Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeRound 2, pick 62: Steelers select JuJu Smith-Schuster - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Round 2, pick 62: Steelers select JuJu Smith-Schuster

Go down 
+11
kirklandrules
Steeler-in-west
effyou515
IowaSteeler927
El-Gonzo Jackson
Master_Of_Puppets
ImmaculateGreenePolamalu
FrancoLambert
Geordie
jak341
Wallace108
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

Round 2, pick 62: Steelers select JuJu Smith-Schuster - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Round 2, pick 62: Steelers select JuJu Smith-Schuster   Round 2, pick 62: Steelers select JuJu Smith-Schuster - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 10:15 am

I love the pick. The past two seasons have been disappointing watching the #2s either fail or underperform. Bryant with dope, Wheaton with inconsistency, Coats with injury. The Steelers seemed to have stacked the deck on this one ... it's hard to believe one of their WRs won't step into and hold onto the #2 WR position. I keep going back to that Pats* game where they only had 9 points until garbage time.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, pick 62: Steelers select JuJu Smith-Schuster   Round 2, pick 62: Steelers select JuJu Smith-Schuster - Page 2 EmptyMon May 01, 2017 8:57 am

Days later and I'm still confused by this pick. I understand the whole issue with Bryant and can he be trusted. However, there have been younger guys on the roster (Ayers, Hamilton) who have proven themselves valuable players and can sustain the position.

Certainly wasn't a need in the 2nd round. I would've rather seen them take another defensive player to help solidify that side of the ball.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Round 2, pick 62: Steelers select JuJu Smith-Schuster - Page 2 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, pick 62: Steelers select JuJu Smith-Schuster   Round 2, pick 62: Steelers select JuJu Smith-Schuster - Page 2 EmptyMon May 01, 2017 9:44 am

I like this pick. He's tough like Hines was and has great hands. Can't wait.
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, pick 62: Steelers select JuJu Smith-Schuster   Round 2, pick 62: Steelers select JuJu Smith-Schuster - Page 2 EmptyMon May 01, 2017 9:45 am

First a head scratcher for me, but upon review, I like the depth and the fact we have YET to have a number two reliably line up opposite of AB. Maybe this will be our man if the litany of other folks don't show their mustard.

So much talent, but if you can't show up on gameday for whatever reasons, it means nothing. Character, work ethic, physicality are all just as important as talent.

El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, pick 62: Steelers select JuJu Smith-Schuster   Round 2, pick 62: Steelers select JuJu Smith-Schuster - Page 2 EmptyMon May 01, 2017 9:56 am

stlrtruck wrote:
Days later and I'm still confused by this pick.  I understand the whole issue with Bryant and can he be trusted.  However, there have been younger guys on the roster (Ayers, Hamilton) who have proven themselves valuable players and can sustain the position.

Certainly wasn't a need in the 2nd round.  I would've rather seen them take another defensive player to help solidify that side of the ball.

Do you know how many receptions that Ayers and Hamilton had in the 2 playoff games vs Miami and Kansas City? Are those the guys that you think Ben Roethilisberger thinks can take pressure off AB or be a viable 2nd option when AB gets double teamed? BTW, the answer is they had a combined 5 catches in those 2 playoff games....AB had 6 by himself in KC alone.

I saw this pick happening. I said that he was one of the guys that would be a good option when they were on the clock in the 2nd round and I wasn't surprised, but rather happy they got a WR of his skill.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, pick 62: Steelers select JuJu Smith-Schuster   Round 2, pick 62: Steelers select JuJu Smith-Schuster - Page 2 EmptyTue May 02, 2017 2:07 am

JuJu is a big body that can get up and make those tough contested catches, plus he knows how to get open in the red zone, and he can run the route tree. Watching his film he looks to be much more promising than both Hamilton and Ayers. Who knows? He may turn out to be terrible, which can happen with any draft pick, but watching the tape I think he's going to be a big threat in the redzone and as a possession type of receiver. He may also get in to work on some running plays and screens due to his physicality as a blocker.

So often our offense makes it's biggest plays when Ben is extending the play. One thing I really liked that I saw from film of JuJu is that he stays active and a lot of his big plays came when he kept working to get open as his QB extended the play. Big body, that keeps working to get open, and has a nose to find open areas in the defense... Yes please.

Hamilton really isn't that good, he'll make a play here or there but truthfully the guy is a career backup at best. Ayers, the jury is still out on him, but I'm going to guess that bringing in guys like JuJu and Cameron Sutton (KR experience) doesn't really look like a vote of confidence from the coaching staff in Ayers.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, pick 62: Steelers select JuJu Smith-Schuster   Round 2, pick 62: Steelers select JuJu Smith-Schuster - Page 2 EmptyTue May 02, 2017 7:02 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
JuJu is a big body that can get up and make those tough contested catches, plus he knows how to get open in the red zone, and he can run the route tree. Watching his film he looks to be much more promising than both Hamilton and Ayers. Who knows? He may turn out to be terrible, which can happen with any draft pick, but watching the tape I think he's going to be a big threat in the redzone and as a possession type of receiver. He may also get in to work on some running plays and screens due to his physicality as a blocker.

So often our offense makes it's biggest plays when Ben is extending the play. One thing I really liked that I saw from film of JuJu is that he stays active and a lot of his big plays came when he kept working to get open as his QB extended the play. Big body, that keeps working to get open, and has a nose to find open areas in the defense... Yes please.

Hamilton really isn't that good, he'll make a play here or there but truthfully the guy is a career backup at best. Ayers, the jury is still out on him, but I'm going to guess that bringing in guys like JuJu and Cameron Sutton (KR experience) doesn't really look like a vote of confidence from the coaching staff in Ayers.

I agree that Hamilton isn't really that good. Good hands and taller than most Steelers WR's. I don't think Sutton is any indication of what they think of Ayers. Its just that Ayers is pretty much another short, quick slot WR like Eli Rodgers and not a guy that will consistently win on the outside, where JuJu can.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, pick 62: Steelers select JuJu Smith-Schuster   Round 2, pick 62: Steelers select JuJu Smith-Schuster - Page 2 EmptyTue May 02, 2017 7:37 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:

I agree that Hamilton isn't really that good.  Good hands and taller than most Steelers WR's.  I don't think Sutton is any indication of what they think of Ayers.  Its just that Ayers is pretty much another short, quick slot WR like Eli Rodgers and not a guy that will consistently win on the outside, where JuJu can.

I guess I could've worded it better but I think Ayers was also being looked at for KR duties, and that's where I was drawing the comparison between him and Sutton. I don't see them keeping Ayers anymore because he's not really better than anyone else we have on the roster playing receiver, and his value as a KR diminished when they brought on Sutton as he has KR experience. So I guess I was just saying Ayers' stock is down and doesn't have a whole lot of value at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, pick 62: Steelers select JuJu Smith-Schuster   Round 2, pick 62: Steelers select JuJu Smith-Schuster - Page 2 EmptyWed May 03, 2017 12:55 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:

I agree that Hamilton isn't really that good.  Good hands and taller than most Steelers WR's.  I don't think Sutton is any indication of what they think of Ayers.  Its just that Ayers is pretty much another short, quick slot WR like Eli Rodgers and not a guy that will consistently win on the outside, where JuJu can.

I guess I could've worded it better but I think Ayers was also being looked at for KR duties, and that's where I was drawing the comparison between him and Sutton. I don't see them keeping Ayers anymore because he's not really better than anyone else we have on the roster playing receiver, and his value as a KR diminished when they brought on Sutton as he has KR experience. So I guess I was just saying Ayers' stock is down and doesn't have a whole lot of value at the moment.

Yeah, I think the WR depth will look something like AB, Bryant, JuJu, Rodgers, Coates, Hunter, Ayers, Hamilton. the last 4 of those are up for grabs IMO. Steelers like the grind of Ayers and I look for them to keep 6 WR's, because they think Bryant is a liability and so are Coates hands. Ayers might make the 53 or can they still put him on the PS?

Ayers is quicker than fast and a hard worker. I think they still will try and keep him in the fold as insurance in case Rogers gets hurt and Bryant gets high.
Back to top Go down
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, pick 62: Steelers select JuJu Smith-Schuster   Round 2, pick 62: Steelers select JuJu Smith-Schuster - Page 2 EmptySat May 06, 2017 1:59 pm

Wish there was an all-22 view to see more.

PostSubject: Re: Round 2, pick 62: Steelers select JuJu Smith-Schuster   Round 2, pick 62: Steelers select JuJu Smith-Schuster - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Round 2, pick 62: Steelers select JuJu Smith-Schuster
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2