Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeAnalyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback

Go down 
+18
BlackAndGold
kirklandrules
FrancoLambert
SteelCityUnderground
kan_t
Buddha Bus
BKAnthem
SteelersCanada
effyou515
PhantomJB93
steelers5895
SteelerFreak58
teegre
ImperialFan
Fire Arians
SteelerSpartan
pczach
solardave
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback   Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2016 3:02 am

This could be the year they finally take a CB in round 1.

Reason why?
OG? I believe they re-sign Foster, so won't be a need.
OT? No.
TE? Is Henry worth the #25 selection? I've back off of Henry so Imo, no he's not. (Also don't think they take a TE at all...)
Safety? Don't see a round 1 safety, the better value is in rounds 2-3. (Neal, Simmons, Cash, Powell)
DE/DT? Possible, but can't see them taking a DE just to be a rotational player in round 1. They can find someone like Jihad Ward or Carl Nassip in rounds 2-3.
OLB? Don't see one being available at #25, If Debo comes back, I bet they role with the same 5 as last year.

It's setting up to be a CB if a player like Jackson is there.

Watch them take a QB Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 1797695198

kirklandrules

Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback   Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2016 11:24 am

BlackAndGold wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Eli Apple ran an official 4.40 time, pretty darn fast for a CB over 6' tall and weighing 200 lbs.

Showed nice ball skills also today. I believe he goes before #25.

Ramsey(I think he's a safety)-top 5
Hargreaves-top 10
Apple-top 20
Alexander/Jackson iii.- top 30

The top 2 will be gone in the top 10 picks, as you stated. Apple probably worked his way into the top 15, but it all depends on how the draft unfolds. But I really don't think he'll be there at 25. I like both Alexander and Jackson ... saw more of Alexander last season. He's a stud and people tend to forget that opposing QBs just didn't throw his way. For a kid with a slightly thicker frame, he was like glue on those WRs. I'd be happy with any of those 3 (Apple, Alexander, Jackson).
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback   Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2016 11:50 am

kirklandrules wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Eli Apple ran an official 4.40 time, pretty darn fast for a CB over 6' tall and weighing 200 lbs.

Hargreaves-top 10
Apple-top 20

The top 2 will be gone in the top 10 picks, as you stated. Apple probably worked his way into the top 15, but it all depends on how the draft unfolds. But I really don't think he'll be there at 25. I like both Alexander and Jackson ... saw more of Alexander last season. He's a stud and people tend to forget that opposing QBs just didn't throw his way. For a kid with a slightly thicker frame, he was like glue on those WRs. I'd be happy with any of those 3 (Apple, Alexander, Jackson).

It's possible for a total of 12-13 d-lineman to be drafted in round 1. If there is a run on that position it may lead to Jackson falling.

As a Clemson fan I'm a huge fan of Alexander, and I'd be ecstatic if he became a Steeler. He's getting unwarranted hate for not recording an INT his whole college career but come his Pro Day, he's going to put on a show which imo will put him back as the 3rd or 4th best CB.

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback   Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2016 12:03 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

Hargreaves-top 10
Apple-top 20

Yeah with those measurables, he's definitely not making it to 25
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback   Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2016 4:30 pm

BlackAndGold wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:
BlackAndGold wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:

Hargreaves-top 10
Apple-top 20

It's possible for a total of 12-13 d-lineman to be drafted in round 1. If there is a run on that position it may lead to Jackson falling.

As a Clemson fan I'm a huge fan of Alexander, and I'd be ecstatic if he became a Steeler. He's getting unwarranted hate for not recording an INT his whole college career but come his Pro Day, he's going to put on a show which imo will put him back as the 3rd or 4th best CB.

I don't think it's a matter of Jackson falling to the Steelers. He was mostly projected as a 2nd rounder ... until his performance in the combine. So he probably will be sitting there at 25. Check this out ...

NFL Combine Jackson Article
Back to top Go down
PhantomJB93

PhantomJB93

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback   Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2016 7:35 pm

Something interesting to see will be what they do at NT. It's been well documented that we've used the NT dramatically less the last year or two then ever before. Is that because it's not as important in our defense (hence, now way will an early pick be used there), or because we just don't have a guy talented enough to be worth playing there as many snaps as Hampton used to?

If it is more the latter than the former, I won't be surprised to see us run to the podium and select a NT when everyone thinks we'll go CB.
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback   Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2016 12:38 am

PhantomJB93 wrote:
Something interesting to see will be what they do at NT.  It's been well documented that we've used the NT dramatically less the last year or two then ever before.  Is that because it's not as important in our defense (hence, now way will an early pick be used there), or because we just don't have a guy talented enough to be worth playing there as many snaps as Hampton used to?

If it is more the latter than the former, I won't be surprised to see us run to the podium and select a NT when everyone thinks we'll go CB.

Well if its Butler/Billings I wouldn't mind. But I like Butler.
Back to top Go down
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback   Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2016 2:13 am

PhantomJB93 wrote:
Something interesting to see will be what they do at NT.  It's been well documented that we've used the NT dramatically less the last year or two then ever before.  Is that because it's not as important in our defense (hence, now way will an early pick be used there), or because we just don't have a guy talented enough to be worth playing there as many snaps as Hampton used to?

I think it's both. They play more sub-package because of the passing happy trend in recent years and at the same time they don't have a NT who is as disruptive as Hampton. Steve McLendon is doing a decent job at NT but he's a two down NT who is good at stopping the run. A worthy first round NT should be able to play third down, stopping the run AND rushing the passer. I wouldn't be surprise if they select a NT in the first round if they couldn't re-sign McLendon.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback   Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2016 10:32 am

kan_t wrote:
PhantomJB93 wrote:

I think it's both. They play more sub-package because of the passing happy trend in recent years and at the same time they don't have a NT who is as disruptive as Hampton. Steve McLendon is doing a decent job at NT but he's a two down NT who is good at stopping the run. A worthy first round NT should be able to play third down, stopping the run AND rushing the passer. I wouldn't be surprise if they select a NT in the first round if they couldn't re-sign McLendon.

It's because the pass happy league has the Steelers playing sub-package football 75% of the time. In obvious passing downs, the NT comes off the field for another DB, leaving only 2 down linemen (DEs). McLendon did some spot duty at DE and will continue to help in that regard unless the Steelers build depth behind Heyward and Tuitt. As I mentioned in another post, McLendon and McCullers are still import because you still need the big bodies for short yardage, goalline, and in situations the other team is most likely going to try to run the ball (maybe run out the clock).

NT is an interesting thought, but given where they have gone with this defense, I don't see them selecting a NT at all ... let alone in the 1st round. I think they are content with McLendon and McCullers (we'll know if they are content with McLendon if he receives a new contract this offseason).
Back to top Go down
SteelersCanada

SteelersCanada

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback   Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 7:03 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
SteelersCanada wrote:
Dollars to donuts they don't draft a CB in RD1.

Canadian dollars?

What do you think about safety?

Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 1797695198

I'm not sure what to think about this years safety class. There are a few guys who I believe are probably better served as a 43 WOLB in Su'a and Cash, but there's a few intriguing names left. I don't know if any of them are first round picks though. Guys like Bell are second round picks with extraordinarily high upside, but come with their fair share of issues particularly in coverage.

Darian Thompson was originally a name to look out for in the first round, but his lack of athleticism at the combine is a little concerning. I always put less emphasis on the combine than others, but a 4.7 for a FS is... not good.

I will say this though: William Jackson ran well at the combine and has some intriguing traits. Ramsey is the clear-cut #1 in this years draft class for me, but the gap is closing. It'll be interesting to see how far Mackensie Alexander falls and should he be there at 25, the front office has a few choices to make.

I'm going to continue pounding the table for Noah Spence but his athleticism may have bumped him far out of the Steelers' range.

Someone else I've been intrigued by recently: Leonard Floyd. I know, another Georgia edge rusher.

I'll save you guys the time: it's time to shut up about Leonard Floyd.™️
Back to top Go down
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback   Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 7:13 am

kirklandrules wrote:
kan_t wrote:
PhantomJB93 wrote:

It's because the pass happy league has the Steelers playing sub-package football 75% of the time. In obvious passing downs, the NT comes off the field for another DB, leaving only 2 down linemen (DEs). McLendon did some spot duty at DE and will continue to help in that regard unless the Steelers build depth behind Heyward and Tuitt. As I mentioned in another post, McLendon and McCullers are still import because you still need the big bodies for short yardage, goalline, and in situations the other team is most likely going to try to run the ball (maybe run out the clock).

NT is an interesting thought, but given where they have gone with this defense, I don't see them selecting a NT at all ... let alone in the 1st round. I think they are content with McLendon and McCullers (we'll know if they are content with McLendon if he receives a new contract this offseason).
If a first round talent NT is available, I'm sure that he won't be limited to 25% of snaps. No doubt that the increase of passing in today game causes the heavy use of sub-package. But at the same time it's probably has something to do with the Steelers weak secondary AND lack of pass rush from the NT position. Mclendon has done a nice job stopping the run but he's not the one who could really collapse the pocket. So there is really no reason for the Steelers to use him unless it's a clear running situation. I would expect a first round talent like Billings or Bulter could stop the run AND rush the passer. And they should be athletic enough to play DE occasionally to keep Tuitt and Heyward fresh. McLendon is also not young anymore. If Billings or Bulter is available, the Steelers should seriously consider taking them.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback   Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 2:27 pm

Walter Football's latest mock draft: (updated 3/3)

1(25) Pittsburgh Steelers: Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State

The Steelers haven't selected a first-round cornerback in a very long time, but that's exactly what everyone said about them and an edge rusher, and the Chiefs and a corner, and the Cowboys and a lineman. These things change, and Pittsburgh's current status in terms of its secondary could prompt the front office to go against recent trends.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2016_1.php#CZdiom4UdvJ6BfTU.99
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback   Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 2:46 pm

kan_t wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:
kan_t wrote:
PhantomJB93 wrote:

If a first round talent NT is available, I'm sure that he won't be limited to 25% of snaps. No doubt that the increase of passing in today game causes the heavy use of sub-package. But at the same time it's probably has something to do with the Steelers weak secondary AND lack of pass rush from the NT position. Mclendon has done a nice job stopping the run but he's not the one who could really collapse the pocket. So there is really no reason for the Steelers to use him unless it's a clear running situation. I would expect a first round talent like Billings or Bulter could stop the run AND rush the passer. And they should be athletic enough to play DE occasionally to keep Tuitt and Heyward fresh. McLendon is also not young anymore. If Billings or Bulter is available, the Steelers should seriously consider taking them.

Ok. I agree in theory with what you're saying. I should state my response this way: Up until and through the 2015 season, the Steelers removed the NT and replaced with a DB in sub-package formations. If an offense puts 3 or 4 WRs on the field, you need at least 3 DBs which requires the removal of either a lineman or LB ... almost always it's the NT. Casey Hampton was removed on 3rd downs and in obvious passing situations in order to get the extra DB on the field. That's for the nickel defense. In the dime, the Steelers remove the NT and one of the ILBs (last year they usually pulled Timmons) in order to get the 4th CB or a 3rd Safety. There's no way the Steelers will go back to the base 3-4 in a majority of the downs just because they have a good NT. Brady will kill them with quick slants to the uncovered WR long before the NT got into the backfield. It's a matter of providing coverage on their WRs and rushing with what's left (linemen and linebackers).

Now, you're correct that a player like Billings, whom I like as a strong inside guy, could potentially be used in passing situations to spell Heyward or Tuitt. But now you're using a 1st rounder for largely backup work, which is why I think they won't do that. This draft is loaded with d-lineman quality and depth and they can select a backup to the DEs in later rounds. However, you may be correct that the Steelers grade a Billings type player much higher than the other d-lineman and end up using him like Kansas City uses Poe, who's a NT that moves out to DE in subpackage ... but that player would be pushing Heyward and Tuitt off the field at that point.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback   Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 05, 2016 1:08 am

Steelers-by-position: CBs

Bob Labriola
Steelers.com

Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 Blake_82615_Article_1

Another in a position-by-position series in advance of the start of free agency on March 9:

CORNERBACKS – (8)

(Free Agent Scorecard: 3 unrestricted – Antwon Blake, Brandon Boykin, Will Gay)

CORTEZ ALLEN
Once upon a time, Allen was seen as a big part of the team’s future in the defensive backfield, but as of today that time seems to have passed. Confidence and a short memory are said to be two qualifications found in every quality starting NFL cornerback, and somewhere along the line Allen appears to have lost those. Allen does possess a lot of the must-have physical requirements, but the $5.75 million salary cap hit in 2016 shines a stark light on his lack of production. Today, it looks like an unrealistic leap of faith to expect/hope Allen will turn it around and become the player the Steelers hoped when signing him to his contract extension in 2014.

BRANDON BOYKIN
As irrational as Steelers fans can be about disliking a particular player – since this is about cornerbacks, Will Gay immediately comes to mind – they showed an irrational love for Boykin, acquired in an Aug. 1 trade with the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for a fifth-round draft pick. There was nothing ever about Boykin that made him a bad teammate, but he just never impressed the coaching staff that he was better than the role he ended up filling. The Steelers didn’t believe he could be an outside cornerback in their defense, and he wasn’t as good as Will Gay in the slot when it came to the combination of coverage/tackling skills they were looking for in the middle of the field. And exacerbating the issue is that Senquez Golson – the player the Steelers had tabbed for the role of slot cornerback – will be back for 2016, and Boykin can become an unrestricted free agent on March 9.

ANTWON BLAKE
This is a situation where a player just isn’t capable of being what the team has assigned him to be. Blake is a tough player, a guy who can line up at cornerback and also is a core special teams player. But he isn’t a starting cornerback for a team looking to contend for a championship. It’s not Blake’s fault that the Steelers had no real better options last season, and it isn’t fair for him to bear all of the criticism for the way things turned out. Regardless of the venom directed at him by a segment of the fan base, Blake is a guy the Steelers should be interested in bringing back. But that interest should be commensurate with the role he’s capable of filling. If fans thought of Blake as a modern-day version of Chidi Iwuoma, their perspective of him would be closer to the reality. For the Steelers, though, they have to understand they have to do better in 2016 than having Blake start at cornerback.

ROSS COCKRELL
If the trade for Boykin is destined to go down as a failure, the pickup of Cockrell was a success. Waived by the Buffalo Bills, Cockrell was signed by the Steelers on Sept. 5 partly because the team had an interest in him when he was entering the draft following his college career at Duke. At 6-feet, 191 pounds, Cockrell has nice size, and in 15 regular season games he finished with two interceptions, 11 passes defensed, one forced fumble, and one fumble recovery. Ending the season as a potential exclusive rights free agent, Cockrell already has signed for 2016. A good addition, and a player who will only be 25 in August.

ISAIAH FREY
A sixth-round pick of the Bears in 2012 from Nevada, Frey, 6-0, 190, has played in 16 NFL games over three seasons with Chicago and Tampa Bay. Signed to the Steelers’ practice squad on Oct. 27 in the wake of Cortez Allen being placed on injured reserve, Frey is in the mix.

WILLIAM GAY
This is one of those situations where the sides are better off staying together, and both sides have first-hand knowledge of that. He celebrated his 31st birthday on New Year’s Day, and because Gay already has completed 10 NFL seasons he is coming up on the twilight of his NFL career. His 2015 season ended with two interceptions, one of which came in a December game in Cincinnati that turned into an NFL record fifth straight pick-six. Following the 2011 season, Gay left the Steelers as an unrestricted free agent to sign with Arizona, but after one year in the desert he was back in Pittsburgh for the 2013 season. Gay certainly seems to be someone worth bringing back, because the Steelers only can expect to turn over so much of their secondary at a time, and because he remains one of the better and more versatile players at his position.

SENQUEZ GOLSON
There are high hopes for Golson within the Steelers offices, and because he was a second-round draft pick there are high expectations for him outside the walls of the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex. Golson injured his shoulder during the offseason program and opened training camp on the physically unable to perform list, but he was kept around through the initial phase of camp before he had surgery, because Coach Mike Tomlin wanted to expose him to the day-to-day process the Steelers go through in the team-building phase of the year. After going on the injured reserve list on Aug. 31, Golson was around the team throughout the 2015 season as well. Had Golson been healthy for camp, the trade for Brandon Boykin never would have been made.

DORAN GRANT
Another defensive back drafted by the Steelers last April, Grant was waived the day after the Steelers signed Cockrell, but he was signed to the practice squad two days after that. There has been talk all the way back to the time he was drafted that Grant’s best NFL position possibly could be safety, but that should be allowed to develop over the offseason as the Steelers navigate free agency and the draft. Wherever he lines up, though, Grant will be expected to be a contributor in 2016, his second NFL season.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-by-position-CBs/220351b5-5c6c-48df-9e29-4f3181796b1e
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback   Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 06, 2016 9:18 pm

Mel Kiper Jr.'s Top 10 cornerbacks and who might be a good fit for the Steelers

By Jeff.Hartman on Mar 6, 2016

Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 Usa-today-9028467.0

The Pittsburgh Steelers are looking for secondary help in the 2016 NFL Draft. ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. released his latest positional rankings, and we take a look at the cornerbacks.

It is almost a certainty the Pittsburgh Steelers will be looking to target a cornerback in the upcoming 2016 NFL Draft, but which player will be available, and a good fit for the black and gold? ESPN's Draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. released his latest positional rankings, and today we will focus on his Top 10 cornerbacks entering the draft.

Mel Kiper Jr.'s Top 10 Cornerbacks:

1. *Jalen Ramsey, Florida St.
2. *Vernon Hargreaves, Florida
3. **Eli Apple, Ohio St.
4. William Jackson III, Houston
5. **Kendall Fuller, Virginia Tech
6. **Mackensie Alexander, Clemson
7. *Artie Burns, Miami (Fla.)
8. KeiVarae Russell, Notre Dame
9. *Zack Sanchez, Oklahoma
10. Eric Murray, Minnesota

The debate will rage regarding whether Ramsey will end up at safety, but while he'll have growing pains at cornerback, he's such a gifted athlete and competitor that I have no worries that he'll be a great player in time. Hargreaves is going to be viewed as the likeliest bet to be a solid rookie. Top riser: easily Jackson.

Looking at the list, there aren't many surprises in the Top 2. Ramsey and Hargreaves have long been considered the cream of the crop in this upcoming group of defensive backs. However, although Kiper points out William Jackson III rising the most in his rankings, it shouldn't be overlooked he has Eli Apple as the third best cornerback prospect.

Apple is considered to be brimming with potential, but his lack of experience has had him being a potential first, or second, round pick when the draft rolls around. Apple certainly helped his case at the NFL Scouting Combine with some tremendous work in the drills he participated in.

It also should be noted where he has Kendall Fuller ranked -- behind Jackson III. This could be largely due to his knee injury which sidelined him for nearly the entire 2015 season, but also with Jackson lighting up the Scouting Combine just last week. With Pro Days still ahead, it seems the trio of Apple, Jackson III and Fuller will be jockeying for position behind Ramsey and Hargreaves.

For fans of the Pittsburgh Steelers, don't be shocked if none of the names on Kiper's Top 5 are selections for the black and gold. The Steelers rarely draft a cornerback in the first round, and with other pressing needs on the defensive side of the ball, there is a chance the team will look at cornerback in the second round, like they did in 2015 drafting Senquez Golson.

If that were the case, which of the bottom 5 prospects would best fit the Steelers and their scheme heading into 2016? Mackensie Alexander has exceptional footwork and athleticism, but lacks some of the size NFL teams are looking for in an outside cornerback. Similar deficiencies could be said for the other prospects at the bottom of Kiper's list, but all could be considered players who the Steelers could target in the early rounds of the draft.

Will the Steelers be able to draft a cornerback who is ready to start immediately if they wait until Day 2 to do so? Probably not, but that doesn't mean the team won't be able to find a player who can contribute in some way, shape or form as a rookie in 2016 to help the Steelers porous 30th ranked pass defense.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2016-nfl-mock-drafts-profiles-video-clips-highlights-steelers-analysis-breakdowns-news/2016/3/6/11160450/mel-kiper-jr-s-top-10-cornerbacks-and-who-might-be-a-good-fit-for-the
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback   Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 20, 2016 9:49 pm

Steelers “tracking” cornerbacks heading into the draft

Posted by Josh Alper on March 20, 2016

The Steelers came into the offseason with three free agent cornerbacks and they’ve re-signed William Gay while Antwon Blake departed for the Titans.

Brandon Boykin remains unsigned, but it sounds like the Steelers are looking at the draft as a place to round out their cornerback ranks. General Manager Kevin Colbert said Sunday that the team has “been tracking” cornerback prospects as they attend pro days around the country ahead of the draft.

“We can’t say we’ll take a cornerback first, second or third,” Colbert said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “But there are enough that we should be able to get one.”

The Steelers also have veteran Cortez Allen under contract at $4.4 million with a $5.25 million cap hit after a year that saw him play one game because of a knee injury. Allen was healthier in 2015, although he didn’t play very well and that added reason to think he might be a cap casualty. Colbert said Sunday that Allen is “still part of the plan” as the team sets up their secondary for 2016.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/20/steelers-tracking-cornerbacks-heading-into-the-draft/
Back to top Go down
PhantomJB93

PhantomJB93

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback   Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 21, 2016 12:25 am

Yeah.  I think it's incredibly, unbelievably, astronomically stupid and idiotic the way we go out of our way to de-value the CB position, but it is becoming increasingly evident that they are once again going to completely ignore it early on.

It's like they see everyone call out their biggest and most obvious weakness and need, and go out of their way to not address it in any significant way out of spite just to prove that they're smarter than the masses.

I'm not saying that they need to go out of their way and reach for CB's every year early on, but it's very telling that it's been the only consistent need for nearly a decade and we've seen exactly zero first rounders and only 2 picks before Day 3 of the draft invested in the position since 2009.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback   Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2016 12:12 am

Gerry Dulac ‏@gerrydulac Mar 20

Colbert: "Can’t say we’ll take a cornerback first, second or third. But there are enough that we should be able to get one.”

Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin "been tracking" top CBs in draft and attending their pro days. Visit Houston's William Jackson III this week

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback   Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2016 10:48 am

Question: why does everyone want a corner when safety is a much more glaring need? TEs ate up our secondary, and the middle of the field, especially the back of the endzone, was left open far too many times by Will Allen (and even Troy was getting burned a year earlier.)

I think a combo of Gay, Golson and Cockrell will be fine to weather the storm. I don't think a first round corner is going to have as much of an impact as a safety would, and considering the level of talent we have, a rookie at safety can't be much of a downgrade, just as much as the 3 corners I already mentioned are a HUGE upgrade over Antwon Blake and his giving up 1/4 of our passing yards last season.

http://steelcityunderground.com
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback   Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2016 11:28 am

SteelCityUnderground wrote:
Question: why does everyone want a corner when safety is a much more glaring need? TEs ate up our secondary, and the middle of the field, especially the back of the endzone, was left open far too many times by Will Allen (and even Troy was getting burned a year earlier.)

I think a combo of Gay, Golson and Cockrell will be fine to weather the storm. I don't think a first round corner is going to have as much of an impact as a safety would, and considering the level of talent we have, a rookie at safety can't be much of a downgrade, just as much as the 3 corners I already mentioned are a HUGE upgrade over Antwon Blake and his giving up 1/4 of our passing yards last season.

Did you see the Secondary ranking last season? you need a cover cb in todays nfl...Gay and Cockrell are not the future
Back to top Go down
BKAnthem

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback   Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2016 11:31 am

PhantomJB93 wrote:
Yeah.  I think it's incredibly, unbelievably, astronomically stupid and idiotic the way we go out of our way to de-value the CB position, but it is becoming increasingly evident that they are once again going to completely ignore it early on.

It's like they see everyone call out their biggest and most obvious weakness and need, and go out of their way to not address it in any significant way out of spite just to prove that they're smarter than the masses.

I'm not saying that they need to go out of their way and reach for CB's every year early on, but it's very telling that it's been the only consistent need for nearly a decade and we've seen exactly zero first rounders and only 2 picks before Day 3 of the draft invested in the position since 2009.

OMG i couldn't have put this any better
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback   Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2016 12:02 pm

BKAnthem wrote:
SteelCityUnderground wrote:

Did you see the Secondary ranking last season? you need a cover cb in todays nfl
You had me right here. I really think half the issue we've seen with the safeties is that they were caught trying to cover for poor CB play, which is part of their job. Watching replays of TEs or receivers catching passes in the middle of the field sometimes gives you the idea the safety failed. But a closer look will show that the safety often times is picking his poison: cover the WR who just torched the CB, or cover the TE who just ran a good seam route on a LB. Getting better CBs will help the safeties focus on their responsibilities in the middle of the field (for reference, watch Denver's AFC Championship game and Super Bowl).

BKAnthem wrote:
Gay and Cockrell are not the future
Now you lost me. Gay is a known quantity who will begin to decline in a few years, but at least you know what he is now. Cockrell looks like a guy who can grow to be a really solid corner for the Steelers. IMO he is a future CB for this team. That's the good news. Now they need to find two more: Slot (nickel) and the 4th CB (dime). Maybe Golson is one of those, so hopefully you're only looking for one more. Then, as our friend Fire Arians would say: "Super Bowl!".

Last edited by kirklandrules on Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback   Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2016 12:18 pm

BKAnthem wrote:
PhantomJB93 wrote:

I think they have tried to address CB, especially last year. But look, they didn't know that C. Allen would totally bomb on them. When they signed him a few years ago, he was supposed to be a solid corner. Looks like nagging injuries and whatever else is his problem kinda hosed them. Then Golson is injured, Allen doesn't work, again, D. Grant doesn't pan out and for some reason they aren't able to utilize Boykin. So as bad as last year felt, I can't fault the F/O for not trying.

And as bad as the CBs performed, especially Blake, the Steelers still kept teams out of the endzone more often than not. Remember, at the beginning of the season, Steelers fans and media were saying Ben would need to get at least 30 points a game in order to win. But there were plenty of times the defense allowed 18 points or less. Only once did they allow more than 30 (against the Raiders), and they were able to win that game.

This is the year I feel they have a very strong chance of drafting a DB (safety or corner). There's a ton of talent there and I think it's very possible. If they don't pull the trigger in the 1st round, there's some pretty strong talent at CB that will be there in the 2nd.
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback   Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2016 12:36 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
BKAnthem wrote:
PhantomJB93 wrote:

I think they have tried to address CB, especially last year. But look, they didn't know that C. Allen would totally bomb on them. When they signed him a few years ago, he was supposed to be a solid corner. Looks like nagging injuries and whatever else is his problem kinda hosed them. Then Golson is injured, Allen doesn't work, again, D. Grant doesn't pan out and for some reason they aren't able to utilize Boykin. So as bad as last year felt, I can't fault the F/O for not trying.

And as bad as the CBs performed, especially Blake, the Steelers still kept teams out of the endzone more often than not. Remember, at the beginning of the season, Steelers fans and media were saying Ben would need to get at least 30 points a game in order to win. But there were plenty of times the defense allowed 18 points or less. Only once did they allow more than 30 (against the Raiders), and they were able to win that game.

This is the year I feel they have a very strong chance of drafting a DB (safety or corner). There's a ton of talent there and I think it's very possible. If they don't pull the trigger in the 1st round, there's some pretty strong talent at CB that will be there in the 2nd.

See, that's where my point is. I'm not saying we don't have to address the position and I was thrilled when they did last year, with drafting Golson and Grant, plus adding Boykin... even Cockrell off waivers was a pleasant surprise.

But a lot of people think we need to sign a high priced free agent or use a high draft pick on a corner. Richard Sherman and Josh Norman were both taken in the FIFTH ROUND.

There are many first round picks that don't pan out. Remember that kid from Michigan State everyone wanted us to take, what, 15th overall when we took Jones (I think.) And he still hasn't seen the field much in Cincy, who even resigned old ass Pacman Jones for a few more years, which tells you that kid isn't ready and might not ever be ready.

Justin Gilbert has been a failure in Cleveland too, not that we would've had a shot at him, nor would we of had one at Marcus Peters, who was good, but got picked by KC ahead of our spot. (Plus there was doubt as to whether his character issues would be a problem, and if they ever are, that would be a blown pick too.)

I've been more than pleased that we used our last few first round picks on Jones (lesser extent but coming on) and Shazier and Dupree. Those guys are our future.

Also consider we had really bad luck like kirklandrules said. We signed Cortez in a panic after not being able to afford to keep Keenan Lewis. Both played earlier than expected due to injuries, so there was little to no depth there. Then Tez bombs too. Golson gets hurt. And we have no clue what's going on with Boykin, who first sat in Philly, then got splinters on the bench here and still hasn't had much interest from teams in free agency.

I think some of our waiver finds like Blake, McCain, Cockrell, etc. have been just as beneficial as drafting players too. Sometimes one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Also, the blown coverage/safety help deal is true too, and this is off the top of my head, but I do think quite a deal of that could also be attributed to Atwon Blake being a liability. No one's perfect, but I tend to remember more of those plays coming off his side of the field where Will Allen was the help. I can think of a few times where Allen missed someone running right an in route right behind him in the endzone, then looking lost as to who was supposed to cover him. (Again, some of that can also be attributed to the 2nd level of coverage too, where he has a receiver in front to keep an eye on too, so it's a combination of a few things.)

http://steelcityunderground.com
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback   Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 22, 2016 12:38 pm

They drafted two CB's last year. They've addressed the position. Everyone needs to be patient, and let those players develop.

Until Cortez Allen hurt his knee(which seems chronic) he was looking like he was going to be a very good player. Not sure if anyone remembers but, He shut down Rob Gronkowski his rookie season and gave AJ Green a lot of problems.

Cockrell, Golson, Grant should all improve next season. No rookie is going to play over those guys unless he's the next Revis.

Last edited by BlackAndGold on Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback   Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft –  Cornerback - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Analyzing the Steelers Wants and Needs For the 2016 NFL Draft – Cornerback
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next