Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeThoughts on Rudolph Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Thoughts on Rudolph

Go down 
+2
LambertWardSteel
Wallace108
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Thoughts on Rudolph Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts on Rudolph   Thoughts on Rudolph EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 1:09 am

So what did you all think about his first preseason game?

I thought he looked good for the first outing. He didn't do anything spectacular, but he looked comfortable. He's very poised and didn't look like a rookie seeing his first NFL action. The one negative, and maybe it's just me, but it seems like he floats a lot of his passes. He doesn't seem to put a lot of zip on the ball. Other than that, I thought it was a solid first game.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Rudolph   Thoughts on Rudolph EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 5:07 am

I thought he looked good and had a decent first game as a pro.I would use the same two words to describe him: poised and comfortable. He seemed to play with confidence. He also seemed to do a good job avoiding the rush which was something they said was a weakness at the draft.

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Rudolph   Thoughts on Rudolph EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 8:44 am

Dobbs and Rudolph the future Steelers QBs?
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Rudolph   Thoughts on Rudolph EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 11:10 am

Rudolph did a good job for his first game. Like you said, poised and with a lot of confidence. He has the eye of a QB.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Rudolph   Thoughts on Rudolph EmptyFri Aug 10, 2018 9:29 pm

Rudolph looks poised for a rookie. Like what I'm seeimg and hearing of the kid. Just needs to keep his nose to the grindstone, and he might just be the heir to Ben they envisioned.

Last edited by IowaSteeler927 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Rudolph   Thoughts on Rudolph EmptySat Aug 11, 2018 1:07 am

In my ameteur opinion I believe Rudolph very well is the future. It is only the pre-season and all, but I thought all the QBs playing Thursday night looked good. I think Jones was exceptional and Dobbs would have made me happy as 3rd stringer had they not drafted Rudolph. It's early now but it's going to be interesting to see how the 2 behind Ben look. Very likely it's Jones then Rudolph. But, I wonder if there is any chance Rudolph goes to 2, Dobbs stays 3, and Jones doesn't make it.

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Rudolph   Thoughts on Rudolph EmptySat Aug 11, 2018 9:31 am

LambertWardSteel wrote:
In my ameteur opinion I believe Rudolph very well is the future. It is only the pre-season and all, but I thought all the QBs playing Thursday night looked good. I think Jones was exceptional and Dobbs would have made me happy as 3rd stringer had they not drafted Rudolph. It's early now but it's going to be interesting to see how the 2 behind Ben look. Very likely it's Jones then Rudolph. But, I wonder if there is any chance Rudolph goes to 2, Dobbs stays 3, and Jones doesn't make it.

my thinking is the Steelers might keep 4 QBs this season if all three Jones, Dobbs and Rudolph all play well through training camp and in the other preseason games. if the Steelers keep all 4 QBs Dobbs and Rudolph might be the 2 back ups the Steelers keep next season because this is Jones last year under contract. if all this plays out and Jones and Rudolph look good the next training camp and preseason games next season might be Ben's last season as a Steelers QB because father time might catch up to Ben in the next 2 years and I not sure is the Steelers want to sign Ben to another contract because that contract might be north of 30 million dollars a year, maybe Ben retires after the 2019 season.

I don't know how this plays out but I don't want the Steelers to go 25 years without a good QB.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Rudolph   Thoughts on Rudolph EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 12:46 pm

i keep reading and hearing that the steelers had a 1st round grade on rudoulf but i find it hard to believe. why ? because they didn't pick him until the 3rd round. they could have took him in the first. didn't. they could have taken him in the second. didn't. they even had an extra 3rd to package with another pick to move up to make sure they got him...didn't.

anyone else think they bull shitting on the value they had in ruddy ?
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Rudolph   Thoughts on Rudolph EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 2:41 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
i keep reading and hearing that the steelers had a 1st round grade on rudoulf but i find it hard to believe. why ? because they didn't pick him until the 3rd round. they could have took him in the first. didn't. they could have taken him in the second. didn't.  they even had an extra 3rd to package with another pick to move up to make sure they got him...didn't.

why pick him 1st rd, when he's going to be there in the 2nd rd, why pick him 2nd rd when he's going to be there in the 3rd rd? why bundle pick when he's going to be there in the 3rd rd? he wasn't going to be there when the Steelers picked in the 4th rd.

also think he's the QB Fitchner wanted to in time to learn and run his offense new Steelers offense. imo physically Rudolph does everything well but doesn't but doesn't stand out in one way or the other. imo the Steelers were looking at his mental approach to the game which imo is his strong point and above the other 1st rd QBs.

OSU offensive philosophy is one of the best in the college game and is a lot like Fitchner's offense he ran at Memphis Rudolph knew OSU's offense inside and out. imo Rudolph is a footballholic loves and knows how to watching film and is wanting to know more about the game.

would like to see the Steelers keep 4 QBs this season because Dodds not as pocket passer talented as Rudolph but has the same mental approach to the game and i think Dobbs and Rudolph would make a great future starter backup QB combo.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Rudolph   Thoughts on Rudolph EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 2:47 pm

thought on Rudolph,

he has a red nose that lights up, wasn't allowed to play in other reindeer games but pulled Santa's ass out on that snowy xmas eve. lol
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Rudolph   Thoughts on Rudolph EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 4:51 pm

effyou515 wrote:
LambertWardSteel wrote:

my thinking is the Steelers might keep 4 QBs this season if all three Jones, Dobbs and Rudolph all play well through training camp and in the other preseason games. if the Steelers keep all 4 QBs Dobbs and Rudolph might be the 2 back ups the Steelers keep next season because this is Jones last year under contract. if all this plays out and Jones and Rudolph look good the next training camp and preseason games next season might be Ben's last season as a Steelers QB because father time might catch up to Ben in the next 2 years and I not sure is the Steelers want to sign Ben to another contract because that contract might be north of 30 million dollars a year, maybe Ben retires after the 2019 season.

I don't know how this plays out but I don't want the Steelers to go 25 years without a good QB.

They kept 4 in I think 95. They had Neil O'Donnell, Mike Tomczak,Jim Miller and Kordell Stewart. Stewart ended up playing other positions but if I remember right that wasn't the case during the summer when they decided to keep 4. I think it was more a thing where O'Donnell was the starter, Tomczak was a back up with starting experience, they liked Miller's arm and didn't want to lose him, and had just picked Stewart 3rd that year.  

There's still a lot to be seen in the preseason though. Dobbs and Rudolph are the only QBs playing Thursday according to Tomlin today. Here's a Tomlin quote from a Post Gazzette article:

Mike Tomlin wrote:
Tomlin was asked if Dobbs and Rudolph are competing for the same third spot.

“It’s funny, you talk about quarterback spots open like some of them are closed,” Tomlin said. “That’s what we’re doing here. That’s the process of team development.

“We got four NFL-capable quarterbacks. Some teams keep two, some keep three, very rarely do teams keep four. Those are variables. We’ll see where the road leads. More than anything, I’m trying to create an environment where these guys have an opportunity to show what they’re capable of and get better. So far, so good. I like the approach of the group.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/08/14/steelers-qb-depth-chart-mason-rudolph-josh-dobbs/stories/201808140108

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Rudolph   Thoughts on Rudolph EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 9:47 pm

effyou515 wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
i keep reading and hearing that the steelers had a 1st round grade on rudoulf but i find it hard to believe. why ? because they didn't pick him until the 3rd round. they could have took him in the first. didn't. they could have taken him in the second. didn't.  they even had an extra 3rd to package with another pick to move up to make sure they got him...didn't.

why pick him 1st rd, when he's going to be there in the 2nd rd, why pick him 2nd rd when he's going to be there in the 3rd rd? why bundle pick when he's going to be there in the 3rd rd? he wasn't going to be there when the Steelers picked in the 4th rd.

also think he's the QB Fitchner wanted to in time to learn and run his offense new Steelers offense. imo physically Rudolph does everything well but doesn't but doesn't stand out in one way or the other. imo the Steelers were looking at his mental approach to the game which imo is his strong point and above the other 1st rd QBs.

OSU offensive philosophy is one of the best in the college game and is a lot like Fitchner's offense he ran at Memphis Rudolph knew OSU's offense inside and out. imo Rudolph is a footballholic loves and knows how to watching film and is wanting to know more about the game.

would like to see the Steelers keep 4 QBs this season because Dodds not as pocket passer talented as Rudolph but has the same mental approach to the game and i think Dobbs and Rudolph would make a great future starter backup QB combo.

you're basing your reply with the benefit of hind sight. the steelers had no idea who may or may not have been targeting rudoulf. i mean if they had a first round grade on him and given the fact there's a bunch of below average QB's in the league , what does that say about steelers scouting that they are the only team that thought rudoulf had that much value ? that's why i'm calling bull shit , because they didn't. they had just about the same grade on him as most teams did. he was a third rounder at best. so my question is why blow smoke up the fans asses by pretending they made a huge score getting 1st round talent in the 3rd ?
don't get me wrong i'm not knocking the pick. i believe at the very worst he will be better than landry.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Rudolph   Thoughts on Rudolph EmptyWed Aug 15, 2018 1:59 am

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
effyou515 wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:

you're basing your reply with the benefit of hind sight. the steelers had no idea who may or may not have been targeting rudoulf. i mean if they had a first round grade on him and given the fact there's a bunch of below average QB's in the league , what does that say about steelers scouting that they are the only team that thought rudoulf had that much value ? that's why i'm calling bull shit , because they didn't. they had just about the same grade on him as most teams did. he was a third rounder at best. so my question is why blow smoke up the fans asses by pretending they made a huge score getting 1st round talent in the 3rd ?
don't get me wrong i'm not knocking the pick. i believe at the very worst he will be better than landry.

I do believe the Steelers had a 1st Round Grade on Rudolph. I think they liked this kid because of his arm strength, accuracy, and prototypical NFL size and intangibles. I think a lot of other teams had lower grades on him because he came out of a Big 12 college offense and played against typically porous Big 12 defenses. How many times do we see these kids coming out of these high flying spread type offenses and they just can't seem to translate their talents to the NFL? Do I think Rudolph was as NFL ready as guys like Darnold, or Rosen? No. I think Rudolph needs a season or two, or three to sit back and learn. The kid definitely has the tools though. Watching him against the Eagles his footwork looked pretty sharp for a rookie who didn't play a lot under center at Oklahoma State. He also looked pretty poised for a guy playing in his first game action in the NFL.

First Round grades on one team can always be a 4th or 5th on another. How many times do we see these kids drafted in the later rounds turn out to be infinitely better than the guys that were drafted in the first round? Look at AB, he's easily the best WR in the league and yet he was a 6th Round Draft pick out of Central Michigan. I would guess that he wasn't graded higher because of the fact he played at Central Michigan.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Rudolph   Thoughts on Rudolph Empty

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Rudolph
Page 1 of 1