Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeTomlin To the Redskins?  Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Tomlin To the Redskins?

Go down 
+10
Shalieve5090
Hawaii 5-0
LambertWardSteel
effyou515
Drizztbob
SteelerFreak58
Mach1
Great Randino
solardave
jak341
14 posters
AuthorMessage
jak341

jak341

Tomlin To the Redskins?  Empty
PostSubject: Tomlin To the Redskins?    Tomlin To the Redskins?  EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 1:12 pm

This can't happen quick enough. Take Butler and Fitchner too.

https://twitter.com/WerderEdESPN/status/1181185219430363138?s=19
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin To the Redskins?    Tomlin To the Redskins?  EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 2:40 pm

And they just might let him out of his remaining year. It's a foregone conclusion Gruden is gone. He'll probably get a job in Oakland.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin To the Redskins?    Tomlin To the Redskins?  EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 3:24 pm

solardave wrote:
And they just might let him out of his remaining year. It's a foregone conclusion Gruden is gone. He'll probably get a job in Oakland.
Gruden got fired early this morning. So, yeah.
Back to top Go down
Mach1
Quest For Seven
Mach1

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin To the Redskins?    Tomlin To the Redskins?  EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 3:33 pm

I doubt Tomlin goes anywhere he has a built in excuse with Ben being down. But who knows?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin To the Redskins?    Tomlin To the Redskins?  EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 3:34 pm

Tomlin will be with us for at least 2 more years minimum. Anyone suggesting anything else is just wishful thinking.
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin To the Redskins?    Tomlin To the Redskins?  EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 4:37 pm

Can we get rid of Fitchner at least?? This guy is hot dumpster garbage.

solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin To the Redskins?    Tomlin To the Redskins?  EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 5:22 pm

Drizztbob wrote:
Can we get rid of Fitchner at least??  This guy is hot dumpster garbage.

And bring someone in from the outside. We might want to be careful what we wish for. They could promote Sarrett to OC. Tomlin To the Redskins?  2217377625
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin To the Redskins?    Tomlin To the Redskins?  EmptyMon Oct 07, 2019 5:49 pm

trade Tomlin for the Redskins 1st round draft choice at least. hey Tomlin and Fichtner have Dwayne Haskins to coach up and Rooney can save face by not firing their Rooney Rule minority hire. everybody wins. between me and you imo Ron Rivera would of been the better hire
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Tim Benz: What it would take for Steelers to trade Mike Tomlin to Redskins   Tomlin To the Redskins?  EmptyTue Oct 08, 2019 1:14 pm

Tomlin’s contract in Pittsburgh lasts through 2021 with a club option for the 2022 season. So any discussion surrounding the potential of the Redskins bringing Tomlin to D.C. would involve compensation back to the Steelers.

If you want a comparison, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers gave the Oakland Raiders their 2002 and 2003 first-round draft picks, 2002 and 2004 second-round draft picks, and $8 million in cash to get Jon Gruden (Jay’s older brother).

Back in 2002. Let that return simmer in your brain for a minute.

Of course, Gruden was coming off two straight playoff seasons in Oakland, whereas Tomlin may be coming off three straight seasons without a playoff win and two consecutive years not even qualifying for the postseason.

The Steelers won’t view it that way. They value coaching stability beyond any other pillar of their franchise. Given that Tomlin has just three playoff wins since the end of the 2010 season with a Hall of Fame quarterback at his disposal, maybe they value that trait to a fault.

My guess is, the idea of swapping out a coach for draft compensation is a conversation that’s not even worth having in the minds of Art Rooney II and Kevin Colbert.

Then again, I never thought they’d trade a first-round pick for a free safety either.

Rooney II would need a cash haul and draft picks in the same neighborhood of what Oakland got for Jon Gruden.
Tomlin would have to want the deal.
I can’t see the Steelers brass doing something like this unless Tomlin said to the management group, “I want out. My time here is done. And I want to go to Washington. I want to be close to my roots in Hampton, Va. I want to be close to my son who plays football at Maryland.

https://triblive.com/sports/tim-benz-what-it-would-take-for-steelers-to-trade-mike-tomlin-to-redskins/

I'd do it in a heart beat for a couple #1 and #2 draft picks.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin To the Redskins?    Tomlin To the Redskins?  EmptyTue Oct 08, 2019 1:40 pm

Not gonna happen. Tomlin may be a coach on the decline but who in their right mind wants to work for Snyder? If Tomlin wanted to go and Snyder offered a deal like the Gruden trade Art II would have to certified bonkers not to take it.
Back to top Go down
LambertWardSteel

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin To the Redskins?    Tomlin To the Redskins?  EmptyTue Oct 08, 2019 5:02 pm

effyou515 wrote:
Tomlin’s contract in Pittsburgh lasts through 2021 with a club option for the 2022 season. So any discussion surrounding the potential of the Redskins bringing Tomlin to D.C. would involve compensation back to the Steelers.

If you want a comparison, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers gave the Oakland Raiders their 2002 and 2003 first-round draft picks, 2002 and 2004 second-round draft picks, and $8 million in cash to get Jon Gruden (Jay’s older brother).

Back in 2002. Let that return simmer in your brain for a minute.

Of course, Gruden was coming off two straight playoff seasons in Oakland, whereas Tomlin may be coming off three straight seasons without a playoff win and two consecutive years not even qualifying for the postseason.

The Steelers won’t view it that way. They value coaching stability beyond any other pillar of their franchise. Given that Tomlin has just three playoff wins since the end of the 2010 season with a Hall of Fame quarterback at his disposal, maybe they value that trait to a fault.

My guess is, the idea of swapping out a coach for draft compensation is a conversation that’s not even worth having in the minds of Art Rooney II and Kevin Colbert.

Then again, I never thought they’d trade a first-round pick for a free safety either.

Rooney II would need a cash haul and draft picks in the same neighborhood of what Oakland got for Jon Gruden.
Tomlin would have to want the deal.
I can’t see the Steelers brass doing something like this unless Tomlin said to the management group, “I want out. My time here is done. And I want to go to Washington. I want to be close to my roots in Hampton, Va. I want to be close to my son who plays football at Maryland.

https://triblive.com/sports/tim-benz-what-it-would-take-for-steelers-to-trade-mike-tomlin-to-redskins/

I'd do it in a heart beat for a couple #1 and #2 draft picks.

Yeah...it definitely would make you think if an offer like that was on the table.

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin To the Redskins?    Tomlin To the Redskins?  EmptyTue Oct 08, 2019 5:16 pm

Tomlin To the Redskins?  Display?key=fd92ebbc52fc43fb98f69e50e7893c13&url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2Fdn83u715ldr31
Back to top Go down
jak341

jak341

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin To the Redskins?    Tomlin To the Redskins?  EmptyTue Oct 08, 2019 5:51 pm

Interesting. I would write this off as a photoshop. There are a few interesting things about this photo. Credit to r/steelers on Reddit.
  • The smaller plane in front was confirmed to be at Pittsburgh International today via Flightaware.
  • The tag from the Redskins place can be found on Flightaware, but all info. is private including flight history.
  • Someone said the smaller plane was seen at Atlantic Aviation, which is the departure location the Steelers used when they fly.
I wonder if Dan Synder, crazy owner with crazy money, at least took a trip here for a chat with the Rooneys. A package for what Gruden got is how franchises get built for 10+ years.

I will still hold my thought: Ben and Tomlin are together. Tomlin doesn't go until Ben is done.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin To the Redskins?    Tomlin To the Redskins?  EmptyTue Oct 08, 2019 7:20 pm

Stop this nonsense.
Back to top Go down
Shalieve5090

Shalieve5090

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin To the Redskins?    Tomlin To the Redskins?  EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 1:26 am

Go please, for the love of God GO!!
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin To the Redskins?    Tomlin To the Redskins?  EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 4:26 am

I don't see the Rooneys doing this in the middle of a season. Perhaps next season, who knows? But I don't think they'd trade off their HC in the middle of a season. That's just not the Steelers M.O.

As to what I'd think about it if Tomlin was in fact traded to the Redskins (after the season, or during). I don't know that I would be that upset. I've been inching more and more towards hopping on the Fire Tomlin bandwagon, but at the same time, I've seen the good things Tomlin has done over the years and know how hard it can be to find a good coach in the NFL. I guess I'm not exactly for it, or against it just yet. The one thing I don't want happening is for the team to get a new coach, and then have a Dolphins-esque fire sale. While our record wouldn't indicate it, I think we're finally starting to put together a championship caliber defense. I think I've seen our secondary knock down more passes this season than I did all of last season, at least it feels that way. Our pass rush is ridiculous as well. We have playmakers on the d-line, at linebacker, and at DB. I don't want to disrupt that.

Offensively we just need a gamebreaking receiver. Someone to to help take the pressure off of Juju Smith-Schuster. He's drawing way too much coverage right now, and the rest of the receiving corps simply isn't capitalizing on that. WR should absolutely be at the top of our team needs going into next year's draft.

This might be why I'd lean towards giving Tomlin one more year following this season. This team could just as easily be 4-1 instead of 1-4 right now. With a couple of key additions through the draft or free agency in the offseason we could be much improved.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin To the Redskins?    Tomlin To the Redskins?  EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 6:19 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
I don't see the Rooneys doing this in the middle of a season. Perhaps next season, who knows? But I don't think they'd trade off their HC in the middle of a season. That's just not the Steelers M.O.

As to what I'd think about it if Tomlin was in fact traded to the Redskins (after the season, or during). I don't know that I would be that upset. I've been inching more and more towards hopping on the Fire Tomlin bandwagon, but at the same time, I've seen the good things Tomlin has done over the years and know how hard it can be to find a good coach in the NFL. I guess I'm not exactly for it, or against it just yet. The one thing I don't want happening is for the team to get a new coach, and then have a Dolphins-esque fire sale. While our record wouldn't indicate it, I think we're finally starting to put together a championship caliber defense. I think I've seen our secondary knock down more passes this season than I did all of last season, at least it feels that way. Our pass rush is ridiculous as well. We have playmakers on the d-line, at linebacker, and at DB. I don't want to disrupt that.

Offensively we just need a gamebreaking receiver. Someone to to help take the pressure off of Juju Smith-Schuster. He's drawing way too much coverage right now, and the rest of the receiving corps simply isn't capitalizing on that. WR should absolutely be at the top of our team needs going into next year's draft.

This might be why I'd lean towards giving Tomlin one more year following this season. This team could just as easily be 4-1 instead of 1-4 right now. With a couple of key additions through the draft or free agency in the offseason we could be much improved.

I agree. You make a lot of sense. As much as I thought this was going to be Washington's breakout year it has not materialized yet. I would fire Fitchner and Butler in a heartbeat but I have mixed emotions with Tomlin. If he leaves at the end of the season I wouldn't be surprised or heartbroken. We need someone who as well as being a game plan guy can evaluate talent across the board at the college level. I wouldn't be opposed to giving that guy more power than Tomlin has right now. A week ago I thought TE was our biggest need but with Vannett coming on board maybe not.

Maybe a WR like these guys:

Laviska Shenault Jr., WR, Colorado
Height: 6-2. Weight: 220.
Projected 40 Time: 4.52.
Projected Round (2020): 1-2.
10/5/19: In 2019, Shenault has 17 receptions for 226 yards and two touchdowns. He has also been dealing with an injury he sustained against Arizona State.

8/17/19: Shenault was one of the top wide receivers in 2018, totaling 86 receptions for 1,011 yards with six touchdowns. He also carried the ball in short-yardage situations out of the wild cat with 115 yards and five scores on 17 carries. From a skill-set perspective, with his height, thickness, and quickness, Shenault reminds me of Steelers wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster. Shenault does not have the size and speed of a Julio Jones or A.J. Green.

Perhaps the trait that stands out the most about Shenault is his toughness. He is a thickly built receiver who plays the game the right way. Many wideouts with Shenault's strength and physicality are prone to pushing off defensive backs, but Shenault has enough quickness to get open and when he gets the ball in hands, he is special, dodging and weaving by defenders while running through arm tackles. He is very physical with defensive backs to power through tackles and get yards after contact. Shenault has quickness and shows a second gear when he gets into the open field. In the pros, he won't be a speed demon of a wide receiver who generates big separation from NFL cornerbacks, but he has some speed to make him dangerous and not limit him to being just a possession wideout. As a receiver, Shenault is pretty polished as he runs good routes, tracks the ball well, has good body control, is a hands catcher, and has strong hands to make contested catches.
OR

CeeDee Lamb*, WR, Oklahoma
Height: 6-2. Weight: 189.
Projected 40 Time: 4.55.
Projected Round (2020): 1-2.
10/5/19: Oklahoma has struggled to get Lamb many targets this year with Jalen Hurts at quarterback, but that finally changed slightly against Texas Tech when Lamb had six receptions for 185 yards and three touchdowns. In 2019, Lamb has 16 receptions for 414 yards and six touchdowns.

8/17/19: Sources say that Lamb has the body and physique of a No. 1 receiver in the NFL. They say he has great hands, runs good routes, and is a polished wideout. While he has good size, Lamb does not have mismatch speed according to team evaluators.

Lamb didn't get the attention of teammate Hollywood Brown, but Lamb was very good for the Sooners in 2018. On the year, he hauled in 65 receptions for 1,158 yards with 11 touchdowns. His average of 17.8 yards per catch illustrated his ability to produce big plays. In 2017, Lamb totaled 46 receptions for 807 yards and seven scores. Lamb could take on a bigger role in 2019 with Brown in the NFL, but he will be working with his third starting quarterback in as many seasons.
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin To the Redskins?    Tomlin To the Redskins?  EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 3:38 pm

solardave wrote:
Drizztbob wrote:

And bring someone in from the outside. We might want to be careful what we wish for. They could promote Sarrett to OC. Tomlin To the Redskins?  2217377625

No that pile of trash needs gone as well. Bring in Munchak!!

solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin To the Redskins?    Tomlin To the Redskins?  EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 3:54 pm

Drizztbob wrote:
solardave wrote:
Drizztbob wrote:

No that pile of trash needs gone as well.  Bring in Munchak!!

Pretty sure if we had a vote here bringing back Munch in any capacity would be unanimous. Tomlin To the Redskins?  1647293567
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin To the Redskins?    Tomlin To the Redskins?  EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 6:38 pm

solardave wrote:
Drizztbob wrote:
solardave wrote:
Drizztbob wrote:

No that pile of trash needs gone as well.  Bring in Munchak!!

Pretty sure if we had a vote here bringing back Munch in any capacity would be unanimous. Tomlin To the Redskins?  1647293567

I would love to see Munchak as an HC, but I wonder if he'd even want that. He left to be closer to his family, he'd have to uproot himself again and I'm not so sure he wants to do that.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin To the Redskins?    Tomlin To the Redskins?  EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 11:11 pm

Offer his family some jobs inside the organization! Boom problem.solved!
Back to top Go down
Stella Nation

Stella Nation

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin To the Redskins?    Tomlin To the Redskins?  EmptyFri Oct 11, 2019 12:57 pm

I'm all for trading Tomlin after the season, but not during the season. Which of the coordinators would take over in that case? Fichtner, Butler or Mr. Bubblegum? They all are at least 10x worse than Tomlin.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin To the Redskins?    Tomlin To the Redskins?  EmptyFri Oct 11, 2019 1:12 pm

I don't think Tomlin is going anywhere.

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin To the Redskins?    Tomlin To the Redskins?  EmptyFri Oct 11, 2019 9:36 pm

SteelersYak wrote:
I don't think Tomlin is going anywhere.

Agreed. And I dont want him gone...yet

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin To the Redskins?    Tomlin To the Redskins?  EmptySat Oct 12, 2019 11:41 am

a draft day deal, Art II sees a player he wants sees the high draft picks the Redskins have and says bye and its only bidness to Tomlin. hires a 30 something coach he likes and that coach fires most of the coaching staff and hires new coaches who he think fits the times and team.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tomlin To the Redskins?    Tomlin To the Redskins?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Tomlin To the Redskins?
Page 1 of 1