Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWill the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft? Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft?

Go down 
+4
solardave
riccosuavez
supytalpeht
fer69
8 posters
AuthorMessage
fer69

fer69

Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft? Empty
PostSubject: Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft?   Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft? EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 1:43 pm

Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft? 5770086-300x221
"Big Snack," batting down a "Ginger Spice" pass, is entering the twilight of his career. Mandatory Credit: Jason Bridge-US PRESSWIRE

Well, it’s official: the Steelers are now in “dire straits” when it comes to the Nose Tackle position. With Chris Hoke’s recent retirement, the soon to be 35 year old Casey Hampton needing ACL surgery, and Steve McLendon only tipping the scales at around 280 lbs., Pittsburgh is at the point where finding a 0-Technique, 3-4 Nose Tackle is of the highest importance.

Worries aside, this year’s Draft should provide Pittsburgh with a terrific opportunity to help to cure their ills at the center of their Defensive Line. So sit back, relax, and ready yourself for a short breakdown of six potential Nose Tackle prospects which the Steelers could be eying in this April’s Draft:

Dontari Poe: Memphis (6’5″ 350 lbs.)

Dontari Poe appears to be the consensus #1 0-Technique, 3-4 NT of this season’s Draft class, and I would have a hard time arguing with that sentiment. Poe is an absolute “mountain of a man,” and has improved each and every season while playing at Memphis.
Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft? 5616192-243x300
Poe was an absolute beast at Memphis. Mandatory Credit: Troy Taormina-US PRESSWIRE

Poe, a Junior from Memphis, TN, established himself as a force to be reckoned with during his three year collegiate career, and consistently improved over the 30 games which he started from 2009-2011.

In 2009, Poe earned Conference USA All-Freshman honors and racked up 27 Tackles in 6 starts, 7 TFL, 3 FF, and 2.0 Sacks. Poe followed his effective Freshman campaign by accumulating 41 Tackles, 6.5 TFL, 2.0 Sacks and earned Honorable All-Conference USA honors in 2010. Finally, this past season, Poe made 33 Tackles, 8 TFL, 1.0 Sack, had 3 PBU’s, 1 FF, and was named the Tigers’ Team Defensive MVP.

Poe’s biggest drawback may be his age, as he will only be 22 when the 2012 season starts and left school with a year of eligibility remaining. Dontari will likely face the same kind of extensive seasoning process as Ziggy Hood, but even though he may have left school after 3 seasons, he still started 2.5 of them, so that’s not a huge worry.

Hopefully, longtime D-Line Coach John Mitchell can help Poe to develop quickly, and Hampton can squeeze one more decent year out of himself so Poe could be playing some significant snaps by the end of the season if he is drafted by Pittsburgh.

I believe that inserting Poe into a Defensive Line consisting of DE’s Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward, could give Pittsburgh its “D-Line of the Future” in immediate the “Present.” And by 2013, the Steelers Front 3 Base-Set would be a young force to be reckoned with and could be tearing up the League and striking fear into the opposition. Maybe Poe will be the final building block, and you certainly can’t teach the kind of size and brute strength which Dontari possesses.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/01/28/will-the-steelers-select-any-of-these-nose-tackle-prospects-in-the-2012-draft/#more-11967

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
supytalpeht

Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft?   Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft? EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 2:02 pm

I waffle on a daily basis between a top Guard prospect and Poe in the 1st round. My favorite option is still to put a 1st round tender on Wallace and letting him go giving us two 1st round picks in the process. That way we could fill two of our most pressing needs with solid prospects and our WR's would still be solid with Brown,Sanders, and Cotchery. I still really really want a 6'5 WR though, damn you Sweed.
Back to top Go down
riccosuavez
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft?   Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft? EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 6:12 pm

I salivate at the thoughts of a top notch O-Lineman, but if Poe is still there I think we have to take him. He appears to be "that good". Burefit? sp. is another LB that looks to be a stud. I have heard his character is questioned, any thoughts.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft?   Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft? EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 5:26 am

supytalpeht wrote:
I waffle on a daily basis between a top Guard prospect and Poe in the 1st round. My favorite option is still to put a 1st round tender on Wallace and letting him go giving us two 1st round picks in the process. That way we could fill two of our most pressing needs with solid prospects and our WR's would still be solid with Brown,Sanders, and Cotchery. I still really really want a 6'5 WR though, damn you Sweed.

Can we turn Poe into a 6'5" 350lb WR? Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft? 1797695198 Maybe he can go old school and play both sides? Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft? 1549491426

Who in the hell would want to tackle this guy. Ryan Clark would get the hell out of his way!!
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft?   Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft? EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 5:44 am

solardave wrote:
supytalpeht wrote:

Can we turn Poe into a 6'5" 350lb WR? Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft? 1797695198 Maybe he can go old school and play both sides? Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft? 1549491426

Who in the hell would want to tackle this guy. Ryan Clark would get the hell out of his way!!

It's like standing in the middle of the train tracks: Only do it if your suicidal.

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft?   Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft? EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 6:15 am

would like to see the steelers draft Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia with there first pick.
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft?   Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft? EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 7:09 am

Cordy Glenn is who I want to see us take, but i'm still leaning towards Mark Barron, Safety out of Alabama.

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft?   Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft? EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 7:22 pm

Poe certainly isn't a 1st or 2nd round pick. Maybe the Steelers would take a raw guy like this in the 4th round. He's big and strong, but he hasn't shown dominance. If you want to sniff the top rounds of the draft, you better be dominate.
Back to top Go down
supytalpeht

PostSubject: Re: Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft?   Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft? EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 7:58 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
Poe certainly isn't a 1st or 2nd round pick. Maybe the Steelers would take a raw guy like this in the 4th round. He's big and strong, but he hasn't shown dominance. If you want to sniff the top rounds of the draft, you better be dominate.

I've seen him as low as 28th and as high as 11th as a prospect overall, can't say that I've seen him as 3rd rounder or worse.
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft?   Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft? EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 7:22 am

kirklandrules wrote:

i'm with you i'm looking for a 3rd round NT.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft?   Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft? EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 9:35 am

supytalpeht wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:

I've seen him as low as 28th and as high as 11th as a prospect overall, can't say that I've seen him as 3rd rounder or worse.

First, the guy played at Memphis and wasn't consistantly banging against the top tier in college. In most of the scouting reports I've read, he's knocked for getting blocked by a single blocker and doesn't fight through double teams.

In contrast, Big Snack played at Texas, faced top talent, and was dominant. Ziggy played on a successful Missouri team, faced good talent, and was dominant. Heyward played for Ohio State, faced top talent, and was dominant.

Poe is big, strong and has some talent with the potential for great upside. Not sure that's a 1st or 2nd round pick. If the Steelers do choose him, I'll root for him like I root for everyone in Black and Gold.

This is a preliminary scouting report from Dec:
Projection: Right now I have a 3rd round grade on Poe. I thought about grading him as a round four guy, but his size, strength and burst off of the line of scrimmage is just too rare that I don’t think he would slide that far.
http://nfldraftmonsters.com/scouting/defensive-tackle/preliminary-scouting-report-dontari-poe/
Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft?   Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft? EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 9:51 am

I'd hate to lose Wallace, but if we were to get 2 1st rounders in his place at positions where we are in dire need, maybe it is worth the sacrifice with our most talent stacked position. Brown and Sanders are going to be dominant next year.

supytalpeht

PostSubject: Re: Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft?   Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft? EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 10:18 am

kirklandrules wrote:
supytalpeht wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:

First, the guy played at Memphis and wasn't consistantly banging against the top tier in college. In most of the scouting reports I've read, he's knocked for getting blocked by a single blocker and doesn't fight through double teams.

In contrast, Big Snack played at Texas, faced top talent, and was dominant. Ziggy played on a successful Missouri team, faced good talent, and was dominant. Heyward played for Ohio State, faced top talent, and was dominant.

Poe is big, strong and has some talent with the potential for great upside. Not sure that's a 1st or 2nd round pick. If the Steelers do choose him, I'll root for him like I root for everyone in Black and Gold.

Projection: Right now I have a 3rd round grade on Poe. I thought about grading him as a round four guy, but his size, strength and burst off of the line of scrimmage is just too rare that I don’t think he would slide that far.
http://nfldraftmonsters.com/scouting/defensive-tackle/preliminary-scouting-report-dontari-poe/

And the same guy has him going 26th to Houston in his mock draft.
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft?   Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft? EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 11:46 am

supytalpeht wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:
supytalpeht wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:

And the same guy has him going 26th to Houston in his mock draft.

That's funny how the hype of the draft works. So this guy originally has him graded as a 3rd rounder in his prelim scounting report and without Poe playing another down, he's now thinking he's a 1st round grade in his mock draft???

The same thing happened in reverse with Big Ben. Right after playing his final game in college, he was rated as the #1 QB. By draft day, he was the 3rd QB taken. I was helping a friend put up a fence during that draft and wasn't able to watch it. My wife call me and said the Steelers drafted some guy named : "Roethlsomethingorother. Who the hell is that?". My response was that we drafted the best QB in college football.

Still I don't think the Steelers take Poe in the 1st. They tend to take dominant, impact players in the 1st, not projects.
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft?   Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft? EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 9:31 am

Seems like Poe going in the 3rd or 4th round is a little off, eh? I guess that combine performance was enough.

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft?   Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft? EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 6:49 am

Still don't think the Steelers are going to burn their 1st round pick on a NT.

Draft Josh Chapman in the 3rd and Hebron Fangupo in the 5th rounds and pick up Nicolas Jean-Baptiste as a undrafted free agent.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft?   Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft? Empty

Back to top Go down

Will the Steelers Select any of these Nose Tackle Prospects in The 2012 Draft?
Page 1 of 1