Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeDobbs on the trade block - Page 2 Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Dobbs on the trade block

Go down 
+6
LambertWardSteel
IowaSteeler927
Steeler-in-west
effyou515
Wallace108
Stella Nation
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Great Randino

Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dobbs on the trade block   Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 31, 2018 8:19 pm

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
Steeler-in-west wrote:
I’d still rather keep Jones. He’s the only one of these three backups that has regular season experience. If Ben is out for a game or two, which is possible, I’d be more comfortable with jones to pull out the win than Rudolph or Dobbs. These preaseon games with scrubs playing defense don’t mean that much. Dobbs or Rudolph more likely than not will look very mediocre at best (probably making crucial mistakes) going against starters,

Dobbs and Rudolph both have good long term potential, If we can’t get good trade value out of Dobbs (or even Rudolph) I wouldn’t be opposed to the Steelers somehow keeping all four QB’s (and I mean not necessarily keeping all 4 on the active list)

I think Dobbs has a better chance of winning meaningful games for the Steelers (Browns don't count) than Landry Jones does.  Plus, Jones is in the last year of his contract, meaning we're not likely to have him after this year, plus he costs more money - plus, in the very near future, Ben is going to retire.  I'd feel much more comfortable going forward with Dobbs and Rudolph, than just Rudolph, and having to go get another QB somewhere.  

First off welcome to SX!

Secondly I agree, I was iffy on Dobbs before but he's shown me enough this preseason I wouldn't mind if they kept him.

\

Thank you, much appreciated! Life-long Steeler fan here.

I'm really impressed with Joshua. Really really smart guy, and the work he's put in in the past year is easy to see by the progress he's made. I think he could really be something special. Hopefully the Steelers see it too.

Unlike some on the forums, I do not dislike Landry. I think he's a good guy, trying his best. I just think he's reached his potential - and I think from a money perspective, it doesn't make as much sense to keep him.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Dobbs on the trade block   Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 31, 2018 8:21 pm

I agree, I've criticized Jones, probably cussed him a few times (that INT he threw right to Burfict that very nearly cost us that playoff game a couple years ago...), but he's been a decent backup. I concur though, better off keeping the younger, more gifted talent.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Dobbs on the trade block   Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 31, 2018 11:30 pm

nine vegetable wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
Steeler-in-west wrote:
I’d still rather keep Jones. He’s the only one of these three backups that has regular season experience. If Ben is out for a game or two, which is possible, I’d be more comfortable with jones to pull out the win than Rudolph or Dobbs. These preaseon games with scrubs playing defense don’t mean that much. Dobbs or Rudolph more likely than not will look very mediocre at best (probably making crucial mistakes) going against starters,

Dobbs and Rudolph both have good long term potential, If we can’t get good trade value out of Dobbs (or even Rudolph) I wouldn’t be opposed to the Steelers somehow keeping all four QB’s (and I mean not necessarily keeping all 4 on the active list)

I think Dobbs has a better chance of winning meaningful games for the Steelers (Browns don't count) than Landry Jones does.  Plus, Jones is in the last year of his contract, meaning we're not likely to have him after this year, plus he costs more money - plus, in the very near future, Ben is going to retire.  I'd feel much more comfortable going forward with Dobbs and Rudolph, than just Rudolph, and having to go get another QB somewhere.  

First off welcome to SX!

Secondly I agree, I was iffy on Dobbs before but he's shown me enough this preseason I wouldn't mind if they kept him.

\

Thank you, much appreciated!  Life-long Steeler fan here.  

I'm really impressed with Joshua.   Really really smart guy, and the work he's put in in the past year is easy to see by the progress he's made.  I think he could really be something special.  Hopefully the Steelers see it too.

Unlike some on the forums, I do not dislike Landry.  I think he's a good guy, trying his best.  I just think he's reached his potential - and I think from a money perspective, it doesn't make as much sense to keep him.

couldn't agree more. jones has improved over the years, and is a viable back up for a game or two. BUT, i think he has hit his ceiling. dobbs i would say has matched jones progress in one season and hasn't reached his potential. plus dobbs offers something jones doesn't. a nice set of wheels.Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 1841364231 for a team looking for future QB , i think it would be straight up STUPID to release a guy who may turn out to be the best option to replace Ben if rudolf doesn't pan out. dobby has upside, jones....not so much.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Dobbs on the trade block   Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2018 12:18 am

nine vegetable wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
Steeler-in-west wrote:

First off welcome to SX!

\

I'm really impressed with Joshua.   Really really smart guy, and the work he's put in in the past year is easy to see by the progress he's made.  I think he could really be something special.  Hopefully the Steelers see it too.

Unlike some on the forums, I do not dislike Landry.  I think he's a good guy, trying his best.  I just think he's reached his potential - and I think from a money perspective, it doesn't make as much sense to keep him.

Solid post. Welcome to SX. Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 230572241

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Dobbs on the trade block   Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2018 2:28 pm

solardave wrote:
I think at the very least Dobbs made it look like a dumb move if they let him walk but their only real option is to trade Jones.I doubt they'll do that. I agree Stella that his ceiling is much higher than Jones. Considering his lack of playing time the jump from last year should spell it out.
He's not just smart. He has the physical attributes to back it up.

If we don't keep him I believe he'll be starting for someone sooner than later.
amen brother. if this truly was a fair competition for a roster spot between landry , dobbs, and rudolf , then no way they can cut dobbs. that 79 yard TD drive was a thing of beauty. twice he stood in the pocket knowing he was going to get hammered and delivered a perfect pass. the one to hunter on 3rd and 10 and the deep ball to bucky. he also had that bad snap he picked up and ran for 10 , which would have been a 8 yard lose for landry at best, and the TD run that no way landry pulls off.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Dobbs on the trade block   Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2018 3:44 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
solardave wrote:
I think at the very least Dobbs made it look like a dumb move if they let him walk but their only real option is to trade Jones.I doubt they'll do that. I agree Stella that his ceiling is much higher than Jones. Considering his lack of playing time the jump from last year should spell it out.

amen brother. if this truly was a fair competition for a roster spot between landry , dobbs, and rudolf , then no way they can cut dobbs. that 79 yard TD drive was a thing of beauty. twice he stood in the pocket knowing he was going to get hammered and delivered a perfect pass. the one to hunter on 3rd and 10 and the deep ball to bucky. he also had that bad snap he picked up and ran for 10 , which would have been a 8 yard lose for landry at best, and the TD run that no way landry pulls off.

I was one in the beginning that was down on Jones but he has improved a lot. Just not enough IMO to push Dobbs aside. I agree Jones has reached his peak and we/the FO doesn't even know how good Dobbs can be. I only saw highlights but he seemed like a seasoned pro out there. We know he's the smartest guy on the team and now we suspect he has the intangibles to back up Ben and win a game or two if needed. I don't envy Tomlin on this one. I never thought we'd be in this position on both sides of the ball when the season started but I am sure there are plenty of teams that wish they had our raw talent.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Dobbs on the trade block   Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2018 3:49 pm

Kevin Colbert On Landry Jones Being Backup QB: ‘Well, That’s An Option’

Under normal circumstances, teams would prefer to know who their backup quarterback is going to be already at this point in the season. For the Pittsburgh Steelers, they know that they have one option that they can depend on in Landry Jones, a quarterback who has served in that role for two and a half seasons and has done well by their evaluations. But they also have two intriguing young quarterbacks that could see the decision-making process go down to the wire.

General Manager Kevin Colbert was asked directly if the plan was to go into the season with Jones as their backup quarterback. “Well, that’s an option”, he said, but added that Mason Rudolph and Joshua Dobbs “have shown signs that maybe they can be that person, that player as well, and that’s really a good thing”.

Of the three, Jones is the only one who has played an NFL snap. Entering his sixth season, he has shown slow but steady progress over the course of his career—or at least over the past three seasons—coming off his best showing in his victory over the Cleveland Browns in the regular season finale sans Antonio Brown, Le’Veon Bell, Maurkice Pouncey, David DeCastro, and probably others I’m forgetting.

“What we have to do is try to figure out the best 53 and make those decisions based on not only abilities but availability, and who can help us beat the Cleveland Browns, and ‘can we have this player plus this player and that player’, and it’s really just a continued open discussion” that he admitted could go down to the cutdown deadline at 4PM.

Rudolph, the rookie, is obviously safe. The Steelers have to decide whether to keep one or both of Jones and Dobbs. The fan consensus has clearly been that they should move on from Jones, even releasing them if they can’t find a trade partner, but the team has not entered a season with backup quarterbacks who have never thrown an NFL pass in decades.

Still, Colbert was given the opportunity to commit to the notion of Jones being the team’s backup and declined to do so, merely saying that, basically, it was one way to go. If the team truly believed that Jones was the only quarterback on the roster who could serve as the backup, then there would be no discussion necessary about whether or not he would be the backup, let alone whether or not he would be on the roster.

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/09/kevin-colbert-on-landry-jones-being-backup-qb-well-thats-an-option/

PostSubject: Re: Dobbs on the trade block   Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Just announced: They cut Landry Jones.

Dobbs is IN.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Dobbs on the trade block   Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2018 5:17 pm

nine vegetable wrote:
Just announced:  They cut Landry Jones.

Dobbs is IN.

Wow. I really didn't expect this at the start of preseason.

PostSubject: Re: Dobbs on the trade block   Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2018 5:22 pm

LambertWardSteel wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:

Dobbs is IN.

Wow. I really didn't expect this at the start of preseason.

I think it really speaks to the amount of progress Dobbs has made in one season.
Back to top Go down
Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Dobbs on the trade block   Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2018 7:34 pm

solardave wrote:
Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
solardave wrote:

I was one in the beginning that was down on Jones but he has improved a lot. Just not enough IMO to push Dobbs aside. I agree Jones has reached his peak and we/the FO doesn't even know how good Dobbs can be. I only saw highlights but he seemed like a seasoned pro out there. We know he's the smartest guy on the team and now we suspect he has the intangibles to back up Ben and win a game or two if needed. I don't envy Tomlin on this one. I never thought we'd be in this position on both sides of the ball when the season started but I am sure there are plenty of teams that wish they had our raw talent.

this years QB competition wasn't about who should be Bens back up. it was about who has the best chance of being Bens replacement.
nothing we've seen from landry should make one believe that he makes those around him better and that he can deliver in crunch time , or win 12 or 13 regular season games a year. the choice was between experience or upside.i haven't seen anything this preseason to make me believe that jones is a superior passer to dobbs. plus factor in dobbs chance to extend plays ,and run , very well, when need be, makes him the obvious better option.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Dobbs on the trade block   Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2018 7:39 pm

Happy for Dobbs he went and earned it!

Master_Of_Puppets

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Dobbs on the trade block   Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2018 7:50 pm

i'd also like to point out what really impressed me was his poise in the pocket. there was no happy feet.  he sensed and moved away from the pressure when needed and kept his eyes down field he didn't panic and look to run like most college running qbs do.

at the begining i gave dobbs zero chance of making the team. hats off and congrats dobby.

Last edited by Master_Of_Puppets on Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Dobbs on the trade block   Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2018 7:53 pm

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
i'd also like to point out what really impressed me was his poise in the pocket. there was no happy feet.  he sensed and moved away from the pressure when needed and kept his eyes down field

Kid's growing up.

Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Dobbs on the trade block   Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2018 8:15 pm

nine vegetable wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
Steeler-in-west wrote:

First off welcome to SX!

\

Welcome! Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 230572241 Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 792589548

I think that on this forum there aren't many Landry Jones haters. I know that I'm not Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 1797695198 I think most of us thought a couple of weeks ago Landry was going to make the team as the back-up QB and that would've been fine for me, but Dobbs' solid performances in the preseason and especially the last game turned things around. I'm a bit surprised but happy that they go with Dobbs and Rudolph as their back-ups now. Only a bit of a shame that they couldn't find a trade partner. I wish nothing but the best for Landry and I hope he finds a backup QB job somewhere else. He deserves it.
Back to top Go down
Steeler-in-west

Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Dobbs on the trade block   Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2018 9:17 pm

nine vegetable wrote:

Dobbs is IN.

Guess they feel Dobbs is ready to fill in and go against starters. I pretty much expect him to fill in for a game or two (hopefully not more than that). I somehow doubt Rudolph, as a rookie,  will be Ben’s backup.

If Ben goes down for even a couple games I don’t feel confident in either of these guys. In a super bowl expection year we may have to rely on guys with no regular season game experience to lead us. But the team apparently does believe in them, so I hope they’re right.
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Dobbs on the trade block   Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2018 11:16 pm

Just want to say it's great seeing all you guys posting on here. Loving that football is back and I have more people to talk football with!  Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 3056903510  Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 792589548  Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 3056903510  Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 792589548

Steeler-in-west wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:

Dobbs is IN.

Guess they feel Dobbs is ready to fill in and go against starters. I pretty much expect him to fill in for a game or two (hopefully not more than that). I somehow doubt Rudolph, as a rookie,  will be Ben’s backup.

If Ben goes down for even a couple games I don’t feel confident in either of these guys. In a super bowl expection year we may have to rely on guys with no regular season game experience to lead us. But the team apparently does believe in them, so I hope they’re right.

Having seen how both Rudolph and Dobbs played this preseason... I have confidence in them. Dobbs more so than Rudolph just because of Dobbs having a year of experience under his belt already. I think Dobbs really showed us that he's grown up as a player, in our system, and as a QB overall. He looked very raw last season. This preseason he looked like a much more poised, and composed player. It really is a night and day difference. If Ben goes down, I'm confidence that Dobbs can play well, because A) he'll be playing behind a great offensive line, and B) he'll have Bell, Brown, Juju, and Washington at his disposal along with other weapons.

LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Dobbs on the trade block   Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 02, 2018 12:12 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Just want to say it's great seeing all you guys posting on here. Loving that football is back and I have more people to talk football with!  Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 3056903510  Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 792589548  Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 3056903510  Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 792589548

Agreed  Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 1647293567  great to be starting a new season with all of you Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 230572241

Steeler-in-west

PostSubject: Re: Dobbs on the trade block   Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 02, 2018 3:22 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:

Steeler-in-west wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:

Dobbs is IN.

Having seen how both Rudolph and Dobbs played this preseason... I have confidence in them. Dobbs more so than Rudolph just because of Dobbs having a year of experience under his belt already. I think Dobbs really showed us that he's grown up as a player, in our system, and as a QB overall. He looked very raw last season. This preseason he looked like a much more poised, and composed player. It really is a night and day difference. If Ben goes down, I'm confidence that Dobbs can play well, because A) he'll be playing behind a great offensive line, and B) he'll have Bell, Brown, Juju, and Washington at his disposal along with other weapons.

I agree about points A and B, that should help Dobbs. And I do like his scrambling - running ability. That really helps a young QB. But I'm taking his week 4 preseason performance against scrubs with a grain of salt and I just hope that if he is playing it’s against the browns or maybe the raiders and not against the stiffer competition. We're going to need every win we can get this year for home field, so if Ben is out for a game or two......I just preferred the more experienced backup QB but will trust the judgement of the FO again, seems like they did get the MB situation right.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Dobbs on the trade block   Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 02, 2018 10:35 am

Steeler-in-west wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:

Dobbs is IN.

Don't forget Ben was a rookie when he took over and we went 15-1 so don't count these inexperienced guys out. Dobbs reminds me of Dak Prescott as far as poise in the pocket and knowing when to run. Honestly if Ben gets hurt and misses time I feel more comfortable with Dobbs or Rudolph than I ever did with Jones.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Dobbs on the trade block   Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 02, 2018 1:31 pm

I really like this forum - I didn't even know it existed until recently. I'm used to seeing forums where people are attacking our players and coaches. This forum is a breath of fresh air!
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Dobbs on the trade block   Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 02, 2018 5:13 pm

nine vegetable wrote:
I really like this forum - I didn't even know it existed until recently.  I'm used to seeing forums where people are attacking our players and coaches.  This forum is a breath of fresh air!

Unfortunately in the world of professional sports that's a reality on a lot of sports forums. A lot of "fans" are very hateful and spiteful and when things don't go exactly the way they want it to go, the only way they know how to deal with it is anger/hate.

I will say this though, the group of people we have on here, while it's not as big as some of the other Steelers forums out there, it's a tight knit group, and while we don't always agree on things everyone seems to treat everyone like family. It's a great little forum, and one that I'm very proud to be a part of the Admin/Mod team. Our members are good people, some I've known for years now, and it's a great place to come talk football, and escape from the harsh realities of life at times.

We're happy to have you. If you've got any buddies in Steeler Nation be sure to tell them about us! Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 792589548

LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Dobbs on the trade block   Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 02, 2018 7:52 pm

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:
I really like this forum - I didn't even know it existed until recently.  I'm used to seeing forums where people are attacking our players and coaches.  This forum is a breath of fresh air!

Unfortunately in the world of professional sports that's a reality on a lot of sports forums. A lot of "fans" are very hateful and spiteful and when things don't go exactly the way they want it to go, the only way they know how to deal with it is anger/hate.

I will say this though, the group of people we have on here, while it's not as big as some of the other Steelers forums out there, it's a tight knit group, and while we don't always agree on things everyone seems to treat everyone like family. It's a great little forum, and one that I'm very proud to be a part of the Admin/Mod team. Our members are good people, some I've known for years now, and it's a great place to come talk football, and escape from the harsh realities of life at times.

We're happy to have you. If you've got any buddies in Steeler Nation be sure to tell them about us!  Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 792589548

Here-here, welcome aboard. This forum is extremely well run and lacking in what is so often the norm at other Steelers message boards. It is definitely the quality and not the quantity. The members are all good people to the point I wouldn't mind meeting up with any when I get out to games. Some of these other sites when I go to games I can't help thinking: I sure hope Norman Bates from the message board isn't here Shocked Anyhow, really looking forward to pursuing 7 in 2018 and the discussions on here.

Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 1948569602

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Dobbs on the trade block   Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 02, 2018 7:54 pm

Steeler-in-west wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:

Steeler-in-west wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:

Dobbs is IN.

I agree about points A and B, that should help Dobbs. And I do like his scrambling - running ability. That really helps a young QB. But I'm taking his week 4 preseason performance against scrubs with a grain of salt and I just hope that if he is playing it’s against the browns or maybe the raiders and not against the stiffer competition. We're going to need every win we can get this year for home field, so if Ben is out for a game or two......I just preferred the more experienced backup QB but will trust the judgement of the FO again, seems like they did get the MB situation right.
he may have not been playing against an elite defense, but that doesn't negate the fact that he stood in the pocket against pressure and not only found the open guy, but delivered perfect passes knowing he was going to get hit. he held the ball for the right amount of time, and only moved when he needed to. go back and look at that 79 yd TD drive. he did everything right.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Dobbs on the trade block   Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 02, 2018 11:26 pm

LambertWardSteel wrote:
IowaSteeler927 wrote:
nine vegetable wrote:

We're happy to have you. If you've got any buddies in Steeler Nation be sure to tell them about us!  Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 792589548

Here-here, welcome aboard. This forum is extremely well run and lacking in what is so often the norm at other Steelers message boards. It is definitely the quality and not the quantity. The members are all good people to the point I wouldn't mind meeting up with any when I get out to games. Some of these other sites when I go to games I can't help thinking: I sure hope Norman Bates from the message board isn't here  Shocked  Anyhow, really looking forward to pursuing 7 in 2018 and the discussions on here.

Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 1948569602

Thank you to you, Lambert, and to all who have welcomed me so warmly.

I'm already feeling like I'm at home. Good folks who take a common sense, mature approach to our team. I'm so glad I found this board!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dobbs on the trade block   Dobbs on the trade block - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dobbs on the trade block
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next