Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeTomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care Empty
PostSubject: Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care   Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 11:23 pm

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 28, 2011, 8:28 PM EDT

When James Harrison unleashed a tirade in the direction of NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell in a magazine interview during the lockout, it raised the ire of Harrison’s bosses. But even though Harrison made pointed comments at his teammates in the same interview, the men who share a locker room with Harrison don’t seem to mind.

Scott Brown of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said today that he has talked to Harrison and made clear he didn’t like what Harrison had to say.

“What he said regarding the commissioner is inappropriate,” Tomlin said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/28/tomlin-didnt-like-james-harrisons-comments-steelers-teammates-didnt-care/

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care   Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 8:59 am

I'm not so sure it was inappropriate. The man stated what many are feeling about Der Kommish and the fact that James Harrison isn't afraid to speak out about the way the NFL is being run is awesome.

He understands the game and the mentality necessary to play it. Der Kommish doesn't have a freakin' clue (and that surprises me considering he was a coach's kid).

Regardless, his remarks were right on target!

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Farrior_roirraW

Farrior_roirraW

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care   Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 12:21 pm

I'm more interested in what Goodell's opinion is at this point but nonetheless James still might have been right. Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care 1797695198

"I am proud to be a Steeler, no doubt about it. I was born to be a Steeler." - Farrior
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care   Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 3:02 pm

James Harrison apologizes for “way out of line” attack on Roger Goodell

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 29, 2011, 12:10 PM EDT

On second thought, Steelers linebacker James Harrison wishes he hadn’t called NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell the “devil” and a “crook.”

“The interview that I did and the comments that I made about Roger Goodell were inappropriate, at the least,” Harrison said today at Steelers camp, via James Walker of ESPN.com. “They were way out of line, and I was speaking out of anger and frustration at the time. Any comments that I made that offended anyone, I apologize.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/29/james-harrison-apologizes-for-way-out-of-line-attack-on-roger-goodell/

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care   Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 4:28 pm

No they weren't inappropriate. They were truthful. I'm sure a lot of fans feel the same way, that Goodell isn't good for the NFL. It's just you're a player and, well let's face it they don't like it when players talk truthfully.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care 3056903510

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care   Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 5:13 pm

stlrtruck wrote:
No they weren't inappropriate. They were truthful. I'm sure a lot of fans feel the same way, that Goodell isn't good for the NFL. It's just you're a player and, well let's face it they don't like it when players talk truthfully.
I'm torn on this ...

All of us rasslin' fans identified with Steve Austin, because we loved seeing an employee stand up and give the middle finger to his boss. We lived vicariously through Austin ... he did what we all wanted to do. But that was wrestling ... you can't do that in the real world, even if your boss is an idiot. Although I agree with Harrison's comments, you can't go around giving your middle finger to the boss. Well, you can ... but there are going to be repercussions.

Back to top Go down
Farrior_roirraW

Farrior_roirraW

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care   Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 5:57 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
stlrtruck wrote:
I'm torn on this ...

All of us rasslin' fans identified with Steve Austin, because we loved seeing an employee stand up and give the middle finger to his boss. We lived vicariously through Austin ... he did what we all wanted to do. But that was wrestling ... you can't do that in the real world, even if your boss is an idiot. Although I agree with Harrison's comments, you can't go around giving your middle finger to the boss. Well, you can ... but there are going to be repercussions.

Good analogy. I agree.

The only truly inappropriate thing Harrison said was calling Goodell a f***** or c***s***** (I don't know if we ever found out which one was said but surely that is crossing the line, no?)

"I am proud to be a Steeler, no doubt about it. I was born to be a Steeler." - Farrior
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care   Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 10:43 pm

Farrior_roirraW wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
stlrtruck wrote:
I'm torn on this ...

Good analogy. I agree.

The only truly inappropriate thing Harrison said was calling Goodell a f***** or c***s***** (I don't know if we ever found out which one was said but surely that is crossing the line, no?)

I'd say he was crossing the line at that point, but I just go back to the fact that how many fans feel the same way about Goodell. It's just good to hear that there are players out there that can see he's not the man to lead the NFL.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care   Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 5:01 am

Farrior_roirraW wrote:
He also called him a crook and the devil. Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care 1664291743

stlrtruck wrote:
I'd say he was crossing the line at that point, but I just go back to the fact that how many fans feel the same way about Goodell. It's just good to hear that there are players out there that can see he's not the man to lead the NFL.

Truck, I completely understand what you're saying, but you're speaking from an emotional standpoint.

It doesn't matter if what Harrison said was true or not, or whether fans agree. You can't call your boss out in public. Hell, most of us would be fired on the spot if we called our bosses out in private, much less in public. I agree with everything Harrison said about Goodell, but you can't embarrass your boss like that and expect to get away with it.

As a Steelers fan, of course I want Goodell to look the other way and let Harrison's comments slide. But if he decides to issue a punishment ... either fine or suspension ... I think we can be pissed, but we can't say it's unfair.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care   Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 5:46 am

You're right Wally, I am speaking from an emotional stand point. I do not like what Goodell has done to the NFL. He's made it some fantasy lover's league, and that's not what I've been a fan of for the last 35 years. While I enjoy fantasy football, I enjoy watching a good hitting football game above anything else. But now, with Goodell in control, I'm beginning to lose interest in the game because I start looking to see if that great hit I just saw is going to cost the player(s) money.

And Goodell isn't Harrison's boss. The Rooney's are Harrison's boss. Goodell just oversees the operations of the NFL, which makes me think that he has overstepped his boundaries in his dealings with players, owners, and the league.

And the fact of the matter is this, if we had bank like Harrison had bank, we'd probably be a lot more likely to tell our boss a few truthful facts as well.

1 NATION

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care   Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 10:52 am

stlrtruck wrote:
You're right Wally, I am speaking from an emotional stand point. I do not like what Goodell has done to the NFL. He's made it some fantasy lover's league, and that's not what I've been a fan of for the last 35 years. While I enjoy fantasy football, I enjoy watching a good hitting football game above anything else. But now, with Goodell in control, I'm beginning to lose interest in the game because I start looking to see if that great hit I just saw is going to cost the player(s) money.
You'll get no debate from me about Goodell. The sooner he's gone the better.

stlrtruck wrote:
And Goodell isn't Harrison's boss. The Rooney's are Harrison's boss. Goodell just oversees the operations of the NFL, which makes me think that he has overstepped his boundaries in his dealings with players, owners, and the league.
True, but the owners gave Goodell the power to enforce rules. I could be wrong, but I don't recall an owner challenging any fines or suspensions Goodell has handout out. Rooney wasn't too thrilled with Harrison's fines last season, but he didn't challenge it. So although Goodell isn't technically Harrison's boss, Harrison still has to answer to him.

stlrtruck wrote:
And the fact of the matter is this, if we had bank like Harrison had bank, we'd probably be a lot more likely to tell our boss a few truthful facts as well.
Unlike with me or you, who would be fired for saying those kind of things about our bosses, to some extent, Harrison can get away with speaking his mind. He won't be fired, but he could face some kind of discipline. I think it's similar to what happened with Mendy. People argued that Mendy has freedom of speech. That's true, but there's really no such thing as free speech. We're held accountable for whatever we say. Champion held Mendy accountable by firing him. And Goodell can hold Harrison accountable by fining or suspending him.

Here's what I'd like to see happen: Goodell and Harrison meet privately. Harrison explains why he said what he said. And Goodell says he understands Harrison's frustrations and decides not to hand out any punishment.

Back to top Go down
Farrior_roirraW

Farrior_roirraW

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care   Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 11:26 am

Wallace108 wrote:
Farrior_roirraW wrote:
He also called him a crook and the devil. Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care 1664291743

Eh. Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care 2087824411 Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care 312503953

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care   Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 11:32 am

Farrior_roirraW wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
Farrior_roirraW wrote:

Eh. Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care 2087824411 Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care 312503953
I've never said his description wasn't accurate. Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care 3798349058

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care   Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 1:04 am

Harrison should apologize for disparaging the name of the devil. Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care 3798349058

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care   Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care Empty

Back to top Go down

Tomlin didn’t like James Harrison’s comments, Steelers teammates didn’t care
Page 1 of 1