Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeTwo Steelers running backs hit century mark in same game for first time since 1986 (article) Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Two Steelers running backs hit century mark in same game for first time since 1986 (article)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

Two Steelers running backs hit century mark in same game for first time since 1986 (article) Empty
PostSubject: Two Steelers running backs hit century mark in same game for first time since 1986 (article)   Two Steelers running backs hit century mark in same game for first time since 1986 (article) EmptyMon Sep 22, 2014 5:31 pm

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Carolina Panthers had the second-ranked rush defense in the NFL last season and allowed only one opposing running back to rush for 100 yards. That happened in Week 2 when the Bills' C.J. Spiller had 103 yards.

In the Steelers' 37-19 romp Sunday night they ended that impressive 16-game streak with a double dose of big backs the Panthers could not handle. Le'Veon Bell and LeGarrette Blount became the first Steelers running back tandem to each rush for 100 yards in a game since Oct. 26, 1986, when Earnest Jackson and Walter Abercrombie did it against Cincinnati. The 264 rushing yards were the most in a game in Mike Tomlin's tenure as coach.

Bell rushed for 147 yards, including an 81-yard sprint in the third quarter that changed the game. Blount did most of his damage in the fourth quarter, adding 118 yards, including a 50-yarder that set up the Steelers' fourth touchdown.

"We came in with a game plan and continued with the game plan," Bell said. "We wanted to pound those guys out. We knew they were patient. We just wanted to continue hitting and hitting them. Eventually, they broke."

Leading, 16-6, the Steelers were backed up on their 8 and facing second-and-22 when Bell took a handoff and ran right behind David DeCastro and Marcus Gilbert to set the Steelers up at the Carolina 11. Ben Roethlisberger ended the drive with a 7-yard touchdown pass to Antonio Brown to take a commanding 23-6 lead.

It was the first run of 80 yards or more by a Steelers running back since Willie Parker had an 80-yard run against the Browns on Christmas Eve in 2005.

Bell noticed a tendency in Carolina's Luke Kuechly, the reigning NFL defensive player of the year, and cut back through a gaping hole the over-pursuing linebacker vacated.

"Kuechly, he's a good player," Bell said. "There were a couple of times early in the game I kind of saw he was really playing the double well. That's our play, the double. On the 81-yard run, I made him think I was running outside. He flew outside and the offensive linemen did a great job driving the three-technique off the ball and opening the seam up. That seam was probably the biggest seam of my career. I hit it and ran until I couldn't run anymore."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/09/22/Backs-hit-century-mark-for-first-time-since-1986/stories/201409220162

Two Steelers running backs hit century mark in same game for first time since 1986 (article) We_bel10
Back to top Go down
GodSendBigBen
Xtreme Newb
GodSendBigBen

Two Steelers running backs hit century mark in same game for first time since 1986 (article) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Two Steelers running backs hit century mark in same game for first time since 1986 (article)   Two Steelers running backs hit century mark in same game for first time since 1986 (article) EmptyMon Sep 22, 2014 5:35 pm

After Blount went over 100 last night, I was wondering when the last time that happened was, because I dont remember ever seeing it. 1986 was 3 years before I was born haha.

Two Steelers running backs hit century mark in same game for first time since 1986 (article) 3056903510 ...And on the 7th day God Created Roethlsiberger, and he was damn good. :steelersflag:Check out My Blog Two Steelers running backs hit century mark in same game for first time since 1986 (article) 3262125054
Back to top Go down
http://johnyyrock.hubpages.com/

Two Steelers running backs hit century mark in same game for first time since 1986 (article)
Page 1 of 1