Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWallace is Digest Player of Week Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Wallace is Digest Player of Week

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Wallace is Digest Player of Week Empty
PostSubject: Wallace is Digest Player of Week   Wallace is Digest Player of Week EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 5:36 pm

By Bob Labriola - Steelers Digest
Posted 1 hour ago
MIKE WALLACE
Wide Receiver

It was the fifth straight regular season game in which Mike Wallace had over 100 yards receiving, and this was no blowout loss where a team’s passing statistics get padded at the end. Wallace caught eight passes for 126 yards, plus the 2-yard touchdown that accounted for the final points in the Steelers’ 24-0 victory over the Seahawks at Heinz Field. It was Wallace’s ninth career 100-yard receiving game.

Wallace is the Steelers Digest Player of the Week.

(Read More:) http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Wallace-is-Digest-Player-of-Week/b182deb1-558e-43bb-b393-7397a089fa9a

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Great game by Wallace! Not bad for a "one trick pony", huh? Wallace is Digest Player of Week 3798349058

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Wallace is Digest Player of Week   Wallace is Digest Player of Week EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 12:17 am

I think his most dangerous routes are those 5 to 10 yard hook routes (which I Wallace is Digest Player of Week 1426860608'd for) because he gets the ball in open space AND it sets up the stop-n-go/longer routes later.

The fade route on the TD and the catch where he damn near scooped it off the ground were awesome!
Wallace is Digest Player of Week 469886443

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Wallace is Digest Player of Week   Wallace is Digest Player of Week EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 1:09 am

Wallace didn't get many balls thrown his way in preseason, and he looked a little frustrated at times. But there's no doubt he's the No. 1 option in the passing game now. With the weapons we have, I'd liked to see us mix in some no-huddle and 4 or 5 receiver sets. I'm not saying we should make that our standard offense, but throw it in for a few series every game, and it would drive defensive coordinators nuts.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Wallace is Digest Player of Week   Wallace is Digest Player of Week EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 1:28 am

Wallace108 wrote:
Wallace didn't get many balls thrown his way in preseason, and he looked a little frustrated at times. But there's no doubt he's the No. 1 option in the passing game now. With the weapons we have, I'd liked to see us mix in some no-huddle and 4 or 5 receiver sets. I'm not saying we should make that our standard offense, but throw it in for a few series every game, and it would drive defensive coordinators nuts.

As Lee Corso would say: "Not so fast". I still think that Hines is the number 1 option. I think Hines has better hands than Wallace, is able to go over the middle better than Wallace, and I would rather see a run play to Hines side than Wallace's.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Wallace is Digest Player of Week   Wallace is Digest Player of Week EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 1:54 am

In the first two games, Wallace was thrown to 20 times, compared to 15 for Ward (and how many of the passes to Ward were actually bubble screens?).

Wallace is definitely the No. 1 option, and Ward is No. 2. That doesn't mean that Ward is washed up and should be on the bench (as some have argued on other boards). It just means that Ben is looking to Wallace first now.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Wallace is Digest Player of Week   Wallace is Digest Player of Week EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 2:05 am

I would say Wallace has a higher probability of being open. I like them both and I'm very glad to have both. But on 4th down, who would you be looking to throw to? My opinion is Ben would be looking at Hines.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Wallace is Digest Player of Week   Wallace is Digest Player of Week EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 2:19 am

BGSU A Dub wrote:
But on 4th down, who would you be looking to throw to? My opinion is Ben would be looking at Hines.
Fourth down in the Super Bowl ... who did Ben throw to? Wallace is Digest Player of Week 2087824411

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Wallace is Digest Player of Week   Wallace is Digest Player of Week EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 2:23 am

I would have to watch the play again, look at the coverage, and look at Ben's eyes.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Wallace is Digest Player of Week   Wallace is Digest Player of Week EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 2:25 am

BGSU A Dub wrote:
I would have to watch the play again, look at the coverage, and look at Ben's eyes.
I can't say with 100% certainty, but it looks to me like he was looking for Wallace the whole time.

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Wallace is Digest Player of Week   Wallace is Digest Player of Week EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 2:40 am

Here's what I see. 5 WRs. The receivers on the right side are a wash as that's where he is reading the pressure is coming from and his play makers are on the left. Ward and Wallace both run the same route on the play, a curl with Heath going into the flats. There are 2 defenders over top of Ward that are playing him closer that the one CB that is over top of Wallace. If he was eying Wallace, my guess (because it's what I would be hoping for in the situation) is that the receiver would break the route sooner so that he can make the catch before getting too deep down the field. Had Wallace stopped 3 to 4 yards sooner, he would had a better chance to make the catch, or at least a pump fake that could potentially leave Heath wide open. The play appears to be designed to make Hines the first read (to suck the defense into the middle), then Wallace, then Heath.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Wallace is Digest Player of Week   Wallace is Digest Player of Week EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 3:01 am

BGSU A Dub wrote:
The play appears to be designed to make Hines the first read (to suck the defense into the middle), then Wallace, then Heath.
If the play was designed to "suck the defense into the middle," that's where Ward was at. Having Ward go down the middle, drawing coverage from the safety, and having Miller go to the flat, left Wallace in one-on-one coverage. That tells me that Wallace was the primary option on that play. If Ward was the No. 1 option, why did he practically run right at the safety?

And I think the play would have worked, but Ben threw the ball too late. Watch it in slow motion ... Wallace is open, but Ben threw the ball a second too late (and high), which allowed the DB to make a play on it.

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Wallace is Digest Player of Week   Wallace is Digest Player of Week EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 3:25 am

Because you sometimes send your go-to guy to try and suck the defense in because you know it will work. I'm sure 90% of people wearing green and yellow thought they would throw to Hines.

If he was looking at Wallace the whole time, why would he throw it late?
Wallace is Digest Player of Week 2087824411

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Wallace is Digest Player of Week   Wallace is Digest Player of Week EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 3:38 am

BGSU A Dub wrote:
If he was looking at Wallace the whole time, why would he throw it late?
Wallace got there too fast? Wallace is Digest Player of Week 1797695198

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wallace is Digest Player of Week   Wallace is Digest Player of Week Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1