Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers’ Colbert would take character ‘risk’ again Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers’ Colbert would take character ‘risk’ again

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

Steelers’ Colbert would take character ‘risk’ again Empty
PostSubject: Steelers’ Colbert would take character ‘risk’ again   Steelers’ Colbert would take character ‘risk’ again EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 7:53 am

In a year when fourth-round pick Alameda Ta‘amu was arrested for leading police on a drunken driving chase through the South Side and fifth-round pick Chris Rainey was cut after police charged him with slapping his girlfriend, Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said the organization won‘t shy away from players with character issues in the NFL Draft.

Colbert told TribLive Radio on Friday it would be unrealistic to enter the draft process eliminating players who are labeled as having character issues.

“Does that mean that you are not going to look at guys who have risk?” Colbert said. “No, I think that is unrealistic because a lot of the guys in the draft pool do have character challenges. It is up to us to assess that and determine if we want to take the risk. If we do, we have to be ready not only if the player does well but the consequences if it doesn‘t work.”

Colbert disagreed with the perception that the organization‘s decision to release Rainey but keep Ta‘amu was based on talent alone.

“The only thing I can point to is our draft preparations,” Colbert said. “We do homework on players, and we will reject significant players. I am talking about first-round talents that (we) decide we don‘t want to assume the risk if they do have a character issue. But when we do assume the risk, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn‘t. Obviously, we had two cases this year that didn‘t work for us, and that falls on me because I am the guy who said we can assume this risk.”

The Steelers took tackle Mike Adams off their draft board last year after he tested positive for marijuana during the NFL Scouting Combine. However, after Adams made a trip to Pittsburgh to talk to Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin, the Steelers put Adams back on their board, and they ended up drafting him in the second round.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3322006-74/colbert-risk-character#ixzz2IQRFHbQp
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Steelers’ Colbert would take character ‘risk’ again   Steelers’ Colbert would take character ‘risk’ again EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 8:56 am

Colbert is a bit of a joke. They way he's taking blame for stuff. Where was he during the season. In his office counting cash? If the poor season, players with issues, etc, etc is his blame.....fire his sorry ass (and Tomlin's ass too)

Talk, talk, talk.

All this talk about character and issues. It all boils down to what a player is costing.

We all know Steelers have salary cap issues and here's one player that bit the dust (every bit helps).

Where was Colbert during Ben's issues. Obviously two rapes just don't qualify as significant enough. I know.....he was never charged but if it was another player, how long do u think they would be a Steeler (according to the Colbert gospel)

Colbert is a hypocrite....plain and simple.

Talk, talk, talk!
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Steelers’ Colbert would take character ‘risk’ again   Steelers’ Colbert would take character ‘risk’ again EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 1:12 pm

Quote :
Colbert disagreed with the perception that the organization‘s decision to release Rainey but keep Ta‘amu was based on talent alone

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy into this.

With the recent story of Te'o, and now a WR for the 49er's being charged with sexual assault, it's probably safe to assume that Colbert has no other choice but to draft players with "issues". I realize that no one is a saint, but it sure does seem to me that there are more prospective NFL players with issues than there were 20 years ago. Again, not implying they were saints, but where are the guys like Joe Greene, Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, and others who not only kept their nose clean in college and the NFL, but were the epitome of class?

Steelers’ Colbert would take character ‘risk’ again We_bel10
Back to top Go down
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

PostSubject: Re: Steelers’ Colbert would take character ‘risk’ again   Steelers’ Colbert would take character ‘risk’ again EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 8:11 am

Gingerchip wrote:
Quote :
Colbert disagreed with the perception that the organization‘s decision to release Rainey but keep Ta‘amu was based on talent alone

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy into this.

With the recent story of Te'o, and now a WR for the 49er's being charged with sexual assault, it's probably safe to assume that Colbert has no other choice but to draft players with "issues". I realize that no one is a saint, but it sure does seem to me that there are more prospective NFL players with issues than there were 20 years ago. Again, not implying they were saints, but where are the guys like Joe Greene, Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, and others who not only kept their nose clean in college and the NFL, but were the epitome of class?

Well said nice post Steelers’ Colbert would take character ‘risk’ again 1647293567

PostSubject: Re: Steelers’ Colbert would take character ‘risk’ again   Steelers’ Colbert would take character ‘risk’ again Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers’ Colbert would take character ‘risk’ again
Page 1 of 1