Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers trim roster to final 53 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers trim roster to final 53

Go down 
+8
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
SoCalFan
Hawaii 5-0
BlackAndGold
El-Gonzo Jackson
Atlanta Dan
ETL
tony hipchest
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
tony hipchest

Steelers trim roster to final 53 Empty
PostSubject: Steelers trim roster to final 53   Steelers trim roster to final 53 EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 12:12 pm

Some notable cuts were BW Webb, Kevin fogg, Gerald holiday, doug leGursky, Josh Harris.

They sign some second year CB who was cut by buffalo- Ross cockrell. Steelers trim roster to final 53 2829330259

Everyone else we pretty much knew was getting cut.

. .
Back to top Go down
ETL

ETL

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trim roster to final 53   Steelers trim roster to final 53 EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 12:39 pm

Of note - we only kept 2 RBs: Williams and Archer
I guess they are thinking that Johnson or Nix can be the 3rd RB if needed. I wouldn't mind picking up someone that gets cut - the Eagles and Lions seem to have a plethora of good RBs

Also we have 10 LBs and 11 Defensive backs - the most that I can ever remember. Either we still don't know who is good or they are just place markers for when Bell and Bryant return.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trim roster to final 53   Steelers trim roster to final 53 EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 12:43 pm

I guess Legursky comes back after Pouncey goes on IR?

Steelers clearly still looking for competent DBs
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trim roster to final 53   Steelers trim roster to final 53 EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 12:47 pm

Bell and Bryant are already on the roster so nobody is peacemakers on them.  Lekarskie should be back when Pouncey is placed on the IR. They may wait until after week one to sign up that way his contract is not guaranteed for the whole year.

Tunch ilkin seemed to think they were happy using will Johnson as a short line goal line short yardage back and back up to DeAngelo Williams especially with Rosavelt Nix blocking for him.

But yeah, the waiver wire is still definitely in play.

. .
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trim roster to final 53   Steelers trim roster to final 53 EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 12:54 pm

I'm glad we kept all of our best special team aces.

. .
Back to top Go down
ETL

ETL

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trim roster to final 53   Steelers trim roster to final 53 EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 1:06 pm

tony hipchest wrote:
Bell and Bryant are already on the roster so nobody is peacemakers on them.  Lekarskie should be back when Pouncey is placed on the IR. They may wait until after week one to sign up that way his contract is not guaranteed for the whole year.

Tunch ilkin seemed to think they were happy using will Johnson as a short line goal line short yardage back and back up to DeAngelo Williams especially with Rosavelt Nix blocking for him.

When I count to 53 - I am not counting Bell or Bryant and they are not listed on the depth chart. I don't think they are being counted as part of the 53. Pouncey on the other had is being counted as part of the 53 and when he is placed on short term IR - someone will be signed.

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trim roster to final 53   Steelers trim roster to final 53 EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 3:49 pm

tony hipchest wrote:
Some notable cuts were BW Webb, Kevin fogg, Gerald holiday, doug leGursky, Josh Harris.

They sign some second year CB who was cut by buffalo- Ross cockrell.  Steelers trim roster to final 53 2829330259

Everyone else we pretty much knew was getting cut.

Ross Cockrell was from Duke and is a smart cover 2 type CB that keeps things in front of him. He looked really good at the East West Shrine game his draft year and I was personally hoping the Steelers drafted him. Getting cut from Buffalo doesn't bode well, but they obviously scouted him and liked what they saw. Hopefully becomes a nice pickup they develop.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trim roster to final 53   Steelers trim roster to final 53 EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 5:24 pm

Cockrell was the guy I wished they drafted instead of Archer at the time.

If anyone remembers he played very well against 1st round picks Mike Evans(really frustrated him) & Kelvin Benjamin. (during his time at Duke)

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trim roster to final 53   Steelers trim roster to final 53 EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 6:32 pm

ETL wrote:
tony hipchest wrote:

When I count to 53 - I am not counting Bell or Bryant and they are not listed on the depth chart.  I don't think they are being counted as part of the 53.  Pouncey on the other had is being counted as part of the 53 and when he is placed on short term IR - someone will be signed.
you have to count Bell and Bryant because they are on the 53 man roster. They haven't been released and aren't on season ending IR.

Teams can't stack their rosters just because players get suspended.

There is a difference between the roster and depth chart going into week 1. Of course they won't be listed on the depth chart, they're not allowed to play.

. .
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trim roster to final 53   Steelers trim roster to final 53 EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 9:35 pm

BlackAndGold wrote:

If anyone remembers he played very well against 1st round picks Mike Evans(really frustrated him) & Kelvin Benjamin. (during his time at Duke)

I liked him too and wish they took him instead. I thought Jaylen Watkins was better value in the 3rd but really am thrilled he ended up here. Here is a few quick clips from Cockrell.

Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trim roster to final 53   Steelers trim roster to final 53 EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 9:49 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:

I liked him too and wish they took him instead.  I thought Jaylen Watkins was better value in the 3rd but really am thrilled he ended up here.  Here is a few quick clips from Cockrell.

well hopefully everything works out in the end in the archer pick ends up being a wash. It says something that they dumped fog and web in favour of this dude.  

But I am curious why he wasn't brought to camp a month earlier when the bills cut him. I'm guessing injury and any possible liabilities for him.

. .
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trim roster to final 53   Steelers trim roster to final 53 EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 9:54 pm

tony hipchest wrote:

you have to count Bell and Bryant because they are on the 53 man roster.  They haven't been released and aren't on season ending IR.

I don't believe suspended players count against the 53-man roster. once Le'Veon and Martavis' suspensions are up the Steelers will have to release a player each time:

"The two players put on the suspended list were Le’Veon Bell, who’ll miss the first two games, and Martavis Bryant, who will miss the first four.

“It really didn’t present challenges. It clarified some of the challenges associated with putting together the 53,” said Tomlin about the suspensions. “Often you spend a lot of time debating over guys Nos. 50-55 and how to sort those guys out. Having those two additional spots minimized that discussion.”

It’s possible that having those two additional spots allowed the Steelers to open with two fullbacks – Will Johnson and Roosevelt Nix – among their four running backs."

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Tomlin-on-the-53-man-roster/3ac3aaab-d458-4a60-9238-73148fbc6a23
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trim roster to final 53   Steelers trim roster to final 53 EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 11:06 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
tony hipchest wrote:

you have to count Bell and Bryant because they are on the 53 man roster.  They haven't been released and aren't on season ending IR.

I don't believe suspended players count against the 53-man roster. once Le'Veon and Martavis' suspensions are up the Steelers will have to release a player each time:

"The two players put on the suspended list were Le’Veon Bell, who’ll miss the first two games, and Martavis Bryant, who will miss the first four.

“It really didn’t present challenges. It clarified some of the challenges associated with putting together the 53,” said Tomlin about the suspensions. “Often you spend a lot of time debating over guys Nos. 50-55 and how to sort those guys out. Having those two additional spots minimized that discussion.”

It’s possible that having those two additional spots allowed the Steelers to open with two fullbacks – Will Johnson and Roosevelt Nix – among their four running backs."

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Tomlin-on-the-53-man-roster/3ac3aaab-d458-4a60-9238-73148fbc6a23
I wonder if that is something new. That just doesn't sound right. Otherwise when someone was injured you would just be able to bring up another player to replace them for a few weeks. Which isn't the case.  I am almost certain that if a player is suspended for games in the middle of a season you cannot own the rights to 54 players being on the roster.  Maybe I am wrong. Steelers trim roster to final 53 2087824411

If that is the case Nix could definitely be seen as a placeholder.

. .
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trim roster to final 53   Steelers trim roster to final 53 EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 12:45 am

Yep... 55 are listed on the final roster, so I am guessing it will be rose nix and Tony Chikillo sent to the practice squad when Bell and Bryant return.

I had no idea that exemption was in place, but then again the Steelers never have players suspended for me to worry about it.

. .
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trim roster to final 53   Steelers trim roster to final 53 EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 7:37 am

tony hipchest wrote:
Yep... 55 are listed on the final roster, so I am guessing it will be rose nix and Tony Chikillo sent to the practice squad when Bell and Bryant return.

I had no idea that exemption was in place, but then again the Steelers never have players suspended for me to worry about it.

Yeah, I was thinking there still are some roster moves to come. Nix, Chickillo, Murphy might all still be candidates to get bumped off the 53.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trim roster to final 53   Steelers trim roster to final 53 EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 1:18 pm

@MarkKaboly_Trib
Steelers officially sign Jordan Todman. Release Doran Grant. Also claimed defensive end Caushaud Lyons from the Tampa waived Chickillo.

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/status/640573794143367168

Another drafted CB that been cut. They have drafted zero talent to the secondary.

But both Grant & Chickillo are expected to head to the PS as most would expect

Last edited by BlackAndGold on Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SoCalFan

SoCalFan

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trim roster to final 53   Steelers trim roster to final 53 EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 1:21 pm

Doran Grant gone, signed running back Jordan Todman, claimed DE Cashaud Lyons!? Shocked

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trim roster to final 53   Steelers trim roster to final 53 EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 1:31 pm

Grant gone wow.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trim roster to final 53   Steelers trim roster to final 53 EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 1:38 pm

Grant wasn't that impressive but this team needs to get better when it comes to drafting DBs.

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trim roster to final 53   Steelers trim roster to final 53 EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 1:49 pm

Golson and Grant, success stories

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trim roster to final 53   Steelers trim roster to final 53 EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 2:00 pm

SoCalFan wrote:
Doran Grant gone, signed running back Jordan Todman, claimed DE Cashaud Lyons!? Shocked

Cashaud Lyons was an UDFA from Div II Tusculum who played very well in pre-season for the Bucs but got caught at a very deep position for them. Tampa Bay was trying to sneak him onto their PS, a good signing by the Steelers...
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trim roster to final 53   Steelers trim roster to final 53 EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 2:09 pm

I'm starting to read up on Lyons, He's raw but with Coach Mitchell he could become something so who knows.

Keeping two fullbacks is looking dumb Imo. But I'll trust the front office.

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trim roster to final 53   Steelers trim roster to final 53 EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 2:32 pm

One Steeler definitely hurt by Shark's benching is Ross Ventrone. Shark going to be starting gunner now opposite Blake. #Steelers

— Alex Kozora (@Alex_Kozora) September 6, 2015
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trim roster to final 53   Steelers trim roster to final 53 EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 3:44 pm

BlackAndGold wrote:
I'm starting to read up on Lyons, He's raw but with Coach Mitchell he could become something so who knows.

Keeping two fullbacks is looking dumb Imo. But I'll trust the front office.

Yeah, I would have waived one FB. I honestly don't think Grant will last too long on the PS. He and Chickillo will get signed elsewhere by week 5 IMO.
Back to top Go down
SteelerSpartan

SteelerSpartan

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trim roster to final 53   Steelers trim roster to final 53 EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 4:14 pm

They officially pulled the plug on shark starting....who is the other safety out there with Mitchell then...Will Allen

edit: never mind just saw it in the other thread

Our secondary drafting has been really sub par......c.Allen and Shark brain farting has really set the defensive backfield back.

Hope there is some miraculous light bulb turning on moment this season......but it looks like the offense better be finding a way to score 35-40 a game

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers trim roster to final 53   Steelers trim roster to final 53 Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers trim roster to final 53
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next