Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeLB Williams on the fast track Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

LB Williams on the fast track

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

LB Williams on the fast track Empty
PostSubject: LB Williams on the fast track   LB Williams on the fast track EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 12:32 am

By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Rookie linebacker Vince Williams did not know Lawrence Timmons before being drafted by the Steelers in the spring. Timmons last played for Florida State in 2006, two years before Williams arrived on campus to play for the Seminoles.

"But I was aware of his legend," Williams said Thursday. "Lawrence really played only one year at Florida State. A lot of people don't even know that. He played a little special teams his sophomore year, started as a junior and went to the NFL as a first-round draft pick. That's odd. That's amazing."

Williams took a more conventional route to the NFL. He was at Florida State for five years and started his final two before the Steelers selected him with their second pick in the sixth round in April.

It took Timmons until his third season to become a full-time starter for the Steelers. Due to the injury to Larry Foote, the other Seminole in the linebacker corps might soon become a full-time starter as a 24-year-old rookie.

Kion Wilson started the past two games in place of Foote, but it was Williams who saw the majority of the snaps in both games. Williams played 33 snaps against the Bears compared to 11 for Wilson.

"I thought he did real good," Timmons said. "In the second half, he did a real good job fitting up with the run. He's going in there, calling the defense, too. For a rookie to come in and do that, that speaks volumes."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-rookie-lb-williams-on-the-fast-track-705089/#ixzz2g439IUKQ

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: LB Williams on the fast track   LB Williams on the fast track EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 2:47 pm

May have mentioned this before, but I really liked this pick in this year's draft. This kid was real smooth at Florida State. You have to grit your teeth when he makes rookie mistakes, but I think his talent level will begin to show when he gets more experience. BTW, i used to grit my teeth seeing Polamalu make rookie mistakes as well.

I have to say, Foote exceeded my expectations when he came back from Detroit. I really thought he was there as a second stringer, but his play was far better than I expected as a starter at this point in his career. He'll never have the raw athleticism as Timmons (and Williams for that matter), but his blue collar hustle and determination produced for this team.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: LB Williams on the fast track   LB Williams on the fast track EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 7:03 pm

At this point I don't care who starts or what college they attended. What I care about is whoever that person is, they take care of business, and help the Steelers get a win on Sunday.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION LB Williams on the fast track 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: LB Williams on the fast track   LB Williams on the fast track EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 12:19 am

Quite honestly, I really haven't paid too much attention to Williams, so I can't judge his performance so far. My attention has been on Jones and the D-line. I'll have to focus on him a bit more.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LB Williams on the fast track   LB Williams on the fast track Empty

Back to top Go down

LB Williams on the fast track
Page 1 of 1