Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeEleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mesaSteeler
Xtreme Newb

Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents Empty
PostSubject: Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents   Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Thursday, January 12, 2012
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Eleven Steelers will become unrestricted free agents and seven more will become restricted free agents if they do not sign contracts with the team before March.

The unrestricted free agents are: Charlie Batch, Jerricho Cotchery, Dennis Dixon, Trai Essex, William Gay, Chris Hoke, Byron Leftwich, Anthony Madison, Mewelde Moore, Daniel Sepulveda and Max Starks.

The restricted free agents are: Ramon Foster, David Johnson, Doug Legursky, Keenan Lewis, Jamon Meredith, Ryan Mundy and Mike Wallace.

Those to whom the Steelers retain exclusive rights -- meaning they will not become free agents if a minimum contract is offered -- are: Jeremy Kapinos, Steve McLendon and Isaac Redman.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12012/1203137-100.stm#ixzz1jIy6yg80
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents   Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 10:32 pm

YES!!! mesa is here. Now I can stop killing myself posting articles. Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents 1372836603

Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents 1797695198

Welcome aboard, mesa. Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents 230572241

I never thought I would say this, but we need to re-sign Gay.
I say keep Kapinos and let Sep go.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents   Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 11:59 pm

We've got to keep Cotchery.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents   Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 12:02 am

Gingerchip wrote:
We've got to keep Cotchery.
I'd love to keep Cotchery, but he's going to want more money. We're not going to pay him what he wants to be the No. 4 receiver. And it's unlikely he'll settle again for being the No. 4 receiver.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents   Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 12:08 am

Wallace108 - don't be such a debbie downer!

Seriously though, he left money on the table at the Jets......he has stated over and over that he has never played in an atmosphere like Pittsburgh. With Sanders health questionable....maybe he'll get more play.

BTW, since Hines has stated he will take a pay cut and adamently wants to stay with Pit, do you think the Rooney's will step up to the plate and keep him?
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents   Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 12:21 am

Gingerchip wrote:
Wallace108 - don't be such a debbie downer!

Seriously though, he left money on the table at the Jets......he has stated over and over that he has never played in an atmosphere like Pittsburgh. With Sanders health questionable....maybe he'll get more play.

BTW, since Hines has stated he will take a pay cut and adamently wants to stay with Pit, do you think the Rooney's will step up to the plate and keep him?
Me, a debbie downer? Pffffft!! Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents 1797695198

I didn't hear this anywhere. These are just my thoughts (which tend to be wrong more times than not). I think Cotchery joined the Steelers thinking he would quite possibly be the No. 3 receiver. At the time, we were making a play for Plaxico, so all signs pointed to concern at the position. Ward and Wallace had No. 1 and No. 2 locked down. Sanders was injured again, and Brown had yet to emerge. So No. 3 looked like a real possibility for Cotchery. And with Hindes' age and possibly losing a step, No. 2 could have been a possibility at some point during the season. But then Sanders came back from his injury and Brown exploded. So Cotchery sat the bench.

Never say never though. I guess it's possible they could still try to sign him depending on what their future plans are for Ward and Wallace. But I think it's highly unlikely all 5 receivers will be wearing Black and Gold again next season.

Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents   Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 12:31 am

So you're not letting me keep Brown, Ward, Sanders, Wallace and Cotchery? Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents 2164293255

I like Sanders, I really do, but I'm concerned about this longevity (doesn't have some severe foot issues?) Wallace, I'd let go. I don't think he is tough enough for the Steelers. I just can't imagine the Rooney's cutting Hines at this point.......not after all he has done for the organization. So my bets are on Brown, Sanders, Ward and Cotchery.

I'm probably wrong..............but this is how I would love to see it play out. However, if Hines is released (at which time I may begin to use my terrible towel as a dishrag), then they really should keep Cotchery. Brown, for sure. The other young whipper snappers, I'm not too sure about.

We will know about Hines by March 1 - as his contract states that the Steelers have to either guarantee him back or release him.

This could be the apocalypse.
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents   Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 12:38 am

Besides.....isn't that what Mr. Roethlisberger wanted? A TALL WR? Jerricho is the tallest.

And what Big Ben wants........Big Ben gets.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents   Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 12:50 am

Gingerchip wrote:
And what Big Ben wants........Big Ben gets.

And that's part of our problem. Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents 294855916 Here's a good article that touches on that subject. http://www.steelersxtreme.com/t1654-the-case-against-arians

The only thing we know for certain is that Brown and Sanders will be back. Wallace is almost a certainty. I'd put Hines at 50/50. Unless they decide to part ways with Wallace (which I don't see happening), I don't see any way they keep Cotchery.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents   Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 12:59 am

Ginger, this backs up what I was just saying ... sorry.

Quote :
Veteran Jerricho Cotchery, who signed a one-year contract with the Steelers in August after asking for and receiving his release from the New York Jets, is a different case. Cotchery will be an unrestricted free agent and, while the Steelers would like him back, they will not offer him big money, and he could look for a team on which he could start.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12012/1202980-66.stm#ixzz1jJbB8YrB

Back to top Go down
BornaSteelersfan
Xtreme Newb
BornaSteelersfan

PostSubject: Re: Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents   Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 2:43 am

I hate to say this, but I doubt we are able to keep Wallace next season. It might be nice to get a 1st round draft choice for him. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cowboys or even the Giants (especially if they don't win the SB this year) offer him big money and are willing to take the draft hit for a chance to go to the "big show".

I also don't think we will be able to keep Cotchery. He might wind up in a Carolina uniform next season. This is why we will renegotiate Ward's contract and keep him around. We may even use a middle draft choice on a WR if that is the case.
Back to top Go down
BornaSteelersfan
Xtreme Newb
BornaSteelersfan

PostSubject: Re: Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents   Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 2:47 am

Furthermore, I think we will resign Gay because we need his ability. I think he may even play better as a safety or a spy to get us some needed INT's. He has proven to be able to read QB's quite well when given the opportunity.

With all these possible personnel changes, it will be a very interesting off-season.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents   Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 2:53 am

BornaSteelersfan wrote:
I hate to say this, but I doubt we are able to keep Wallace next season. It might be nice to get a 1st round draft choice for him. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cowboys or even the Giants (especially if they don't win the SB this year) offer him big money and are willing to take the draft hit for a chance to go to the "big show".

I also don't think we will be able to keep Cotchery. He might wind up in a Carolina uniform next season. This is why we will renegotiate Ward's contract and keep him around. We may even use a middle draft choice on a WR if that is the case.
First of all, welcome to SX. Glad to have you here. Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents 230572241

I'm still leaning toward Wallace being back. The one thing I keep thinking is that I've seen Steelers' fans opinion of him change dramatically the past month or so. Midway through the season, someone would have been crazy to talk about letting him go. But now, that seems to be the general consensus. As fans, if we were able to notice the drop off in his play, other teams obviously did as well. Even so, I'm sure there are plenty of teams that would like to sign him even if they had to pay him big money. But I'm not sure how many would be willing to give up a first-round pick for him. Not after seeing how he underperformed in the second half of the season. Then again, there's always a few teams out there who go against the grain, so you could be right.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents   Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 2:55 am

BornaSteelersfan wrote:
it will be a very interesting off-season.
I agree. Is it too soon to start talking about all the big-name free agents we think they should sign even though we know they never will? Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents 1797695198

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents   Eleven Steelers could become unrestricted free agents Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1