Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeArtie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’

Go down 
+16
IowaSteeler927
BlackAndGold
stlrtruck
Wallace108
BKAnthem
Master_Of_Puppets
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
effyou515
DesertSteel
Bays
Fire Arians
jak341
FrancoLambert
solardave
El-Gonzo Jackson
kirklandrules
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ Empty
PostSubject: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 2:35 pm

Adamski: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’

August 1, 2016
by Chris Adamski

Artie Burns was just a few months removed from his 21st birthday, and hadn’t even taken part of a full training-camp practice yet.

He hasn’t yet missed an assignment during an NFL game, hadn’t allowed a touchdown or even so much as a catch.

Still, he’s heard and read the whispers from the “fans” and trolls.

“‘He’s a bust,’” Burns relayed. “’He’s gonna be a bust.’

“I like to hear stuff like that. It makes me try harder.”

While it’s probably more of a sad commentary on society and on the internet/social-media age that individuals are roundly criticized for their work before they’ve even truly began their job in earnest, Burns’ path to proving his worth – through little fault of his own – could be considered tougher than most for myriad reasons:

Burns was the fifth cornerback taken after the Steelers were tied to three others taken higher than him at various points via the countless pre-draft media outlets.

Making matters more poignant for Steelers fans, a player whom many wanted the team to take was not only selected one pick prior but was taken by the division rival Bengals. (In other words, Burns will always be compared to others at his position in his draft class, particularly William Jackson III).

A crowded secondary that includes two returning starters and a new-to-the-field second-round pick at the cornerback position could potentially lead to a scenario in which Burns doesn’t play much on defense his rookie season even if he does perform well in practice and in games.

In part because he was only 20 years old on draft day and in part just by the nature of the draft, Burns’ development and his prior situations, Burns was viewed by many as perhaps needing the most seasoning of any of the potential first-round cornerbacks and was arguably the least equipped to play right away (even if his ceiling is just as high – or higher – than the others).

None of the phenomenons above are directly attributable to Burns (certainly not at this early juncture). And Burns, in time, could end up being a star-level player and/or the best at his position from the 2016 draft class. Who knows?

But if it doesn’t happen right away, in the world we live in now, some fans will casually throw out the “B” word (“bust”) — as many apparently already have, even at this absurdly and comically early stage of his career.

Burns vows he uses it as fuel.

to read rest of article:

https://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2016/08/01/adamski-artie-burns-fueled-by-avoiding-the-dreaded-label-of-bust/
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 3:21 pm

Quote :
But if it doesn’t happen right away, in the world we live in now, some fans will casually throw out the “B” word (“bust”) — as many apparently already have, even at this absurdly and comically early stage of his career.

Just to manage expectations: How many games did Rod Woodson start his rookie year?

Zero Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ 469886443
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 3:39 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
Quote :

Just to manage expectations: How many games did Rod Woodson start his rookie year?

Easy there fella. Rod Woodson held out his rookie year. Woodson could have gone to the 88 Olympics and actually ran one of the fastest 110M hurdle times of 1987 while he was holding out. He was also an all American at Purdue and started 16 games the following season, while notching 5 INT's in those seasons.

Burns shouldn't start any games this season, isn't nearly as accomplished as Woodson was and is going to take a couple seasons to learn how to play CB. True those labelling Burns a bust are very premature, I prefer to think the Steelers reached heavily for him and hope he turns out to be the long term answer at CB. But using Woodson and Burns in the same discussion is an insult to Woodson. I'm hopeful that Burns can be the next Chad Scott or Bryant McFadden.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ EmptyTue Aug 02, 2016 7:21 pm

Michael Stickings @mjwstickings

@Alex_Kozora Why wouldn't Gay move to slot, with Cockrell + Burns outside?

Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora

Davis has been good. Burns has struggled but remember, he had just 23 starts in college. Growing pains expected.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 6:07 am

kirklandrules wrote:
Quote :

So you're saying he was a bust his first year? Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ 1797695198 In his defense he did OK after that.
With the injury to Golson I'm really hoping Burns is ahead of schedule.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 8:39 am

Artie shouldn't worry.....there's a pecking order in achieving "bust" status.
He stands in line behind Jarvis Jones and Senquez Golson.

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 9:33 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:
Quote :

Easy there fella.  Rod Woodson held out his rookie year.  Woodson could have gone to the 88 Olympics and actually ran one of the fastest 110M hurdle times of 1987 while he was holding out.  He was also an all American at Purdue and started 16 games the following season, while notching 5 INT's in those seasons.

Burns shouldn't start any games this season, isn't nearly as accomplished as Woodson was and is going to take a couple seasons to learn how to play CB.  True those labelling Burns a bust are very premature, I prefer to think the Steelers reached heavily for him and hope he turns out to be the long term answer at CB.  But using Woodson and Burns in the same discussion is an insult to Woodson.  I'm hopeful that Burns can be the next Chad Scott or Bryant McFadden.

True Woodson held out his rookie year, but not the entire year. He joined the team in Nov, but didn't start till the next season. My point is that people hold the legends to a view that didn't really exist. O.k. I won't compare him to a HOF CB. How about Polamalu? How many games did Troy start his rookie season? Zero. James Harrison ... Zero. Timmons ... Zero. Ben wouldn't have started his rookie year of Maddox wasn't injured.

Totally agree that Burns shouldn't start unless there's a mad rush of injuries. But as people were calling Troy and Timmons busts because they weren't lighting it up their rookie years, they'll certainly call Burns a bust.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 9:36 am

solardave wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:
Quote :

So you're saying he was a bust his first year? Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ 1797695198 In his defense he did OK after that.

Not at all. I'm saying people were down on this guy long before his plane landed in Pittsburgh. I'm just throwing out how other stars started their careers in a Steelers uniform. People quickly forget those legends weren't awesome day 1.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 10:44 am

kirklandrules wrote:
solardave wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:
Quote :

Not at all. I'm saying people were down on this guy long before his plane landed in Pittsburgh. I'm just throwing out how other stars started their careers in a Steelers uniform. People quickly forget those legends weren't awesome day 1.

If I remember right Troy didn't start as a rookie opening game.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 10:54 am

kirklandrules wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:
Quote :

Easy there fella.  Rod Woodson held out his rookie year.  Woodson could have gone to the 88 Olympics and actually ran one of the fastest 110M hurdle times of 1987 while he was holding out.  He was also an all American at Purdue and started 16 games the following season, while notching 5 INT's in those seasons.

Burns shouldn't start any games this season, isn't nearly as accomplished as Woodson was and is going to take a couple seasons to learn how to play CB.  True those labelling Burns a bust are very premature, I prefer to think the Steelers reached heavily for him and hope he turns out to be the long term answer at CB.  But using Woodson and Burns in the same discussion is an insult to Woodson.  I'm hopeful that Burns can be the next Chad Scott or Bryant McFadden.

True Woodson held out his rookie year, but not the entire year. He joined the team in Nov, but didn't start till the next season. My point is that people hold the legends to a view that didn't really exist. O.k. I won't compare him to a HOF CB. How about Polamalu? How many games did Troy start his rookie season? Zero. James Harrison ... Zero. Timmons ... Zero. Ben wouldn't have started his rookie year of Maddox wasn't injured.

Totally agree that Burns shouldn't start unless there's a mad rush of injuries. But as people were calling Troy and Timmons busts because they weren't lighting it up their rookie years, they'll certainly call Burns a bust.

I agree. I said that fans will vilify Burns because he wont start for a while and is so raw. Look at how much grief Keenan Lewis took his first 3 seasons here. IMO, Keenan Lewis was a much better CB when drafted than Artie Burns is....and that is why he is going to be a lightning rod of controversy here for a few seasons. Strap in and get used to it.
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 11:55 am

Way too early to discuss Burns.

However, with our DB core, the cupboards are bare and what we have is average. The doorway for Burns is wide open.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 1:27 pm

solardave wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:
solardave wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:
Quote :

If I remember right Troy didn't start as a rookie opening game.

Troy didn't start any game his rookie year. He played in all 16 games, but didn't have a start until 2004.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PolaTr99.htm

I remember in 2003 there were plenty of fans saying the Steelers reached for Troy, they didn't think the Steelers should have traded up to get him, they thought he was damaged goods due to his multiple concussions, and they thought he wouldn't be good in coverage. I went to the game against Tennessee  that year and when Troy came in, I spent most of that time watching him. It was obvious he was an extremely talented guy that just needed experience and refinement. However, he was late getting to receivers in his responsibility and gave up passes ... that didn't mean he sucked, it was just the result of being a rookie.

Here's a good line regarding when to consider someone a bust (the article is about defending Dupree after 2 preseason games last year):

Anthony Defeo - BehindTheSteelCurtain.com wrote:
have a high enough football IQ to realize that you shouldn't even be touching on the subject of a rookie first round draft pick being a bust before Labor Day...of his second season. And even if I did have those thoughts, I certainly wouldn't express them in a fashion that others around me would hear them or people on the Internet would read them.

Read the rest of the article here
Back to top Go down
Fire Arians

Fire Arians

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 6:13 pm

burns already has more nfl experience than golson. 5 practices without an injury lol
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 11:38 pm

Fire Arians wrote:
burns already has more nfl experience than golson. 5 practices without an injury lol

The sad thing is that is not an exaggeration.
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 12:31 am

Fire Arians wrote:

Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ 3798349058

Damn, that actually hurts a bit.

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 12:47 pm

So far, the comparison with WJ3 is looking pretty for for Artie!
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ EmptyMon Aug 15, 2016 11:49 pm

The Pittsburgh Steelers got another piece of news on Monday, but this time, it was good news about an injury. Rookie cornerback Artie Burns returned to practice on Monday morning and appeared to be going through a pretty thorough workout.

This is great news for a secondary that needs all the healthy bodies it can muster. Fortunately for the Steelers, the types of players they have in the back do offer them some scheme flexibility. As James Wexell pointed out, Doran Grant was working with the safeties and rookie DB Sean Davis has interchanged between the two spots all camp.
A healthy Artie Burns will let the defensive coaches really tinker with their personnel groupings. Burns is a pure boundary cornerback with great size and athleticism.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2016/08/15/return-of-artie-burns-huge-boost-for-steelers-secondary/
Back to top Go down
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ EmptyTue Aug 16, 2016 10:49 am

I'm rooting hard for Artie. All our draftees seem like good guys but knowing that Artie is raising his brothers and son makes me root all the more harder for him to be the best. Plus it would be great if we developed a truly great corner. It's going to take some time with Artie I suspect but he has the desire and I think he will be a good one. It does suck that Golson just cant' stay healthy.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ EmptyTue Aug 16, 2016 11:53 am

ImmaculateGreenePolamalu wrote:
I'm rooting hard for Artie. All our draftees seem like good guys but knowing that Artie is raising his brothers and son makes me root all the more harder for him to be the best. Plus it would be great if we developed a truly great corner. It's going to take some time with Artie I suspect but he has the desire and I think he will be a good one. It does suck that Golson just cant' stay healthy.

I think we as Steelers fans are all rooting for Artie Burns.

It may take some time as he really looked like he lacked technique at Miami and his on field drills at the combine looked less than efficient. Still interested to see him in a preseason game, but honestly hoping that Gay, Cockrell and a late veteran camp casualty pickup are enough with Davis and Burns to round out the CB rotation.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ EmptyWed Aug 17, 2016 12:01 am

antonio cromartie is still up for grabs...

Quote :
Cromartie: Something is going to happen for me soon

Free agent cornerback Antonio Cromartie is certainly better than the current options utilized by some NFL teams, and yet he remains on the sideline.

Will that change any time soon?

"I think right now, everyone just wants to see the younger guys, the guys they drafted," Cromartie said Monday during an appearance on Good Morning Football. "But you also have to look at it this way -- I'm 32 years old, going into my 11th year. My 2015 campaign wasn't a great campaign and I think if you look at the first 10 games of the 2015 season it wasn't great at all for me. My last six games were more like me ... I think something is going to happen for me soon so I'm looking forward to it."

Cromartie's confidence likely means there have at least been some conversations with teams -- or perhaps he just knows how injuries can ravage a position group without notice. That could be the one thing working in Cromartie's favor.

It's been a weird offseason for the four-time Pro Bowler. Cromartie stated his intention to continue playing despite a report from NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport that a hip issue will likely force him to call it a career. There was some interest late in the winter, though free agency slipped by without much to note.

Cromartie is right -- 2015 was not his best season but it may be just good enough to earn him some face to face meetings in the coming months. Teams tend to lose games fastest at quarterback and cornerback, and Cromartie could at least provide some replacement-level assistance alongside a strong knack for returning the football.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ EmptyWed Aug 24, 2016 7:13 pm

now Artie Burns is going to miss the Saints game also, he's obviously a bust...

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/08/report-steelers-rookie-cb-artie-burns-says-hell-miss-preseason-game-saints/
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ EmptyWed Aug 24, 2016 11:07 pm

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
now Artie Burns is going to miss the Saints game also, he's obviously a bust...

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/08/report-steelers-rookie-cb-artie-burns-says-hell-miss-preseason-game-saints/

At least this way he cant disappoint on field and draw the ire of fans. Might just be a redshirt year for Burns anyways.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ EmptyThu Aug 25, 2016 12:23 am

not many first year CBs come out on fire.

I'm old school get the pass rush going first then bring in the young ball hawking DBs.
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ EmptyFri Aug 26, 2016 4:10 pm

Im getting kind of burnt out on these young players who spend most of the preseason in the tub... What gives?I'm guessing that if they had to be out there just to make the team, we'd see a lot more of them.

All these guys who've "never been injured" turn up with just enough dings to keep them on the sideline.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ EmptyFri Aug 26, 2016 11:05 pm

DesertSteel wrote:
Im getting kind of burnt out on these young players who spend most of the preseason in the tub... What gives?I'm guessing that if they had to be out there just to make the team, we'd see a lot more of them.

All these guys who've "never been injured" turn up with just enough dings to keep them on the sideline.

I'm with you on that, but I think from college to Steelers defensive training camp these guys have never been pushed as hard.

but I'm not in the know as the coaching staff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’   Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’ Empty

Back to top Go down

Artie Burns fueled by avoiding the dreaded label of ‘bust’
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next