Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeJames Harrison announces retirement Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

James Harrison announces retirement

Go down 
+3
Drizztbob
stlrtruck
Wallace108
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

James Harrison announces retirement Empty
PostSubject: James Harrison announces retirement   James Harrison announces retirement EmptySat Aug 30, 2014 2:35 pm

James Harrison formalized the decision NFL teams had seemingly made for him and announced his retirement Saturday.

The 36-year-old Harrison, who was the league's defensive MVP in 2008 while with the Pittsburgh Steelers, revealed his decision with a post on Facebook.

"I have made the difficult decision to retire as of today. My love for my family and the need to be there for them outweighs my desire to play the game. I have missed too many experiences with them because I devoted SO much time to my career," Harrison wrote.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/08/30/james-harrison-retires-steelers-bengals/14861517/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatodaycomnfl-topstories

James Harrison announces retirement Super+Bowl+XLIII+rpJiY9zgeHzl

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison announces retirement   James Harrison announces retirement EmptySat Aug 30, 2014 3:32 pm

Thanks for all the memories, especially that 102 interception return for a TD in SB XLIII

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION James Harrison announces retirement 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison announces retirement   James Harrison announces retirement EmptySat Aug 30, 2014 3:53 pm

Awesome player, wish he didn't bail at the end like he did. I don't like how is he saying family obligations are forcing him to retire...he JUST interviewed with the Cardinals and Russ told him to hang up the cleats, his time is over.

Just retire the way you played your NFL career, fearless.

stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison announces retirement   James Harrison announces retirement EmptySat Aug 30, 2014 11:10 pm

I think with his back problems over the last 5 years, it was time for him to go. He wasn't going to be a starter, and maybe that would've helped him prolong his career for a season or two, but it was time.

However, I don't suspect he wouldn't consider coming out of retirement if a team needed his service mid-season. Especially a playoff contender.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION James Harrison announces retirement 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison announces retirement   James Harrison announces retirement EmptySun Aug 31, 2014 12:31 am

I've got nothing but respect for Harrison. He wasn't a star with us long, but he shined brightly while he was here. I wish he had accepted less pay and remained a Steeler to finish his career, but I don't begrudge him trying to get a final payday at the end of his career. I have nothing but great memories of Harrison. The Super Bowl speaks for itself, but this is the one memory that will always stand out in my mind ...

James Harrison announces retirement C57a3284d83832ce0e1252e2c9f9e7de

Oh, and this ...

James Harrison announces retirement Harrison-massaquoi-front-si

Oh, and this ...

James Harrison announces retirement 6a00d8341c630a53ef01675eb3880f970b-600wi

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison announces retirement   James Harrison announces retirement EmptySun Aug 31, 2014 9:07 am

I wish him the best in retirement. He did a lot for us while he was here and I always liked his style,even when it brought fines.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison announces retirement   James Harrison announces retirement EmptySun Aug 31, 2014 12:57 pm

He was definitely a Steeler through and through. God speed.

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison announces retirement   James Harrison announces retirement EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 12:32 pm

^^This^^

He will always be a Steeler to me. I loved watching him play and the way he intimidated opponents.

I'll miss Deebo and never forget his history-making TD in the Super Bowl.

James Harrison announces retirement We_bel10
Back to top Go down
Tom_the_Torch
Xtreme Newb
Tom_the_Torch

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison announces retirement   James Harrison announces retirement EmptyTue Sep 02, 2014 1:46 pm

The guy was an absolute beast in the Black & Gold. I have so many memories of his play, I just wish he could have gone out a little bit more graceful.

He's not hanging up his cleats because he wants to spend more time with his family, he's doing it because he isn't willing to take something in the neighborhood of vet minimum to be a backup.

If he is serious about retirement, i.e. filing the papers with the NFL, I hope the Steelers can convince him to do a one-day contract and retire a Steeler. Because in my mind, he will ALWAYS be a Pittsburgh Steeler!

James Harrison announces retirement Disposition_zps3e9f0204

"He had no teethe,and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, you can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant. I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of here!" - John Elway after getting knocked out of his first career start by Jack Lambert

"If I could live my life over, I'd be a football player, and you damn well better believe I'd be a Pittsburgh Steeler!" - Jack Lambert in his Hall of Fame acceptance speech
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison announces retirement   James Harrison announces retirement EmptyTue Sep 02, 2014 3:53 pm

Tom_the_Torch wrote:
He's not hanging up his cleats because he wants to spend more time with his family, he's doing it because he isn't willing to take something in the neighborhood of vet minimum to be a backup.

I was thinking the same thing. Up until now, I've heard nothing but him wanting to return to the Steelers this season. There was some talk last week about him visiting the Cardinals, and I'm willing to bet there were talks with other teams as well. He probably couldn't find a deal he felt he deserved and decided to just hang it up. That's just my guess, of course.

Back to top Go down
Tom_the_Torch
Xtreme Newb
Tom_the_Torch

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison announces retirement   James Harrison announces retirement EmptyTue Sep 02, 2014 5:25 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Tom_the_Torch wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Up until now, I've heard nothing but him wanting to return to the Steelers this season. There was some talk last week about him visiting the Cardinals, and I'm willing to bet there were talks with other teams as well. He probably couldn't find a deal he felt he deserved and decided to just hang it up. That's just my guess, of course.

Yep. That's exactly it. Otherwise, he'd be a Steeler for vet minimum (or around that) to be a backup/insurance policy for Jarvis Jones and Jason Worilds. I wouldn't have minded that at all. Shoot, Porter coaching him and Harrison being an extra coach on the roster would have been great for Jarvis Jones!

James Harrison announces retirement Disposition_zps3e9f0204

"He had no teethe,and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, you can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant. I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of here!" - John Elway after getting knocked out of his first career start by Jack Lambert

"If I could live my life over, I'd be a football player, and you damn well better believe I'd be a Pittsburgh Steeler!" - Jack Lambert in his Hall of Fame acceptance speech
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: James Harrison announces retirement   James Harrison announces retirement Empty

Back to top Go down

James Harrison announces retirement
Page 1 of 1