Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeEconomics key to Woodley's fate Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Economics key to Woodley's fate

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Economics key to Woodley's fate Empty
PostSubject: Economics key to Woodley's fate   Economics key to Woodley's fate EmptySun Feb 16, 2014 1:47 pm

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Should the Steelers keep LaMarr Woodley or let him go and re-sign Jason Worilds?

General manager Kevin Colbert said they could keep both, but he said it with little conviction and, for many reasons, it just is not conceivable that both Woodley and Worilds will be on the team in 2014.

Forget the finances, who do you start? Worilds is not returning for backup money and you cannot pay him starter money and not start him. They did not draft Jarvis Jones in the first round last year to be a backup in his second season.

So, one must stay and one most go (unless somehow they cannot sign Worilds and release Woodley, which would leave them with only one proven starter, Jones, and he hasn't proven himself yet).

The debate, though, has turned into one of people throwing their hands in the air and declaring that Woodley would cost too much to release. That simply is not the case, as we've pointed out many times; he would cost much, much less.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/02/16/On-the-Steelers-Analysis-Economics-key-to-Woodley-s-fate/stories/201402160057#ixzz2tVpCvBvy

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Economics key to Woodley's fate   Economics key to Woodley's fate EmptyMon Feb 17, 2014 10:38 am

I believe the Steelers could keep both, but that's almost, notice I said ALMOST, unrealistic.

Woodley has been paramount in the Steelers defense over the years but a recent string of injuries the last few years shows he is expendable, especially with the way Worilds proved himself during the 2013 season.

I like Woodley, he is my 2nd favorite Steeler behind Polamalu. But that doesn't mean I'll see him in the black and gold next season. Matter of fact, it wouldn't surprise me to see him go somewhere else and try to extend is injury plagued career. If he is here in 2014, I expect his role to diminsh and Worilds to takeover.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Economics key to Woodley's fate 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Economics key to Woodley's fate   Economics key to Woodley's fate EmptyMon Feb 17, 2014 12:02 pm

Even if it was financially possible to keep both, I don't see it happening. Worilds has stated that the only way he'll re-sign is if he starts. That's understandable considering how long he's waited and the kind of year he had last season. So if Worilds starts, why would we pay Woodley the kind of money he's making to ride the bench when we have so many other needs? I just don't see it.

I think we try to re-sign Worilds and part ways with Woodley. If we can't re-sign Worilds, then we go with Woodley and OLB becomes a higher draft priority.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Economics key to Woodley's fate   Economics key to Woodley's fate EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 2:53 am

Wallace108 wrote:
Even if it was financially possible to keep both, I don't see it happening. Worilds has stated that the only way he'll re-sign is if he starts. That's understandable considering how long he's waited and the kind of year he had last season. So if Worilds starts, why would we pay Woodley the kind of money he's making to ride the bench when we have so many other needs? I just don't see it.

I think we try to re-sign Worilds and part ways with Woodley. If we can't re-sign Worilds, then we go with Woodley and OLB becomes a higher draft priority.

WHAT HE SAID Economics key to Woodley's fate 1797695198 

I just don't know if Woodley can make it through a full season anymore so why pay him big bucks. I think Worilds is the smart choice. For what it's worth.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Economics key to Woodley's fate   Economics key to Woodley's fate Empty

Back to top Go down

Economics key to Woodley's fate
Page 1 of 1