Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWhat's your biggest concern? Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

What's your biggest concern?

Go down 
+3
Buddha Bus
SteelersYak
Wallace108
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

What's your biggest concern? Empty
PostSubject: What's your biggest concern?   What's your biggest concern? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 1:02 am

Offense or defense?

I'm not saying the sky is falling on either side of the ball. Just looking for some discussion.
We obviously have some concerns on both offense and defense, but I think defense is the bigger concern.

On offense, our biggest worry is the O-line, just as it is every year. And losing Colon doesn't help. But Ben has shown that he can play well behind a weak O-line. He's going to have to do it again this season, and I think he will.

I'm more concerned about the defense. All we heard during the offseason is how our D is old. I didn't buy into it, but damn they looked old and slow out there Sunday. Troy was nonexistent in the Super Bowl, but I chalked it up to him still being injured. But he was nonexistent against the Ravens as well. Are age and injuries catching up to him? Is the same true for Harrison, Smith, and Farrior?

Whatever the reason was, we couldn't stop the run, we couldn't get to Flacco, and McFadden couldn't cover anyone. It's easy to blame the players, but some of the blame goes to LeBeau. Our defense is built on pressuring the QB. We weren't doing it, so where were the exotic blitzes? For most of the game, it looked like we were playing a vanilla defense like we did in preseason. Ike was the only bright spot on the defense.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: What's your biggest concern?   What's your biggest concern? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 1:08 am

Defense. We looked slow and not ferocious at all. We have been able to win games in the past with a lack of offense thanks to a great defense, but they couldn't even keep it close.

They were making our defense look like Swiss cheese.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: What's your biggest concern?   What's your biggest concern? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 1:19 am

Yep.

The age issue aside, the Patriots created the blueprint for how to attack our defense. The Packers followed the blueprint in the Super Bowl, and now other teams are doing it as well. LeBeau needs to get it figured out ... fast.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: What's your biggest concern?   What's your biggest concern? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 1:25 am

It seems like defenses on the whole have been getting shredded up this year. The amount of yards being put up are ridiculous. If it turns into a total offense game, I would start to be very worried if our offense can't keep up.

Ben was making the right reads, he just wasn't making great throws. You can call that rust or whatever, but I'm confident he will turn it around.

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: What's your biggest concern?   What's your biggest concern? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 4:20 am

Defense. When you can't stop the run OR the pass, you just aren't going to win many games. Hopefully this loss lights the needed fire under their collective ass and they turn it on next week against the Squawks like they did after their first abysmal preseason game against the Foreskins. They really turned it up in game 2 and were all over the field making plays. I'm still worried though. What's your biggest concern? 3945403183

Back to top Go down
supytalpeht

PostSubject: Re: What's your biggest concern?   What's your biggest concern? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 7:57 am

I wasn't particularly worried about the loss until seeing that Colon is out for the season. Far too many good if not great teams have stumbled out of the block and gone on to do well to worry about one game. However, now that our line is going to be a complete patchwork mess again I'm getting concerned.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: What's your biggest concern?   What's your biggest concern? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 9:43 am

supytalpeht wrote:
I wasn't particularly worried about the loss until seeing that Colon is out for the season. Far too many good if not great teams have stumbled out of the block and gone on to do well to worry about one game. However, now that our line is going to be a complete patchwork mess again I'm getting concerned.
Do you ever notice that the more our line gets beat up and depleted, the better it actually gets? If we could just lose 2 or 3 more guys, we should be OK. What's your biggest concern? 3798349058

I wish they would just go ahead and start Gilbert. They didn't plan on starting Pouncey at center last year, but I'd say it worked out fairly well. Throw the kid in there and see what he can do. Seriously ... could he possibly do any worse?

Back to top Go down
supytalpeht

PostSubject: Re: What's your biggest concern?   What's your biggest concern? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 12:37 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
supytalpeht wrote:
Do you ever notice that the more our line gets beat up and depleted, the better it actually gets? If we could just lose 2 or 3 more guys, we should be OK. What's your biggest concern? 3798349058

I wish they would just go ahead and start Gilbert. They didn't plan on starting Pouncey at center last year, but I'd say it worked out fairly well. Throw the kid in there and see what he can do. Seriously ... could he possibly do any worse?

I doubt he could be much worse by any means. However, I doubt he's strong enough or has the endurance to play a full pro-season. It seems that is frequently a problem with rookies, they're strong but no pro strong and they lack the endurance of minimum 16 game season. Gilbert's case isn't helped by him showing up to camp out of shape and overweight. You'll have too take my word for it on him being overweight because I don't have time at the moment to find the article again. In the article he admits too not taking his conditioning very seriously.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: What's your biggest concern?   What's your biggest concern? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 12:52 pm

supytalpeht wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
supytalpeht wrote:

I doubt he could be much worse by any means. However, I doubt he's strong enough or has the endurance to play a full pro-season. It seems that is frequently a problem with rookies, they're strong but no pro strong and they lack the endurance of minimum 16 game season. Gilbert's case isn't helped by him showing up to camp out of shape and overweight. You'll have too take my word for it on him being overweight because I don't have time at the moment to find the article again. In the article he admits too not taking his conditioning very seriously.
I think I remember reading that, but I'm not sure. I'll take your word for it though. But it looks like he might get his chance after all.

Gilbert up next at RT?

With Colon out possibly for the rest of the season, the Steelers will have a new right tackle this Sunday when they host Seattle (0-1). As of right now, that appears to be rookie Marcus Gilbert, the Steelers' second-round pick in this year's draft.

Trai Essex, a versatile lineman who can play center, guard or tackle, could be a candidate at right tackle. But there is already speculation that he may be tried out at right guard this week and could replace Doug Legursky, who didn't play well against the Ravens.

There's also a chance the Steelers might re-sign either Flozell Adams or Max Starks

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/colon-could-be-lost-for-season-gilbert-up-next-at/article_9da47721-1a75-5203-9cbb-68a95bd8e5ca.html

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: What's your biggest concern?   What's your biggest concern? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 1:13 pm

Well, it's official ...

Steelers rookie Gilbert gets nod at right tackle

With Willie Colon likely out for the season, the Steelers will turn to a rookie at right tackle.

Marcus Gilbert will make his first career start Sunday when the Seattle Seahawks visit Heinz Field for a 1 p.m. game.

Read more: Steelers rookie Gilbert gets nod at right tackle - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_756534.html#ixzz1XqzD5KB0
---------------------------------------------

I applaud the move. Now lets see if lightning can strike two years in a row.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: What's your biggest concern?   What's your biggest concern? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 3:11 pm

Defense is my biggest concerned. They looked their age on Sunday. They looked slow, and out of place.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION What's your biggest concern? 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: What's your biggest concern?   What's your biggest concern? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 4:37 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Do you ever notice that the more our line gets beat up and depleted, the better it actually gets? If we could just lose 2 or 3 more guys (except Pouncey!), we should be OK. What's your biggest concern? 3798349058

Fixed it for you, you nipplehead! What's your biggest concern? 1824088959

P.S. What's your biggest concern? 512807920 BRING BACK THE HOTEL!!!

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: What's your biggest concern?   What's your biggest concern? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 6:00 pm

I'm excited to see what the rookie can do.

We need the biggest improvement from the defense.

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: What's your biggest concern?   What's your biggest concern? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 6:14 pm

BGSU A Dub wrote:
I'm excited to see what the rookie can do.

We need the biggest improvement from the defense.

We need improvement all around! What's your biggest concern? 1505004552

Back to top Go down
supytalpeht

PostSubject: Re: What's your biggest concern?   What's your biggest concern? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 8:10 pm

I refuse too panic. We were done in by a perfect storm of shit which just magnified minor problems 100x.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: What's your biggest concern?   What's your biggest concern? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 8:11 pm

supytalpeht wrote:
I refuse too panic. We were done in by a perfect storm of shit which just magnified minor problems 100x.

I'm not in panic mode yet.... just high alert.

Threat level orange, anyone? What's your biggest concern? 1797695198

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: What's your biggest concern?   What's your biggest concern? EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 1:48 am

I was ready to jump off a bridge Sunday night, but now I've got a better perspective.

I'm not going to panic yet. Yeah, we looked like absolute crap, but we got our asses handed to us last season by the Saints and Patriots and still made it to the Super Bowl. This game was a lot uglier, and it hurts more because it was against the Ravens, but I think we have to keep it in perspective. Our defensive players are only 8 months older than they were when they played in the Super Bowl. I don't think they all went from Super Bowl caliber to completely over the hill and useless in 8 months. And sure, our offensive line sucks. But when was the last season that it DIDN'T suck? And we have to figure that Ben isn't going to have too many games like he had against the Ravens.

Let's see what happens Sunday against the Seahawks before we even think about panicking.

Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: What's your biggest concern?   What's your biggest concern? EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 11:35 am

Wallace108 wrote:
I was ready to jump off a bridge Sunday night, but now I've got a better perspective.

I'm not going to panic yet. Yeah, we looked like absolute crap, but we got our asses handed to us last season by the Saints and Patriots and still made it to the Super Bowl. This game was a lot uglier, and it hurts more because it was against the Ravens, but I think we have to keep it in perspective. Our defensive players are only 8 months older than they were when they played in the Super Bowl. I don't think they all went from Super Bowl caliber to completely over the hill and useless in 8 months. And sure, our offensive line sucks. But when was the last season that it DIDN'T suck? And we have to figure that Ben isn't going to have too many games like he had against the Ravens.

Let's see what happens Sunday against the Seahawks before we even think about panicking.

thats the spirit What's your biggest concern? 2335737994

we will be fine and we will win the divison

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: What's your biggest concern?   What's your biggest concern? EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 1:34 pm

It's a long season boys. I think this game was even tougher to watch because the last time we watched the Black and Gold was the heartbreaker in the Super Bowl.

It'll take me until about week 7 until I am pissed and willing to write any of the players off. I just know we didn't play to our potential and they need to turn it around.

JonM229

PostSubject: Re: What's your biggest concern?   What's your biggest concern? EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 1:36 pm

Honestly, I don't see the Steelers losing like that again all season. I almost feel bad for what's going to happen to the Seahawks on Sunday.

"Ray Rice is special.  He is a guy for all situations, as I have said before, even in an elevator." -Mike Tomlin
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/jonmilles
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: What's your biggest concern?   What's your biggest concern? EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 1:40 pm

JonM229 wrote:
Honestly, I don't see the Steelers losing like that again all season. I almost feel bad for what's going to happen to the Seahawks on Sunday.

C'mon, Jon! Feel bad for the Squawks? They're even bigger whiners than the Ratbirds. What's your biggest concern? 3798349058 What's your biggest concern? 2988561446

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's your biggest concern?   What's your biggest concern? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's your biggest concern?
Page 1 of 1