Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeTrib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution

Go down 
+7
LambertLunatic
SteelersNorth
OX1947
Hawaii 5-0
steelcrazy
Vis
Atlanta Dan
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Atlanta Dan

Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution Empty
PostSubject: Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution   Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 9:55 am

Some interesting stats in this column on Ben's changing style of play

Ben Roethlisberger has said he wants Sinatra's “My Way” to accompany his induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. That would be an appropriate choice for one of the unique quarterbacks in NFL history.

A conformist, Ben is not.

But it seems clear, based on simple observation and some striking numbers, that Roethlisberger has conformed to the Steelers' wishes. He has become precisely the kind of quarterback they envisioned when they switched offensive coordinators three years ago.

Now 33, Big Ben is a different player. Just don't try to get him to admit it.

I used the c-word — conform — on the first day of OTAs when I asked Roethlisberger about his evolution from a quarterback who held the ball longer than anyone in the NFL to one who gets rid of it faster than all but a few.

That's a fairly significant change, no? “I haven't changed my game at all,” he said.

The numbers scream otherwise. Statistics often lie, but in Roethlisberger's case, they tell the amazing true story of a quarterback who has morphed from freelance gunslinger to pocket marksman. His old style, though effective and highly entertaining, wasn't going to lend itself to a long career. He'd literally suffered injuries from head to toe (“Ben does not have broken toes, OK?”)

Now look. The numbers from Pro Football Focus couldn't be more eye-opening:

• Last season, Roethlisberger got rid of the ball in 2.5 seconds, on average, a figure topped by only five others. Compare that to, say, 2007, when he was the only quarterback in the league who held it for more than 3 seconds per attempt.

• In a related development, Roethlisberger faced less pressure than all but three quarterbacks (Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Andy Dalton) last season. The man used to want six people hanging on his back when he threw.

I asked him about the quicker release time.

“It's a direct reflection on Randy Fichtner, our quarterbacks coach, and how awesome he is,” Roethlisberger said. “He just knows how to get the ball out of my hands faster and coaches me every day on that.”

Fair enough, but there has to be more. Roethlisberger credited his line, his teammates and his coaches.

The truth is that all of them, plus GM Kevin Colbert and team president Art Rooney II, deserve credit. The Steelers have managed their No. 1 asset brilliantly. They knew Roethlisberger would have to change if he was going to be worth one more huge contract. They invested in the line, surrounded him with weapons, and, perhaps counterintuitively, put the ball in his hands more often than ever.

You see the result: Roethlisberger at his all-time best. He finally is putting up the kinds of dazzling stats his elite counterparts have always produced.

And here's the kicker. Contrary to popular belief — perhaps fueled by Roethlisberger himself — he still throws deep more often than most. The offense's design was part of our discussion of why he gets rid of the ball quicker.

“You know, (Bruce Arians) was known to go down the field and take shots, and so you're going to have to hold onto the ball,” Roethlisberger said. “(Now) we call a lot of plays to get the ball out quick. … Todd's offense is a lot about catching the ball and running, so I think that's what it is, more than me changing.”

Actually, few offenses attack deep more often than Haley's. The idea that he has somehow shackled Roethlisberger is ludicrous.

The Envelope of Inconvenient Facts, please:

• No team attempted more “bombs” — passes that traveled at least 40 yards in the air — than the Steelers' 19 last season (credit Scott Kacsmar of Football Outsiders for that). The other two with 19 were Arians' Arizona Cardinals and the Philadelphia Eagles.

• Only one team had more completions of 40-plus yards.

• Only Andrew Luck attempted more passes that traveled at least 20 yards in the air (Pro Football Focus).

• Roethlisberger was third in yards per attempt (8.3).

Any of that sound like dink-and-dunk?

I finally won a concession from Roethlisberger when I mentioned it's patently obvious that he's freelancing less these days.

“Well, I'm getting older,” he said. “Guys are getting younger and faster, and I'm not getting any faster. If I don't have to run around, I don't, but there are still times I feel I can make a play. I've always said there's no plan to do it or not do it. Just let it happen.”

It's happening, all right.

Just the way the Steelers envisioned.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8479820-74/com-sports-triblive#axzz3buYhHLVG

Back to top Go down
Vis

Vis

PostSubject: Re: Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution   Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 11:51 am

Fire Arians

steelcrazy

PostSubject: Re: Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution   Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 10:51 pm

no reason barring injury (God forbid) we shouldnt be able to enjoy watching BB play at an elite level for the next 4-6 seasons..and of course i'm biased but i strongly feel they have 1 or 2 more legitamate superbowl runs before he hangs up his cleats Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution 1414754481 Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution 1948569602

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution   Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 1:15 am

Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib -

I came to realization today that the Steelers are 5-11 team without Roethlisberger and 11-5 with him. Not sure if any team has larger gap

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib
Back to top Go down
OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution   Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 1:21 am

Evolution of Big ben is MVP season with Super Bowl win. If he can do that, he would be 1st ballet hall of fame and put a nice cherry on top of his stellar stiller career
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution   Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 7:29 am

Based on that comment saying Ben 'needs' another super bowl and MVP that would mean the following:
Brees, Rivers, and Luck don't make the HOF and Flacco will (I only lumped Luck in since all the media think he's just a tier below Rodgers which is a farce unto itself)

What basically needs to happen is Ben needs to sustain what he has been doing for the last 2-3 season and avg. 43-4600yards and 30td passes he will end in the top 10 easily and potentially top 5 depending on how said season(s) go.
MVP I've come to realize means nothing since last year was a joke and said winner won due to who they are not becasue they were the 'actual' MVP.
Now don't get me wrong, IF Ben even just wins another Super Bowl its a lock as no 3 time winner has been denied the HOF. The only 2 time winner not in is Plunkett.
Back to top Go down
LambertLunatic
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution   Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 10:10 am

I'd like to see Ben named a SB MVP. He should have been MVP of SB XLIII IMO.
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution   Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 10:10 am

really good article. i took several things away from it-

1. great to finally put to rest (hopefully) the myth that todd haley runs a "dink and dunk" offense.

2. great to hear ben giving such high praise to randy fitchner (whom we seldom hear anything about). hopefully gradkowski and jones are learning alot from him as well.

3. i agree with ben that not much has really changed with the offense and style of play, but a hell of alot has improved.

in the past, i'd say there were about 7-8 plays per game that were either sacks, interceptions, incompletions, or called running plays for loss-no gain (otherwise shoulda been a called pass play).

those plays have now been converted to about 7-8 extra short passing plays (and about 5-6 extra completions/ game).

the result is about 50 extra yards passing for ben, more pass plays being called, fewer sacks, and fewer interceptions.

ben still plays sandlot, shakes off defenders, chucks it down field, and i think is still just as exciting to watch.

he's just better now, and whether he ever wants to admit it or not, it is because of the slight change in philosophy and approach from rosetta stone haley.

his evolution as a player has been handled masterfully from the top (rooneys) on down. just look at the weapons and protection colbert keeps getting him, and the top notch coaching he receives. i, too, agree that he should have 5-6 good years left in him (and our defense will be sick in those years).

. .
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution   Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 10:14 am

FWIW... bruce arians was interviewed the other day on NFL network and asked if he could coach any player not on the cardinals, who would it be, and with no hesitation said ben roethlisberger.

as much as i wanted him replaced, i still gotta hand it to him.

. .
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution   Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 1:01 pm

that's because Ben won BA a Super Bowl behind the worst oline in the NFL and the toughest sked that season.

I'm hoping history repeats itself sans the poor oline part lol
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution   Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 3:57 pm

SteelersNorth wrote:
that's because Ben won BA a Super Bowl behind the worst oline in the NFL and the toughest sked that season.

Don't you know BA won that Super Bowl and was responsible for any success the Steelers had from 2007 - 2011? Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution 1664291743

As Tony posted above, I have gotten past my anger at BA when he was with the Steelers and am glad he has found great success in Indy and Arizona - also glad he is gone or IMO Ben would be broken by now
Back to top Go down
OX1947

OX1947

PostSubject: Re: Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution   Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 4:13 pm

^I am harsher on Hall of Fame players getting in. If you have to ask if someone is a Hall of Famer, he isn't, in my book. Right now, you have to ask when it comes to Big Ben. If he wins 3 titles, its automatic. All these inflated numbers do not mean much to me. You have marginal QB's throwing for 4K now and 25 TD's, the league is Arena Football for QBs now, so numbers just dont hold as much water.

I couldn't care less about a hall of famer, I am a Steelers fan not a hall of fame fan of Steelers players. I am happy when Steelers get in, but I am not invested in it. I am invested in the Steelers winning and stretching the Super Bowl lead to two by next year. If Ben is the guy, then so be it. I want him to win MVP and the SB and get into the Hall because the chances of those happening mean Lombardi's in the display cases.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution   Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 4:15 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

I came to realization today that the Steelers are 5-11 team without Roethlisberger and 11-5 with him. Not sure if any team has larger gap

That's the difference for just about any team with a franchise QB. But still true. Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution 1401235891
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution   Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 4:22 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

That's the difference for just about any team with a franchise QB. But still true. Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution 1401235891

Sometimes more than 6 games - I guess Kaboly never saw the 2011 Colts without Peyton

2010 Colts 10-6
2011 Colts 2-14
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution   Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 8:07 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

Pretty much, but that's not a knock on the team. Any team that has a franchise QB builds the team around it. When you lose the main piece the wheels fall off.
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution   Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 7:27 am

Atlanta Dan wrote:
SteelersNorth wrote:

Don't you know BA won that Super Bowl and was responsible for any success the Steelers had from 2007 - 2011? Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution 1664291743

As Tony posted above, I have gotten past my anger at BA when he was with the Steelers and am glad he has found great success in Indy and Arizona - also glad he is gone or IMO Ben would be broken by now

I was just pointing out that the reason he would say Ben as the guy to coach is because he won him that SB. Its going to be tough on BA to win one with Arizona cause he's got Palmer at QB.

But I agree, I think BA 'retiring' was the best thing for Ben's career and the team itself on offense is better because of that too.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution   Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 9:08 am

I think, the Steelers intelligent design of Big Ben, should be the title and the story. Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution 1797695198
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution   Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 9:12 am

SteelersNorth wrote:
Atlanta Dan wrote:
SteelersNorth wrote:

I was just pointing out that the reason he would say Ben as the guy to coach is because he won him that SB. Its going to be tough on BA to win one with Arizona cause he's got Palmer at QB.

But I agree, I think BA 'retiring' was the best thing for Ben's career and the team itself on offense is better because of that too.
well thats a pretty selfish and sinister reason for arians to say something like that, dont you think?

the reason arians said that, is because he knows ben on many levels.  ben is one of the fiercest competitors in the game,  the toughest qb in the game, and undoubtably one of the best all around qb's in the game.

thats why he said it, regardless if he wins sb's (vs AZ) or loses them (vs GB).

. .
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution   Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 9:54 am

You're right.
I think he misses being in Pittsburgh coaching a guy he thoroughly enjoyed coaching. Which is why I think he says Ben all the time. He could have said Luck but he never does. And with Ben getting him that ring I think that puts him #1 regardless of who he coached previously, currently or potentially in the future unless that guy wins him another ring.

Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution   Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 10:51 am

SteelersNorth wrote:
You're right.
I think he misses being in Pittsburgh coaching a guy he thoroughly enjoyed coaching. Which is why I think he says Ben all the time. He could have said Luck but he never does. And with Ben getting him that ring I think that puts him #1 regardless of who he coached previously, currently or potentially in the future unless that guy wins him another ring.

damn... i didnt even think about him not even mentioning Luck (or even P. Manning for that matter).

ring or no ring, i think ben and arians share some very similar traits- (which explains their close relationship).

"throw caution to the wind", riverboat gambling, swashbucklers. Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution 1797695198

. .
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution   Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 11:11 am

Ben would probably be dead if BA was still the OC.
Although maybe not since they have re-built the oline, so we'll never know if BAs style would work with what we now have on offense.

Only if he didn't 'retire' lol
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution   Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 1:20 pm

i think BA's approach (or lack thereof) to the offensive line, was part of the reason it sucked. i also believe he wouldnt have worked well with mike munchak. i have a strange suspicion egos may have gotten in the way.

. .
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

PostSubject: Re: Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution   Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 1:40 pm

Its funny to see when Haley was the KC skip he looked like he was a bit of a hot head.
Yet when you look back to when he was OC in Arizona and now with us he's kinda mellowed.
Then agian the QB could have something to do with it in Warner and Ben compared to Cassell lol
So maybe Haley knows he's lucky to be coaching a guy like Ben at this point in his career.

Personally I think if the O repeats what it did last year and the D plays avg to slightly above avg and it gets some timely ints/turnovers we'll be fine. But if someone BIG goes down on O in the killer B's we're F'd. Mainly if its Ben because even though I have confidence in Gradkowski like I did with Chuck they can't carry the team or make the plays that Ben does. Bell would be next since I don't know what to expect from Williams. I think the WR depth is amazing. So I'm not saying losing AB wouldn't hurt as it would hurt a lot, I just think someone or multiple guys would step up and fill the void quicker than we all think.

I say 11-5 again and division champs possible 1st rd bye too.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution   Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 3:40 pm

Steelers' offensive supporting cast draws raves from Roethlisberger

Jeremy Fowler, ESPN Senior NFL Writer

PITTSBURGH -- Ben Roethlisberger sees the 2015 Steelers as "arguably" the best offensive supporting cast he has had since entering the league in 2004, the Pittsburgh quarterback said in an interview Wednesday.

The Steelers have the league's leading receiver in Antonio Brown, who has 239 catches and 3,197 yards since 2013. They have Le'Veon Bell, the league's second-leading rusher with 1,361 yards who also caught 83 passes last season. They have talented young receivers such as Martavis Bryant and Markus Wheaton, along with an offensive line that's started together the past two years. Tight end Heath Miller is still reliable.

"I hate to say yes or no, because I don't want to offend anybody else that's been here," said Roethlisberger after an organized team activity session. "But you look at stats from the NFL, we had the No. 1 wide receiver and the No. 1 overall back. Kind of hard to argue with those numbers."

to read rest of article:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13052127/pittsburgh-steelers-offensive-supporting-cast-draws-raves-ben-roethlisberger
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

PostSubject: Re: Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution   Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution EmptyThu Jun 11, 2015 9:13 am

Good comment on SI.com about Ben's increased ability to read defenses adding to his skill in keeping a play alive

Pressure cooker: QBs who shine or wilt when facing defensive pressure

Let's look at the best quarterbacks when under pressure—the ones that make enemy defenses live with regret....

Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers

We saved the best for last. Big Ben has been making big plays with defenders hanging all over him for years, so it's no surprise that he'd be one of the better throwers under pressure. But over the last couple seasons, it's his accuracy, efficiency and ability to read defenses on the run that have set him apart. In 2014, Roethlisberger was pressured 177 times, completing 89 of 140 passes (a league-leading 63.6% completion rate under pressure) for 11 touchdowns and not one single interception.

This play against the Chiefs in Week 16 was perhaps the best example of why Roethlisberger is so frustrating for defenses. He beats the line pressure with some nimble footwork after the protection breaks down, dances his way through the trash, and fires a bullet to Antonio Brown for the touchdown. Bonus points to Brown for navigating the coverage and getting free over time -- this is one of the primary skills any top receiver for a mobile quarterback must master. But it was Roethlisberger who perfectly read Kansas City's pressure-to-coverage concepts and created the opportunity when many quarterbacks would collapse under the pressure.

Put simply, that's what the great ones do.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/06/10/nfl-quarterbacks-best-worst-under-pressure-andy-dalton-aaron-rodgers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution   Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution Empty

Back to top Go down

Trib-Review Column: Big Ben's Evolution
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next