Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeBrian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
effyou515

effyou515

Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant Empty
PostSubject: Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant   Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant EmptySat Feb 19, 2022 4:00 pm

Quote :
With the Steelers, Flores will fill the senior defensive assistant role that Teryl Austin held before he was promoted to defensive coordinator. Former defensive coordinator Keith Butler was in charge of coaching the Steelers outside linebackers before his retirement in January. Jerry Olsavsky has coached the Steelers inside linebackers for the past seven seasons.

https://theredzone.org/Blog-Description/EntryId/21097/Brian-Flores-hired-by-Steelers-as-senior-defensive-assistant

interesting

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant   Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant EmptySat Feb 19, 2022 7:01 pm

I like the hire. Smart coach that the Dolphins let get away.

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant   Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant EmptySun Feb 20, 2022 10:39 am

Great Randino wrote:
I like the hire.  Smart coach that the Dolphins let get away.

I like the hire as well, although I do have reservation about his mindset given he's trying to sue the world. It's my experience that candidates coming in with a disgruntled attitude sometimes have difficulty letting go of their prior battles and properly focusing on the new job. Hopefully, he uses this opportunity to punish the competition and shows everyone they lost out by letting this guy go to the Steelers.
Back to top Go down
Great Randino

PostSubject: Re: Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant   Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant EmptySun Feb 20, 2022 1:35 pm

I understand your reservations, but I do think he has a point. I have no doubt that the Dolphins were interested in tanking. A lot of teams seem to adopt that mindset to get high picks (hello Cincy? Cleveland?). Also there is no doubt that teams are getting around the intent of the Rooney Rule. They are not taking a legitimate look at minority candidates. Amazing to me that, until his lawsuit, there was just one black head coach left in the league (Tomlin). It seems there were more before the rule.

And there are a LOT of good minority candidates out there.

I've never been one to just look at race, and I certainly don't believe someone should be hired just because of their race. But some of these old white coaches keep getting head coaching jobs even when they continuously fail. And then you have Flores getting fired with a winning record. Before him, Hue Jackson (and I'm not a fan of him), pre-Cleveland, got fired at Oakland with an 8-8 record.

Byron Leftwich, Eric Bienemy. Those are two names that pop in my head when I see these kinds of things.
Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant   Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant EmptySun Feb 20, 2022 10:26 pm

My only concern with this is if there is any bad blood between him and Minkah.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant   Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant EmptyMon Feb 21, 2022 10:52 am

Great Randino wrote:
I understand your reservations, but I do think he has a point.  I have no doubt that the Dolphins were interested in tanking.  A lot of teams seem to adopt that mindset to get high picks (hello Cincy?  Cleveland?).  Also there is no doubt that teams are getting around the intent of the Rooney Rule.  They are not taking a legitimate look at minority candidates.  Amazing to me that, until his lawsuit, there was just one black head coach left in the league (Tomlin).  It seems there were more before the rule.

Oh, I think there are a few points he has in his lawsuits. I'm not criticizing his decisions to sue these teams, just pointing out that his legal efforts may be a distraction for him to do his best. Although I'm not sure about his complaint that the Dolphins paid him a bonus to lose. Hell, we all knew they were "Tanking for Tua". But getting paid $100k for each game he lost sounds like a good deal to me  Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant 2087824411  Now that's a job I think I could do well  Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant 1797695198

Lokki wrote:
Maybe, I didn't consider that. I'm thinking that was more of a business decision and Minkah wasn't into the whole tanking thing. Not sure if they parted with bad feelings.

solardave likes this post

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant   Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant EmptyMon Feb 21, 2022 11:10 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
Great Randino wrote:
I like the hire.  Smart coach that the Dolphins let get away.

I like the hire as well, although I do have reservation about his mindset given he's trying to sue the world. It's my experience that candidates coming in with a disgruntled attitude sometimes have difficulty letting go of their prior battles and properly focusing on the new job. Hopefully, he uses this opportunity to punish the competition and shows everyone they lost out by letting this guy go to the Steelers.

Steelers are giving him a chance to do just that.

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant   Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant EmptyMon Feb 21, 2022 11:19 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
Great Randino wrote:
I understand your reservations, but I do think he has a point.  I have no doubt that the Dolphins were interested in tanking.  A lot of teams seem to adopt that mindset to get high picks (hello Cincy?  Cleveland?).  Also there is no doubt that teams are getting around the intent of the Rooney Rule.  They are not taking a legitimate look at minority candidates.  Amazing to me that, until his lawsuit, there was just one black head coach left in the league (Tomlin).  It seems there were more before the rule.

Oh, I think there are a few points he has in his lawsuits. I'm not criticizing his decisions to sue these teams, just pointing out that his legal efforts may be a distraction for him to do his best. Although I'm not sure about his complaint that the Dolphins paid him a bonus to lose. Hell, we all knew they were "Tanking for Tua". But getting paid $100k for each game he lost sounds like a good deal to me  Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant 2087824411  Now that's a job I think I could do well  Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant 1797695198

Lokki wrote:
Maybe, I didn't consider that. I'm thinking that was more of a business decision and Minkah wasn't into the whole tanking thing. Not sure if they parted with bad feelings.

imho I'm on the side of Minkah wanting to get out of Miami more than anything else I got a good ideal Tomlin asked listen to Minkah opinion coaches know coaches in the NFL.

Back to top Go down
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Lokki

PostSubject: Re: Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant   Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant EmptyTue Feb 22, 2022 1:45 pm

effyou515 wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:
Great Randino wrote:

Lokki wrote:

imho I'm on the side of Minkah wanting to get out of Miami more than anything else I got a good ideal Tomlin asked listen to Minkah opinion coaches know coaches in the NFL.

he did want out.. but he wanted out because of how he was being used there, while Flores was the coach.
Back to top Go down
SteelerFreak58

SteelerFreak58

PostSubject: Re: Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant   Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant EmptyWed Feb 23, 2022 3:22 pm

He isn't going to have that big of a role. That is Tomlins defense he calls it and directs it. Flores and Austin will be figure heads.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant   Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant Empty

Back to top Go down

Brian Flores hired by Steelers as senior defensive assistant
Page 1 of 1