passes, Miller caught seven, and Wallace had four catches for 95 yards — even if he didn‘t necessarily like some of the play-calling.

“We did a lot of great things, we definitely moved in the right direction, and we need to take advantage of the situations we get this week,” Brown said.

If only because a loss this week means next week won‘t matter.

“Hopefully, these aren‘t my last two weeks. Hopefully we have a lot more weeks left,” Wallace said.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3147432-74/yards-steelers-wallace#ixzz2FgC0voVb
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers young receiving trio experiences growing pains   Steelers young receiving trio experiences growing pains EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 8:49 am

This entire season has been a growing pain.

Between injuries and lack of focus all around, it's been not so enjoyable to watch. Key games against the raiders, browns, and cowboys (just to mention a few), have shown what the combination of the above can bring to a team.

I believe this season will become a season of "What could have been!"

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Steelers young receiving trio experiences growing pains 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers young receiving trio experiences growing pains   Steelers young receiving trio experiences growing pains EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 3:43 pm

think this season they came in a little full of themselves.
Back to top Go down
Gotassman
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Steelers young receiving trio experiences growing pains   Steelers young receiving trio experiences growing pains EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 4:06 pm

The only job the receivers have to do well.....catch the ball.

What happened to the old adage.....if ya can touch it, ya should catch it.

Wallace has basically screwed himself out of a lucrative contract by a bad case of the dropsies.

I like Brown, but he's a bit of a hotshot wannabe. He really hasn't proven enough.

What's with this growing pains nonsense.....just an excuse. These are Pro players and they have a full season under their belt. Yet still they manage to frustrate. Drops, fumbles, mental errors.

I watch the games and almost every play I mumble "throw it to Miller" The guy has glue for hands.

Where is Hines Ward when you need him most. That's what the real problem is.....incompetent coaches who let go the only receiver on the team who inspired the others to excell.

Shame on the coaches (double shame on Tomlin)
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers young receiving trio experiences growing pains   Steelers young receiving trio experiences growing pains EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 8:57 pm

Gotassman wrote:
The only job the receivers have to do well.....catch the ball.
And hold on to it. Steelers young receiving trio experiences growing pains 2981382511

Gotassman wrote:
Wallace has basically screwed himself out of a lucrative contract by a bad case of the dropsies.
I don't think his drops are the problem. He has fewer drops this season than Calvin Johnson, Wes Welker, Reggie Wayne, and quite a few other good/great receivers. Everyone just focuses more on Wallace's drops because they're looking for reasons to hate him. The problem with Wallace is his effort at times. Or, more to the point, his lack of effort at times.

Gotassman wrote:
I like Brown, but he's a bit of a hotshot wannabe. He really hasn't proven enough.
Yep. That's the argument I've been making since Wallace's holdout. The combination of wanting a replacement for Ward and hatred for Wallace caused everyone to overvalue Brown. Coming into the season, most fans were talking about him like he's already a lock for the Hall of Fame. Yes, he has the potential to be a great receiver. But, like you said, he hasn't proven anything yet.

Gotassman wrote:
What's with this growing pains nonsense.....just an excuse. These are Pro players and they have a full season under their belt. Yet still they manage to frustrate. Drops, fumbles, mental errors.
In my opinion, it's a lack of leadership.

Gotassman wrote:
I watch the games and almost every play I mumble "throw it to Miller" The guy has glue for hands.
Without a doubt, Miller has been the most consistent player this season.

Gotassman wrote:
Where is Hines Ward when you need him most. That's what the real problem is.....incompetent coaches who let go the only receiver on the team who inspired the others to excell.
Ward is my all-time favorite player. It hurt to see him retire, but it was time.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers young receiving trio experiences growing pains   Steelers young receiving trio experiences growing pains Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers young receiving trio experiences growing pains
Page 1 of 1