Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWhen does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement?

Go down 
+2
stlrtruck
supytalpeht
6 posters
AuthorMessage
supytalpeht

When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? Empty
PostSubject: When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement?   When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 11:02 am

He's been sacked 300+ times, turns 30 in March, and more than likely has hit his peak as a QB. Don't get me wrong I love some of the things that Ben brings to the table, however, some of those things can be a liability as well. After 8 years in the league there's no reason for him to be making the same mistakes over and over again like we saw on Monday. But, this isn't about Ben it's about when is the right time to draft his replacement. More than likely the Steelers won't be in a position to draft a top 10 pick in the next few years so it would have to be a diamond in the rough, someone that needs a little tutelage. Clearly Lefty and Batch aren't the answer and in limited action Dixon has been ok, but he certainly doesn't appear to be the heir apparent by any means.

I honestly think the FO has to look long and hard at the available QB's in the next two drafts. Find someone that is reasonably accurate and shows an ability to read defenses and let him learn the craft for a few years. With the young talent we have at WR and TE it only makes sense to have a qb ready to go when those guys are at their peak and #7 is starting to both slow down and breakdown physically. Or they could just wait until the wheels fall off #7 and go for a hail mary at the top of the draft.

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? Empty
PostSubject: Re: When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement?   When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 11:22 am

Good question. Personally, I say within the next 2 years they need to secure a capable backup and in the next 3-5 years they need to find a suitable replacement or once again the Steelers will be looking for a stud QB to replace a legacy.

Bradshaw to Roethlisberger to ?????

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement?   When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 1:18 pm

I think BR7 has at least another 5 to 7 (good) years in the tank.

PostSubject: Re: When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement?   When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 2:00 pm

BGSU A Dub wrote:
I think BR7 has at least another 5 to 7 (good) years in the tank.

Not a snowball's chance in hell he makes it 7 more years effectively, unless a light finally goes off in that melon of his and he figures out how to get rid of the @@#$# ball.

As far as I'm concerned at this point the only reason we're not the overall #1 seed is because of his tendency to hold onto the ball and poor decision making. I'm not referring solely to his play on Monday, but his play against the Browns is what put us in that position to begin with. The elite qb's get rid of the ball in under 3 seconds repeatedly, Ben hangs onto it and pump fakes. Instead of going for high percentage plays and putting together drives he's frequently trying to air it out and it bites us in the ass more often than not. SUper bowl in your own endzone and you're doing pump fakes? On the interception to Heath he had Mendy on his right without a defender within 10 yards which is all but guaranteed to net 5-6 making 3rd down reasonable.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement?   When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 2:13 pm

While Ben is an elite QB, I don't know that he is "elite" at reading defenses. When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 1097494264

I think BR7 will be the next Iron Man Brett Favre (minus all the retirement drama)

PostSubject: Re: When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement?   When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 3:11 pm

BGSU A Dub wrote:
I think BR7 will be the next Iron Man Brett Favre (minus all the retirement drama)[/font">

You've got me worried. I've got these visions of a grey haired #7 trying to pump fake from a wheelchair.
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement?   When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 3:18 pm

When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 1549491426 When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 1549491426 When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 1549491426

I honestly want BR7 to play as long as he possibly can (just like I did with Favre). He's my definition of a QB, not some prissy prick that sits back in the pocket, or looks like an air traffic controller prior to the play. He takes his hits, he extends the play, he plays football and doesn't bitch about it.

solardave

PostSubject: Re: When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement?   When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 4:03 pm

As tough as Ben is I don't see him lasting 5 more years at this rate much less 7. He needs to change his style a little or we need an elite line. Ah wait a minute. I don't think either will happen anytime soon. While I don't agree his style bites us in the ass more than not it does get old in games like Monday night. OK I'll say he couldn't step into his throws. (Here's an idea. DON'T PLAY HIM) or hey Ben if you know you can't make that throw don't DO IT!!! Dump it off to the RB or someone in the middle. Take what the defense gives you. By that I don't mean have you di..k shoved into the dirt. Take the easy 3 or 5 yards and no not that dumbass bubble screen that makes us all hold our breathe waiting for a DB to take it the other way to the house.

When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 3135543967 confused When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 2605341373
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement?   When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 4:16 pm

We all know Ben is a competitor and he wanted in that game. He tried to do too much on injuries that are restricting him. I really can't fault the guy, I would have done the same thing. He's not a quitter and I love that about him. I will never say he shouldn't have played, but he needs to seriously weigh his options now.

It's easy for all of us to say "sit him, sit him"... but if he woulda won the game we wouldn't be saying the same thing. We were in the drivers seat, and BR7 wanted to be the driver and take the bye week as his week to heal. That's the exact way I would have played it, too.

If he would have sat, fans would say "we have the chance to have the #1 seed and we are sitting our playmaker? WTF?!"

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement?   When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 4:38 pm

BGSU A Dub wrote:
We all know Ben is a competitor and he wanted in that game. He tried to do too much on injuries that are restricting him. I really can't fault the guy, I would have done the same thing. He's not a quitter and I love that about him. I will never say he shouldn't have played, but he needs to seriously weigh his options now.

It's easy for all of us to say "sit him, sit him"... but if he woulda won the game we wouldn't be saying the same thing. We were in the drivers seat, and BR7 wanted to be the driver and take the bye week as his week to heal. That's the exact way I would have played it, too.

If he would have sat, fans would say "we have the chance to have the #1 seed and we are sitting our playmaker? WTF?!"

I agreed with starting him for the chance at the #1 overall seed, but it was apparent early that he didn't have it that night and they should have pulled him for Batch. There should have been a point where that became obvious to the coaching staff, but it didn't or they were too afraid of upsetting Ben's "drama queen" side. Tomlin needs to know when to step in and actually be the head coach and make tough decisions which he has been lacking in.

I say we need to draft a decent QB in the next 2 years as well, but it's hard when you consistently pick in the high 20s-30s. Dixon has not panned out. Batch is too old. Lefty could be an OK caretaker for a season or 2 but, beyond that, we are going to need a future starter to take over the reins.

Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement?   When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 5:22 pm

The fact that Ben only practiced one day all week should have been the sign that he probably would not play well. That coupled with the fact that he threw a pick on the first drive. Who's in charge here? Tomlin,Ben? Arians?

So Ben doesn't start and he's pissed. Like B.B. said he's a competitor he'll get over it. Well this chapter is closed I hope Tomlin learned something from it. Take the reins man. In all your post game interviews you sound and look like you're in charge. Start being in charge. What if Ben got seriously hurt because he was a sittin' duck. First round bye, ok but we seem to play better with our backs against the wall anyway. I just think we're lucky something real bad didn't happen besides loosing.

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement?   When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 5:28 pm

solardave wrote:
The fact that Ben only practiced one day all week should have been the sign that he probably would not play well. That coupled with the fact that he threw a pick on the first drive. Who's in charge here? Tomlin,Ben? Arians?

So Ben doesn't start and he's pissed. Like B.B. said he's a competitor he'll get over it. Well this chapter is closed I hope Tomlin learned something from it. Take the reins man. In all your post game interviews you sound and look like you're in charge. Start being in charge. What if Ben got seriously hurt because he was a sittin' duck. First round bye, ok but we seem to play better with our backs against the wall anyway. I just think we're lucky something real bad didn't happen besides loosing.

EXACTAMUNDO!

When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? Fonzie_l

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement?   When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 12:15 am

But how many times in a game has BR7 just ignited out of nowhere and led the team to victory? I think we should have left BR7 in the game until the last few minutes.

solardave

PostSubject: Re: When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement?   When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 4:26 am

BGSU A Dub wrote:
But how many times in a game has BR7 just ignited out of nowhere and led the team to victory? I think we should have left BR7 in the game until the last few minutes.

I can't remember many games where he started like that and pulled it out in the forth. Not with 3 ints and a fumble.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement?   When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 11:13 am

about 20 years after Ben retires. When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 294855916

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement?   When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 4:44 am

effyou515 wrote:
about 20 years after Ben retires. When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 294855916

Exactly we bring in Cliff Stout or high and wide O'Donnell.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement?   When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 7:46 am

solardave wrote:
effyou515 wrote:

Thanks Dave, my therapist was just giving me credit for getting over these issues and you bring them right back up. I'm sending you my therapist's bill this month!

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement?   When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 8:09 am

solardave wrote:
effyou515 wrote:

When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 2583843358 When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 2583843358 When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 2583843358 When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 2583843358 When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 2583843358 When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 2583843358 When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 2583843358 When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 2583843358 When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 2583843358

There's no question in my mind it should be Mike Tomczak. When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 1797695198

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement?   When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 6:13 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
solardave wrote:
effyou515 wrote:

When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 2583843358 When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 2583843358 When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 2583843358 When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 2583843358 When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 2583843358 When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 2583843358 When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 2583843358 When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 2583843358 When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 2583843358

There's no question in my mind it should be Mike Tomczak. When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 1797695198

you guys forgot Mark Malone When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 1797695198

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement?   When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 8:05 pm

effyou515 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
solardave wrote:
effyou515 wrote:

you guys forgot Mark Malone When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 1797695198

Not so much "forgot" as "purged from my memory". When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? 1797695198

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement?   When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement? Empty

Back to top Go down

When does the FO start thinking about drafting Ben's eventual replacement?
Page 1 of 1