Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSay it ain't so, Merrill! Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Say it ain't so, Merrill!

Go down 
+2
StainlessStill
Buddha Bus
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Say it ain't so, Merrill! Empty
PostSubject: Say it ain't so, Merrill!   Say it ain't so, Merrill! EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 1:36 pm

I just saw on ESPN's Sportscenter, Merrill Hoge say that, unless the Steelers get their trenches straightened out, he thinks they are done. I can't say I disagree. No

Back to top Go down
StainlessStill
Xtreme Newb
StainlessStill

PostSubject: Re: Say it ain't so, Merrill!   Say it ain't so, Merrill! EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 1:49 pm

I agree. It basically all starts in the trench's to any good-great football team and we display zilch of it. Atleast the last couple seasons we had enough in the running game to set Ben free but damn, this offense would be lucky to score more than 10 points a game. Our redzone is even more troubling and we take stupid penalties to boot. Not to mention our run defense going South, but what isn't?

The only thing on our side is the schedule. Maybe sneak in as a wild-card OR hope Baltimore loses to the Texans, beat them in our second game and maybe hope we either have a better conference record or division record. Other than that, we'd be lucky to see a 6th seed.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Say it ain't so, Merrill!   Say it ain't so, Merrill! EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 2:04 pm

StainlessStill wrote:
I agree. It basically all starts in the trench's to any good-great football team and we display zilch of it. Atleast the last couple seasons we had enough in the running game to set Ben free but damn, this offense would be lucky to score more than 10 points a game. Our redzone is even more troubling and we take stupid penalties to boot. Not to mention our run defense going South, but what isn't?

The only thing on our side is the schedule. Maybe sneak in as a wild-card OR hope Baltimore loses to the Texans, beat them in our second game and maybe hope we either have a better conference record or division record. Other than that, we'd be lucky to see a 6th seed.

I hate to say it, but I think the Ravens already have the division sealed up barring a major injury. Like you said, maybe we sneak in as a wild card team, but I don't think we get too far with this team this year. It's time to revamp and reload for next season in the offseason this year.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Say it ain't so, Merrill!   Say it ain't so, Merrill! EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 2:14 pm

It's hard to disagree with what Hoge said.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Say it ain't so, Merrill!   Say it ain't so, Merrill! EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 3:38 pm

We are barley over 25% done with the season and you are saying the Ravens have the division locked up?!

Get a grip, man! Say it ain't so, Merrill! 1824088959 Say it ain't so, Merrill! 3939274466 Say it ain't so, Merrill! 1788976989

What happens if Flacco goes down for the whole season next week? You still think they have the division locked up? One injury, one play can change the whole season. Need an example? Tom Brady a few years ago. Need another? Peyton Manning this year. Need an example of team turning it around? The Lions.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Say it ain't so, Merrill!   Say it ain't so, Merrill! EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 3:45 pm

BGSU A Dub wrote:
We are barley over 25% done with the season and you are saying the Ravens have the division locked up?!

Get a grip, man! Say it ain't so, Merrill! 1824088959 Say it ain't so, Merrill! 3939274466 Say it ain't so, Merrill! 1788976989

What happens if Flacco goes down for the whole season next week? You still think they have the division locked up? One injury, one play can change the whole season. Need an example? Tom Brady a few years ago. Need another? Peyton Manning this year. Need an example of team turning it around? The Lions.
With the current state of our team, what does it say that we have to hope for catastrophic injuries to have any chance?

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Say it ain't so, Merrill!   Say it ain't so, Merrill! EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 3:55 pm

I'm not saying we NEED an injury, I'm just saying that's one small factor that can change the whole complexity of the season.

Let's look:
Teams with a better record than us:
Buffalo
New England
Baltimore
Houston
San Diego

Teams with the SAME record as us:
Jets
Cinci
Cleveland
Oakland

The teams that have a better record than us are 1 game better than us. You think in Buffalo they are saying that the playoffs are a lock? There is A LOT of football left to be played boys and we lost to 2 good teams.

We got this
Say it ain't so, Merrill! 2811592063

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Say it ain't so, Merrill!   Say it ain't so, Merrill! EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 4:10 pm

im not giving up the division yet. i had expectations of going 14-2 or 13-3 and dominating every team we play. obviously that isnt going to happen.i still feel with the schedule we have and the hopes of the line improving even slightly we will be ok

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Say it ain't so, Merrill!   Say it ain't so, Merrill! EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 4:14 pm

BGSU A Dub wrote:

Uhhhhhh..... I DID say "barring a major injury" right in the post. Meaning, if someone like Flacco or Rice goes down for an extended period, the door would be open. I still don't see too much about this Steelers team to make me think they are going to turn this thing around. I hope to hell I am wrong.

Back to top Go down
SteelCityMom

SteelCityMom

PostSubject: Re: Say it ain't so, Merrill!   Say it ain't so, Merrill! EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 5:14 pm

I'm not going to rule the season a complete loss yet...and thanks to an easy schedule, I think they may actually get in the playoffs (probably WC). But I can't say I disagree with Hoge at all. We'll know more in a few weeks. I know it all seems pretty hopeless right now, but I've gotta have a little bit of faith in the back of my head that they can turn this ship around.

Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Say it ain't so, Merrill!   Say it ain't so, Merrill! EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 5:20 pm

SteelCityMom wrote:
I've gotta have a little bit of faith in the back of my head that they can turn this ship around.
I have no doubt they can turn it around. The question is whether or not they're willing to make the hard decisions to do it. Keeping the status quo simply isn't going to work.

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Say it ain't so, Merrill!   Say it ain't so, Merrill! EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 5:21 pm

SteelCityMom wrote:
I'm not going to rule the season a complete loss yet...and thanks to an easy schedule, I think they may actually get in the playoffs (probably WC). But I can't say I disagree with Hoge at all. We'll know more in a few weeks. I know it all seems pretty hopeless right now, but I've gotta have a little bit of faith in the back of my head that they can turn this ship around.

Trust me, I hope I'm wrong. Maybe it's just the "day after blues", but I just don't feel it this year. In past seasons I could believe because at least one side of the ball or the other was carrying the team on it's back. They played with intensity and confidence. I just don't see that swagger this year in any part of this team.

I know it sounds absurd to write the season off this early. It just feels that way to me and I can see it on the field. No desire. No intensity. No sense of urgency. No confidence.

I'm sure it could be turned around, but I'm not sure the players hearts or the coaches' willingness to adapt are there.

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Say it ain't so, Merrill!   Say it ain't so, Merrill! EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 5:52 pm

I'm just trying to keep you positive Buddha Say it ain't so, Merrill! 1378315869

Still a long season to play and it just takes one week to spark a turn around. It ain't over till the Buddha in Lady Gaga appearal sings Say it ain't so, Merrill! 1797695198

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Say it ain't so, Merrill!   Say it ain't so, Merrill! EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 6:34 pm

BGSU A Dub wrote:
I'm just trying to keep you positive Buddha Say it ain't so, Merrill! 1378315869

Still a long season to play and it just takes one week to spark a turn around. It ain't over till the Buddha in Lady Gaga appearal sings Say it ain't so, Merrill! 1797695198

I'd make a much more attractive alternative to that tranny! Say it ain't so, Merrill! 3823912936 Say it ain't so, Merrill! 3798349058

I know it's a long season, I'm just not seeing a lot of positives at this juncture. I'll be the first to jump back on the ol' positivity bandwagon once this team shows some life.... even in a loss.

I'm still a fan through and through and I'll continue watching and rooting for the Steelers till the final game of the season though no matter what. Say it ain't so, Merrill! 792589548

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Say it ain't so, Merrill!   Say it ain't so, Merrill! EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 7:03 pm

I'd say some positivity that I see is this connect that Wallace and Ben have.

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Say it ain't so, Merrill!   Say it ain't so, Merrill! EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 7:17 pm

BGSU A Dub wrote:
I'd say some positivity that I see is this connect that Wallace and Ben have.

No doubt. Ben seems to have found the bridge from Ward to Wallace. The only problem is if we can actually keep Wallace next year. They have got to find a way to retain him. Let Mendy, Farrior, Smith, Foote, Keisel and BMac walk if it frees up the money to make it happen. The team needs to build this offense around Ben and Wallace going forward. I just think they are a couple of o-linemen away from being great honestly.

There are plenty of complimentary receivers who are making their mark, a couple of good tight ends, and some good RBs on this squad. O-line is where we are failing this offense.

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Say it ain't so, Merrill!   Say it ain't so, Merrill! EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 1:01 am

Yea, it makes it tough to know we have this talent but we are unable to use it because Ben doesn't have time to throw.

Like I said, it's put up or shut up time real quick. In the next few weeks we will find out if we are contenders or pretenders.

PostSubject: Re: Say it ain't so, Merrill!   Say it ain't so, Merrill! Empty

Back to top Go down

Say it ain't so, Merrill!
Page 1 of 1