Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWith the 24th Pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers Select... a Nose Tackle  Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

With the 24th Pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers Select... a Nose Tackle

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
fer69

fer69

With the 24th Pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers Select... a Nose Tackle  Empty
PostSubject: With the 24th Pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers Select... a Nose Tackle    With the 24th Pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers Select... a Nose Tackle  EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 7:40 pm

by Anthony Defeo

Feb 16, 2012 8:00 AM EST

2012 Steelers Draft

One of the most popular phrases uttered when analyzing any NFL game is "the team that wins the battle at the line of scrimmage usually wins the game." Despite the fact the NFL is now quarterback-driven, the team coming out on top is usually the one dominating the line of scrimmage.

As most loyal fans know, the Pittsburgh Steelers have been using a 3-4 defense for many years, and the main job of a defensive lineman in this scheme is to take on double teams and allow the linebackers to flow freely so they can either get to the quarterback or shut down the running game.

This is especially true for a nose tackle in the 3-4 defense.

If the other team must use both a center and guard to occupy the nose tackle, he's more than doing his job. And if he excels in that role, he becomes a very disruptive force.

For the better part of the past 11 seasons, Casey Hampton has been one of those dominant Pro Bowl (five times) nose tackles, and is one of the main reasons why the Steelers have had so much success on defense in recent years.

With the 24th Pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers Select... a Nose Tackle  Star-divide.v5e9d7f1

When I think of some of Hampton's more disruptive moments, I think of a playoff game against the Titans following the 2002 season when he drove the center into the backfield so far on a running play, he ran him straight into Eddie George and caused him to fumble. I also think about a play against the Vikings in a game during the 2005 season when Minnesota had the ball near their own goal line, and for some reason, thought it would be sound strategy to only use the center to take on Hampton. Bad idea. Once again, Hampton destroyed the center and forced a safety.

(read more)http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/2/16/2799785/2012-nfl-mock-draft-steelers-position-of-need-nose-tackle-casey-hampton

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

With the 24th Pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers Select... a Nose Tackle  Empty
PostSubject: Re: With the 24th Pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers Select... a Nose Tackle    With the 24th Pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers Select... a Nose Tackle  EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 8:44 am

I honestly believe (maybe it's more like hope), that the Steelers will address the offensive line issues they've had over the last few years.

The team can not continue to piece mail this thing together. It's detrimental to the offensive production as well as Ben's health.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION With the 24th Pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers Select... a Nose Tackle  3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: With the 24th Pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers Select... a Nose Tackle    With the 24th Pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers Select... a Nose Tackle  EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 1:59 pm

I think they should look at ILB and Guard in the first two rounds. The truth is you are not going to get a stud ILB in the later rounds. The Steelers are experts at converting college DEs into OLB, but there's no getting around paying a high draft pick for a the stud in the middle. Thus far, we haven't seen much from Sylvester and I'm concerned we don't have a replacement for Farrior on the team.

As for NT, seems the Steelers like McLendon. It was hard to see if he was taking up two blockers or how well he was doing in the middle. He seemed to do well in certain games, but I couldn't tell if it was 1-1 with the center. If NT is good for 3 or so rounds, IMHO, the Steelers should go with ILB and G first and second, then NT.

Either the author of that blog has a shady memory or he's remembering a different play than I remember. I remember the 2003 playoff game ... Hampton fighting off the center on an off-tackle run play to his right. He hit Eddie George at the line of scrimmage and absolutely earholed him. Not only did George fumble, but it knocked his a$$ out. Here's a snippet from Sports Illustrated post game review ...

"George hadn't fumbled in 240 carries, only to do it twice in less than a quarter to set up two Steelers touchdowns.

The second fumble, following a helmet-to-helmet hit with lineman Casey Hampton on the first play of the second half, knocked George out of the game with a concussion and led to Amos Zereoue's 31-yard touchdown run on the next play."

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: With the 24th Pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers Select... a Nose Tackle    With the 24th Pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers Select... a Nose Tackle  Empty

Back to top Go down

With the 24th Pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers Select... a Nose Tackle
Page 1 of 1