Steelers Xtreme Forum

Home2016 so far Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

2016 so far

Go down 
+14
SteelerSpartan
DesertSteel
BlackAndGold
Atlanta Dan
SoCalFan
LambertWardSteel
kirklandrules
jak341
SteelerFreak58
SteelersNorth
El-Gonzo Jackson
kan_t
IowaSteeler927
Stella Nation
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

2016 so far Empty
PostSubject: 2016 so far   2016 so far EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 6:40 am

Players we have lost: Heath, Martavis Bryant, Kelvin Beachum, Steve McLendon
New: Ladarius Green, Ryan Harris

We're probably gonna lose some more players like Sean Spence or Brandon Boykin. It's clear that we are weakened on both sides on the field. Seeing Heath retire was a shock and losing Martavis for a year a big blow.
But all in all I think that the FO has done a good job so far. We were very close to our cap space and needed to make some room for the contract extensions of Bell and Brown before their contracts expire. Especially Brown is (with the suspension of Bryant) in a strong position if he desides to sit out. Better to prevent than to heal ;-)

With the upcoming draft we certainly need to address our secondary with a safety and a CB. We must also draft a DT and probably an OT, unless we would do something yet in free agency, but I don't expect that.

What are your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

2016 so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 so far   2016 so far EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 7:45 am

I think this draft is extremely vital to this teams success in 2016. We need to nail this draft, and bring in young guys that can contribute early. Tough thing to do, but it's going to have to happen. We need to shore up our defensive secondary, I think getting Golson back is going to be a huge help but a young guy to develop wouldn't be a bad thing. We also need to go after a DT/NT since McClendon went to the Jets, and Safety is still a huge need going into this draft.

I also wouldn't mind if they found someone with some pass rushing skills in the mid to later rounds. A DE/OLB like Yannick Ngakoue that's a little bit raw, but has some skills would be nice to help bolster our pass rush.

Last edited by IowaSteeler927 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
kan_t

2016 so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 so far   2016 so far EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 7:53 am

Bryant was suspended 4 games and Beachum missed 10 games last season. When you also consider Pouncey missing full season, Ben missing 4 games and Bell missing 10 games, I could argue that the team actually is still better than last season even before the draft (assume that all of them stay relatively healthy).
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

2016 so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 so far   2016 so far EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 10:47 am

kan_t wrote:
Bryant was suspended 4 games and Beachum missed 10 games last season. When you also consider Pouncey missing full season, Ben missing 4 games and Bell missing 10 games, I could argue that the team actually is still better than last season even before the draft (assume that all of them stay relatively healthy).

So you are saying that getting back Bell, Pouncey, Golson from injury, adding a young TE and a veteran OT is a good thing? Doesn't quite fit with the "sky is falling" motif of this board. Now don't get ahead of yourself and suggest that 2nd year players like Dupree, Golson, LT Walton, Coates, James, Grant and Chickillo might improve and contribute more than last year....that is just insane. 2016 so far 1072540953

Somebody promise me that we will put somebody at CB who is better than Blake this season and improve the Safety position and I'm all good. I might even shut up about Jarvis Jones (because I think its time).
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

2016 so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 so far   2016 so far EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 11:14 am

Personally I think they should go DB/CB in rd 1 S in Rd 2 and fill in the rest.
I do like the style they have and pick the best player available on their board regardless of need.

Also incase some of you missed it read #4

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000644824/article/nfl-power-rankings-free-agency-takes-toll-on-denver-broncos

Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

2016 so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 so far   2016 so far EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 11:28 am

SteelersNorth wrote:
I do like the style they have and pick the best player available on their board regardless of need.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000644824/article/nfl-power-rankings-free-agency-takes-toll-on-denver-broncos

I agree with you and am fine if they address Safety and CB in the first 2 of 3 rounds. #4 of that article is outrageous....don't they know we lost Bryant, Miller, Beachum, McLendon and likely Boykin (insert sarcasm here).
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

2016 so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 so far   2016 so far EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 11:32 am

Sky falling much?
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

2016 so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 so far   2016 so far EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 12:53 pm

I'm a little pessimistic about what happened here in the past few days. Let me break down my thoughts piece by piece and see where we are better or worse.

Stats were provided by ESPN's site.

TE:
Miller for Green - slightly better. Heath had his second lowest production season with us last year I am optimistic Green may serve as a true receiving TE threat for us. The thing we are missing is the Ben / Heath mental connection, which only time together can build.

OL:
Harris for Beachum - equal. From the Bronco's boards, Harris is not a pro bowl player, nor is he a marginal player. He is a solid, all around player that does his job. I think he is just as equal to Beachum, but will be slightly better than AV.

WR:
Coates / Wheaton for Bryant - worse off. No question. Bryant had those moments where he looks absolutely fantastic and dominant. However, there were those times he disappeared as well (to be fair, so did the rest of the WR core when Ben was out). Coates season stat line was 1/2 for 11 yards. Postseason, he was 2/3 for 66 yards (with one of those being a 37 yard reception). Bryant was 50/92 with 765 in 11 games. If Bryant had played all 16, he would have been a 1,000 yard receiver. Perhaps Coates / Wheaton steps up and fills in, but that is yet to be seen.

DT:
McCullers for McLendon - worse off. McCullers didn't see the field much. And when he did, it was very little impact. Today, we are worse off.

CB:
??? for Blake - complete and total unknown. Assuming everyone keeps their positions, who is filling in for Blake? If we slot Cockrell at the 2nd spot, and Gay in the slot, this leaves Golson. Golson is a total unknown at this point. I wouldn't expect Golson to come in and get the #1CB spot. I'm not expecting Grant to be a factor either. Could a rookie CB come in and get the #1CB spot? I'm not holding much faith there either.

As for Boykin, he is still a FA. Haven't see much of anything regarding visits, etc. The Falcons were rumored to be interested, but I haven't see anything more than a rumor. If there aren't teams even discussing visits, there is some fatal flaw with him that we the fans just aren't seeing.

S:
Allen for Golden - slightly worse. I was surprised when I read that Golden was close to becoming the starter. Alternatives are Thomas or a rookie S. Again, Thomas hasn't shown he can play in the NFL, and hoping a rookie takes that starting position is unlikely. Missing Weddle really hurt us here.

So, to summarize. Our weakest link in 2015 was the secondary. We haven't improved at all in that area. We are hoping that Golson and others take a step forward and we draft impactful rookies. As someone somewhere said, if you are relying on rookies to start lead you to the Super Bowl, you need to adjust your expectations.
Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

2016 so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 so far   2016 so far EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 1:35 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
SteelersNorth wrote:

I agree with you and am fine if they address Safety and CB in the first 2 of 3 rounds.  #4 of that article is outrageous....don't they know we lost Bryant, Miller, Beachum, McLendon and likely Boykin (insert sarcasm here).

No need to worry about those losses because:
in the 2009/10 off season we traded Holmes for some practice footballs we ended up going to the super bowl.
Mike Wallace thought he was better than what he really was, albeit we had a couple of down seasons after he left but we kept the 'better' player in AB

We still have Wheaton, Coates, DHB all those guys who can if the want it grab the #2 and 3 and 4 spots then add in Bell as the 5th or Green and I think this team will still be fine because of the main man under centre.

Of course like last year should he miss any games we're F'd but I think last year was a fluke.

No need to panic people 2016 so far 184121345
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

2016 so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 so far   2016 so far EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 1:56 pm

jak341 wrote:
I'm a little pessimistic about what happened here in the past few days. Let me break down my thoughts piece by piece and see where we are better or worse.

Stats were provided by ESPN's site.

TE:
Miller for Green - slightly better. Heath had his second lowest production season with us last year I am optimistic Green may serve as a true receiving TE threat for us. The thing we are missing is the Ben / Heath mental connection, which only time together can build.

The good thing here is that Green isn't a rookie and should know how to run his routes. That's Ben's biggest thing ... can he count on his receiver to be in the right place at the right time. No, he's not Heath, but from a YAC standpoint, I think this has the potential to be a significant upgrade. And I think people are over discounting his blocking abilities. We'll see how he blocks when the pads come on.

jak341 wrote:
OL:
Harris for Beachum - equal. From the Bronco's boards, Harris is not a pro bowl player, nor is he a marginal player. He is a solid, all around player that does his job. I think he is just as equal to Beachum, but will be slightly better than AV.

I think you'll find that AV is the starter next season. I wouldn't rank Harris better than Beachum. Harris is an experienced backup and was paid like a medium quality backup.

jak341 wrote:
WR:
Coates / Wheaton for Bryant - worse off. No question. Bryant had those moments where he looks absolutely fantastic and dominant. However, there were those times he disappeared as well (to be fair, so did the rest of the WR core when Ben was out). Coates season stat line was 1/2 for 11 yards. Postseason, he was 2/3 for 66 yards (with one of those being a 37 yard reception). Bryant was 50/92 with 765 in 11 games. If Bryant had played all 16, he would have been a 1,000 yard receiver. Perhaps Coates / Wheaton steps up and fills in, but that is yet to be seen.

Look at this from a slight different angle. When Bryant played, he was very good. However, he had issues being on the field for various reasons, mostly including his inability to stay away from items on the banned substance list. Coats/nothing - Steelers are better off with Coats and were smart enough last year to pick this guy up ... otherwise they would have nothing (or DHB).

jak341 wrote:
DT:
McCullers for McLendon - worse off. McCullers didn't see the field much. And when he did, it was very little impact. Today, we are worse off.

Right now I would agree as IMO McLendon was largely undervalued by the fans here. But, sometimes a guy just has to be in the right place at the right time to get his chance. Let's see if McCullers makes his mark this year.

jak341 wrote:
CB:
??? for Blake - complete and total unknown. Assuming everyone keeps their positions, who is filling in for Blake? If we slot Cockrell at the 2nd spot, and Gay in the slot, this leaves Golson. Golson is a total unknown at this point. I wouldn't expect Golson to come in and get the #1CB spot. I'm not expecting Grant to be a factor either. Could a rookie CB come in and get the #1CB spot? I'm not holding much faith there either.

Nothing/Blake. I'd take nothing  Twisted Evil  In the end, it comes down to Golson being better than Blake. Hell, at this point, I'd bet a Benjamin that Golson will do better than Blake did last year.

jak341 wrote:
As for Boykin, he is still a FA. Haven't see much of anything regarding visits, etc. The Falcons were rumored to be interested, but I haven't see anything more than a rumor. If there aren't teams even discussing visits, there is some fatal flaw with him that we the fans just aren't seeing.

Agreed, his situation just didn't make sense to me. Then again, in the playoff game against Denver, he got caught with his head turned trying to communicate with the Safety and gave up one of the bigger passing plays on the critical drive.

jak341 wrote:
S:
Allen for Golden - slightly worse. I was surprised when I read that Golden was close to becoming the starter. Alternatives are Thomas or a rookie S. Again, Thomas hasn't shown he can play in the NFL, and hoping a rookie takes that starting position is unlikely. Missing Weddle really hurt us here.

I'm not yet throwing Thomas out. He made some boneheaded plays on special teams and the coaches indicated he didn't quite know enough to be a starter last season. Not saying I would hold my breath, but maybe year 4 he figures it out. Meh, I should just let it go, but the guy has a ton of athletic talent and is pretty tough.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

2016 so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 so far   2016 so far EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 2:17 pm

Kirklandrules....throw Thomas out. They have been trying to hand the safety spot to him for 2 seasons now and he has done nothing. They think so much of his progress that they signed Golden and were apparently trying to get Weddle.

Thomas has the athletic talent of a worldbeater, the mental ability of an eggbeater.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

2016 so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 so far   2016 so far EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 2:48 pm

I love the potential of the Green signing but I'd really hoped they'd get a secondary player out of free agency to go along with Gay and Mitchell. They could have plugged in Golson/draft pick(s) for the other spot to make a much better secondary. I was originally high on Weddle but I didn't realize he was going to be almost 32 to start 2016. Troy Polamalu was starting to decline by then, and Weddle is not Troy, so maybe a good non move like not signing Walalce a few years ago.

Bryant loss hurts for sure. That being said Green could explode in this offense. Opposing D's will have to cover Bell, AB, Green, and should make the WR playing where Bryant would have been much better like Wheaton in the Seattle game last year. I liked what I saw of Coates in the playoff game and last summer...maybe he is the next in a long line of Steeler WR stars.

Not sure on the Harris signing. Probably still would rather have seen Beachum or Okung.

I've been following the Steelers since 1978, I haven't missed a game since then. A lot of times the moves they make seem questionable, but in the end we are better off. Quickly coming to mind is the Santonio trade a few years ago and it proved all the better in the end. The Steelers have been the most consistently winning franchise since the 70's, more SBs than anyone, so in the end I trust they know what they're doing.

kirklandrules

2016 so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 so far   2016 so far EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 3:47 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Kirklandrules....throw Thomas out.  They have been trying to hand the safety spot to him for 2 seasons now and he has done nothing.  They think so much of his progress that they signed Golden and were apparently trying to get Weddle.

Yeah, I know. I really liked him at SU and thought it was just a matter of time that he would be the starter in Black and Yellow.  2016 so far 2164293255

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Thomas has the athletic talent of a worldbeater, the mental ability of an eggbeater.  
2016 so far 3562723908
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

2016 so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 so far   2016 so far EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 4:48 pm

Let Shamarko redeem himself!
Back to top Go down
SoCalFan

SoCalFan

2016 so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 so far   2016 so far EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 8:24 pm

I am pretty disappointed so far. The Green signing has been the sole highlight for me! I was really hoping to make DRASTIC moves in our secondary! I mean come on, there are Eskimos in Eastern Siberia that know about our terrible secondary, how could they not address this? O.k. there is the draft, you really think we will find a rare gem out of the draft that can make a huge impact NOW, that is what this team needs is NOW to get to the SB! That being said, our core group of guys is still solid and I really think our offense will be just fine without THC-Bryant.

Funny thing is the moves the rat's made, seems just to spite us! I sure hope it backfires on them...

2016 so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 so far   2016 so far EmptyFri Mar 18, 2016 9:23 am

Ed B. of the P-G thinks the offseason has pretty much been a mess

Offseason Not Kind to Steelers

Let’s put aside how the Steelers rate in free agency 10 days into it and instead see how the offseason has gone for them.

It has not gone very well. A question: Do you think the Steelers are a better team right now than they were last season?

First, Heath Miller retired...

To go with that, they lost their second-leading pass-catcher in Martavis Bryant...

They lost starting nose tackle Steve McLendon in free agency and while he never quite got his due in Pittsburgh, he was a valuable member of that defense. He not only leaves a hole at nose tackle, he was versatile enough to be a backup defensive end, something they really do not have at the moment....

The loss of tackle Kelvin Beachum was somewhat negated by the signing of tackle Ryan Harris. But a healthy Beachum is better than Harris, although no one knew for sure when Beachum would have been healthy enough to play. Doctors also believe it takes at least one full year before a player truly overcomes an ACL tear and Beachum’s surgery came in November. Call that a wash.

They did re-sign guard Ramon Foster as well....

Nevertheless, that defense that played better than its resume last season got worse over the past month, especially with the loss of McLendon. They added no one from outside and also lost Blake.

The offense lost Miller and Beachum and gained Green and Harris to replace them. But it also lost Martavis Bryant and they now are counting on the re-signed Darrius Heyward-Bey and second-year man Sammie Coates to pick up the slack.

The dust has not cleared yet. They still have nearly six months before the regular season kicks off. But are they a better team today than they were a month ago?

No, and their defense has gotten worse.

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2016/03/18/Offseason-Not-Kind-to-Steelers

Link to full article

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2016/03/18/Offseason-Not-Kind-to-Steelers
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

2016 so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 so far   2016 so far EmptyFri Mar 18, 2016 9:56 am

Poor old Ed Bouchette. He doesn't get that in order to get better, you have to let some go. This Heath Miller wasn't the Heath of 2008, so youth is an upgrade. Beachum, don't know his recovery and they cant pay everybody on the O line big money. Bryant they knew last year was a problem and that is why they drafted Coates.

Ed doesn't mention that Pouncey and Bell will be back. I guess he is channeling his Ron Cook negativity for this article.

As for the Defense, Blake, Allen, McLendon and probably Boykin are gone. That makes room for better players, like Golson, to come in and fill their voids. Just like a relationship that isn't working, you have to dump the girl before you find a new one.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Dan

2016 so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 so far   2016 so far EmptyFri Mar 18, 2016 10:10 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Poor old Ed Bouchette.  He doesn't get that in order to get better, you have to let some go.  This Heath Miller wasn't the Heath of 2008, so youth is an upgrade.  Beachum, don't know his recovery and they cant pay everybody on the O line big money.  Bryant they knew last year was a problem and that is why they drafted Coates.

Ed doesn't mention that Pouncey and Bell will be back.  I guess he is channeling his Ron Cook negativity for this article.

As for the Defense, Blake, Allen, McLendon and probably Boykin are gone.  That makes room for better players, like Golson, to come in and fill their voids.  Just like a relationship that isn't working, you have to dump the girl before you find a new one.

Agreed on Heath and Beachum - Heath was done at the price of his 2016 contract and once Foster returned there was no money for Beachum

But I agree with Bouchette on the loss of Bryant (foreseeable but still significant) and McClendon - the Steelers could not be expected to stop Bryant's self-destructive behavior and were not going to pay McClendon what the Jets did, but both the WR and DL positions are weakened

The contract that appears to be impacting spending this offseason is Timmons - I guess he was not going to take a cut while the Steelers had no alternative if they released him and perhaps finally are getting away from kicking the can down the road on excessive contracts by serial restructuring

Back to top Go down
SteelersNorth

2016 so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 so far   2016 so far EmptyFri Mar 18, 2016 10:33 am

Atlanta Dan wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Poor old Ed Bouchette.  He doesn't get that in order to get better, you have to let some go.  This Heath Miller wasn't the Heath of 2008, so youth is an upgrade.  Beachum, don't know his recovery and they cant pay everybody on the O line big money.  Bryant they knew last year was a problem and that is why they drafted Coates.

Ed doesn't mention that Pouncey and Bell will be back.  I guess he is channeling his Ron Cook negativity for this article.

As for the Defense, Blake, Allen, McLendon and probably Boykin are gone.  That makes room for better players, like Golson, to come in and fill their voids.  Just like a relationship that isn't working, you have to dump the girl before you find a new one.

Agreed on Heath and Beachum - Heath was done at the price of his 2016 contract and once Foster returned there was no money for Beachum

But I agree with Bouchette on the loss of Bryant (foreseeable but still significant) and McClendon - the Steelers could not be expected to stop Bryant's self-destructive behavior and were not going to pay McClendon what the Jets did, but both the WR and DL positions are weakened

The contract that appears to be impacting spending this offseason is Timmons - I guess he was not going to take a cut while the Steelers had no alternative if they released him and perhaps finally are getting away from kicking the can down the road on excessive contracts by serial restructuring

Maybe I'm too optomistic but I think they'll be fine.
The biggest loss to me was Miller due to his classic TE abilities in blocking and catching the dirty balls over the middle.

Bryant hurts for the home run balls but DHB can fill that void I think; but even if they don't have that ability it just means they can chew the clock more with longer possession drives to score TDs.

Losing Blake is an upgrade.
McClendon isn't worth what the Jets paid him to play a fraction of the snaps at nose even though he was a solid player.

Now if the Steelers draft a DB/CB in Rd 1 and a S in Rd 2 or vice versa and both are starters, I think we'll be rocking it when the season starts.

Just my take.

Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

2016 so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 so far   2016 so far EmptyFri Mar 18, 2016 10:42 am

I understand the worry/frustration but, everyone just needs to trust the front office/coaching staff.

The bright sides of the losses: 1. we have solid replacements(except for McLendon) 2. the FA that were lost, will equal into comp picks for next season, in which can be traded btw.

They're a lot of young players on the team that that been developing this past season and should get a lot better. The Steelers will be fine.

El-Gonzo Jackson

2016 so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 so far   2016 so far EmptyFri Mar 18, 2016 10:50 am

Atlanta Dan wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

Yes, we can say the WR position is weakened, but honestly the WR position is the least important position on the field if you have a good QB. I'm not going to worry about a kid throwing away the golden ticket, so Coates is next man up.

McLendon would be nice to retain, but is he honestly irreplaceable in the Steelers defense? Maybe a draft pick starts. Maybe they think of McCullers and LT Walton giving them the snaps they need there?

As SteelersNorth says, losing Blake is an upgrade. I still don't think they are done upgrading the secondary.

You bring up an interesting point on Timmons. Seems like they would like to restructure his contract, but if not, then it signals this season may be his last in B&G, or they will talk with him in the offseason. I like having Vince Williams on the roster and think he is a solid ILB, now lets just hope Shazier stays healthy this season and is impactful.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

2016 so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 so far   2016 so far EmptyFri Mar 18, 2016 11:05 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:

I actually agree with what Bouchette said.

In spite of the Pouncey and Bell injuries, the O was fine. Wallace played as good as you can do in place of Pouncey. And Williams did fantastic in playing for Bell. Looking at just those two variables, we will be better. It's not going to be night and day better though. The loss of Heath is bad, but Green should perform just fine. Losing Bryant hurts this O badly. With Brown and Bryant on the field, it's a nightmare for defense coordinators. You have to double one of them. And if you double both, Heath and / or Wheaton had the big game. With DHB or Coates on the outside, I'm going to gamble on single coverage with those until either start to beat you. Make no mistake, the loss of Bryant is huge, and negates the gains made by the return of Bell and Pouncey.

We were 4th in the league in total O yards, 3rd in passing, and 16th in rushing. We will probably improve in rushing with Bell, but the passing yards will decline. How much better will we get than 4th in the league in total O. with the return of Bell and Pouncey?

As for the D, which better players are coming? There is no replacement for McLendon other than McCullers. McCullers didn't see the field last year at all. Is he really the guy? If not, we are looking at a rookie coming into camp, winning the job, and starting over the course of a season.

Same with the CB position. We lost Blake. That alone should be an upgrade. However, the person who could take his position may not be on the roster today. Golson is an unknown. To ask him to come in after a year off with injury, never playing a snap in the NFL, and covering the opponent's #1 WR is asking a lot. Who's to say Golson doesn't flame out entirely, as with any of the other CBs on the discard pile the Steelers have drafted. Personally, I think we will be scavenging the CB FA wire to find someone who can come in and push for a position.

Bouchette is correct. Today, the roster is worse. We won't know more until after the draft and camp starts. That's where you will start to see who is better, or worse, than expected.

To your analogy, yes the relationship wasn't working. However, you may end up being single for a long time before finding the next one. Or, you may go through a bunch of crazy bitches before you find the "right one".
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

2016 so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 so far   2016 so far EmptyFri Mar 18, 2016 11:15 am

Stella Nation wrote:
Players we have lost: Heath, Martavis Bryant, Kelvin Beachum, Steve McLendon
New: Ladarius Green, Ryan Harris

Heath = Great player in his prime, but now too slow. I'm excited about Green.
MB = we're stacked enough to absorb. I have high hopes for Coates too.
Beachum = carry on. The OL was good last year and will be better with Pouncey back and the addition of Harris.
McLendon = he played 1/3 of the snaps. No way we pay what the Jets did LOL.

I like that we got our 2nd round pick from last year waiting in the wings, and I think we have one or two FA signings still to come. If the draft goes well, I think I will end up giving the offseason a B+ grade.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

2016 so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 so far   2016 so far EmptyFri Mar 18, 2016 11:35 am

jak341 wrote:

To your analogy, yes the relationship wasn't working. However, you may end up being single for a long time before finding the next one. Or, you may go through a bunch of crazy bitches before you find the "right one".

Yup, but at least you dump the one you are with to go find the right woman. As for crazy bitches, you need to do some advanced scouting, interview, even some combine activities before you sign them to a deal.

I've been a Steeler fan for over 35 years and lived thru David Woodley, Kent Graham, Cliff Stoudt, etc at QB. I've watched Tim McKyer at CB, drafts of Tim Worley, Scott Shields, Troy Edwards etc. Those were times to cry that the sky is falling.

This team has all pro talent at QB, WR, RB, O line, 2 young studs at DE's, the fastest ILB in football(who needs to stay healthy) ....and the fans are worrying about the loss of Steve McLendon, the smallest LT in the NFL(coming off ACL injury) and a pothead, clinically depressed WR that missed 4 games already last season. Free agency isn't over and the draft hasn't even started.
Back to top Go down
SteelerSpartan

SteelerSpartan

2016 so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 so far   2016 so far EmptyFri Mar 18, 2016 1:15 pm

I think the loss of McClendon hurts the most.....because we have no depth on the DL.

On the offensive side losing Bryant could be almost as bad......if Leveon doesn't return to form and stay healthy for the season.

Seems like we are cursed and will never be allowed to see Bell.Ben,Brown, and Bryant terrorizing defenses again.

Sponsored content

2016 so far Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2016 so far   2016 so far Empty

Back to top Go down

2016 so far
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next