Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSearch begins for Arians' replacement Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Search begins for Arians' replacement

Go down 
+3
effyou515
solardave
mesaSteeler
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mesaSteeler
Xtreme Newb

Search begins for Arians' replacement Empty
PostSubject: Search begins for Arians' replacement   Search begins for Arians' replacement EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 10:17 am

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_777758.html#

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

By Ralph N. Paulk
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, January 21, 2012

Let the search for Ben Roethlisberger's next mentor begin.

Bruce Arians, 59, the Steelers' offensive coordinator the past five seasons, retired Friday, throwing uncertainty into an offensive unit that is considered to have underachieved much of this past season.

Despite having one of the top quarterbacks in the league and a young, up-and-coming receiving corps, the Steelers averaged fewer than three touchdowns per game this season and ranked among the league's bottom third in offensive output. Their struggles were magnified against top defenses and could not carry the team past the wild-card round of the playoffs.

"I'm grateful to Bruce for his contributions and wish him nothing but the best in retirement," said coach Mike Tomlin in a statement. "I appreciate his efforts over the past five years for helping to lead our offense."

In choosing a new coordinator, the Steelers are likely to consider how a new offensive architect will handle Roethlisberger. The quarterback often vocally praised and supported Arians, whom he considered a friend. Arians, it has been argued, became too close to Ben and relied too heavily on Roethlisberger's arm rather than build a reliable ground game -- something Steelers president Art Rooney II asked Tomlin to resurrect a few seasons ago.

Arians could not be reached for comment yesterday. Tomlin's was the only statement released by the Steelers.

The Steelers likely will interview quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner, partly because the organization historically has promoted from within. Arizona coach Ken Wisenhunt and Arians were Steelers position coaches before being elevated to offensive coordinator.

This time, though, the Steelers could hire an outsider, such as former Indianapolis coach Jim Caldwell, Green Bay offensive coordinator Tom Clements and former Kansas City coach Todd Haley.

Whoever the Steelers choose, he will inherit an inconsistent and injury-plagued offensive line that allowed 42 sacks -- 40 against its $102 million franchise quarterback. That tied for ninth most in the league, and only two other quarterbacks were sacked more often than Roethlisberger. The Steelers allowed 43 sacks in 2010 -- eighth most in the league.

Questions also surround the running game. The Steelers averaged about 119 yards per game -- good for 14th in the league -- but there is uncertainty about how effective starter Rashard Mendenhall will be after knee surgery.

What's more, all three backup quarterbacks are unrestricted free agents. The Steelers yesterday signed former Heisman Trophy winner Troy Smith but still could be in the market for a reliable backup.

Steelers coaches, including Tomlin, will be at the Senior Bowl in Alabama next week scouting players for the 2012 NFL Draft. The Senior Bowl is also recognized among coaches as an unofficial job fair, and Tomlin could search for Arians' replacement there.

Despite myriad injuries this season, the Steelers posted a 12-4 record and were 12th in the NFL in total offense (372.3 yards per game). They failed, however, to consistently score touchdowns, tying for 21st in scoring (20.3 points per game).

"Every year we set out to win the Super Bowl, and every year we don't it's a disappointment," tight end Heath Miller said. "We have to get better next year."

Tomlin had said he expected Arians and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau to return next season. However, on Tuesday, Rooney suggested senior-level assistant coaches could retire and pinpointed the offense's inconsistency as something that needed improving during the offseason.

Arians became offensive coordinator when Whisenhunt took the head coaching job at Arizona. He had spent three seasons as the team's receivers coach. Under Arians as offensive coordinator, the Steelers won a Super Bowl and appeared in another.

Arians, though, couldn't distance himself from constant criticism, particularly this season. Despite having two of the league's best deep threats in Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown, the offense stalled against some of the league's best defenses. The Steelers scored a combined 20 points in road losses to playoff qualifiers Baltimore (35-7), Houston (17-10) and San Francisco (20-3).

Ralph N. Paulk can be reached at rpaulk@tribweb.com or 412-320-7923 .

Read more: Search begins for Arians' replacement - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_777758.html#ixzz1k6dMS8Om
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Search begins for Arians' replacement   Search begins for Arians' replacement EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 3:56 pm

It pretty much says it all. We underachieved and BA was too close to Ben to see it wasn't working. Haley might be a good candidate because he's a hard nose type. I think he can handle Ben. Caldwell might be more like a father figure but the difference would be a father who is clearly in charge. And if Clements could make Kordell look good imagine what he could do with Ben.

Also I haven't seen or heard much about the interest in Hue Jackson. I do see the FO going out of character and hiring an outsider. Someone who wasn't affiliated with BA.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Search begins for Arians' replacement   Search begins for Arians' replacement EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 4:18 pm

hope the FO can get an OC that works well with the o-line coach to maximise what talent the Steelers have on the o-line in his play calling.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Search begins for Arians' replacement   Search begins for Arians' replacement EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 4:40 pm

effyou515 wrote:

hope the FO can get an OC that works well with the o-line coach to maximise what talent the Steelers have on the o-line in his play calling.

The Steelers have talent on the O-line?!?!?!?!? affraid

Search begins for Arians' replacement 1797695198

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Search begins for Arians' replacement   Search begins for Arians' replacement EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 4:52 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
effyou515 wrote:

thats why l said "what talent on the o-line" like very little Search begins for Arians' replacement 1797695198

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Search begins for Arians' replacement   Search begins for Arians' replacement EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 4:57 pm

effyou515 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
effyou515 wrote:

thats why l said "what talent on the o-line" like very little Search begins for Arians' replacement 1797695198

I think we could be somewhat OK if we can just get Colon back healthy and move him to RG, resign Starks for LT (or draft a good tackle to replace at RT and move Gilbert to LT) and keep Pouncey healthy. Maybe draft a guard as well in the higher rounds to replace Legursky as a starter (he has more value as a backup, but can be a serviceable starter). We could cut loose either J. Scott or Essex and keep Foster as a backup too. The main goal has to be to keep these guys healthy which is something they have been unable to do for a few seasons now.

Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Search begins for Arians' replacement   Search begins for Arians' replacement EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 5:09 pm

i hope the FO can get an OC that doesn't FU all the FT

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller

Last edited by fer69 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Search begins for Arians' replacement   Search begins for Arians' replacement EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 5:11 pm

fer69 wrote:
i hope he FO can get an OC that doesn't FU all the FT

HOLY CRAP! I read that same message in my alphabet soup this afternoon! It's an omen! Search begins for Arians' replacement 2583843358

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Search begins for Arians' replacement   Search begins for Arians' replacement EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 8:29 pm

Video of the Arians termination ...

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Search begins for Arians' replacement   Search begins for Arians' replacement EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 12:58 am

kirklandrules wrote:

Search begins for Arians' replacement 1549491426

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Search begins for Arians' replacement   Search begins for Arians' replacement EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 2:43 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:

Search begins for Arians' replacement 1549491426

Search begins for Arians' replacement 3562723908

PostSubject: Re: Search begins for Arians' replacement   Search begins for Arians' replacement Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1