Steelers Xtreme Forum

Home*Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

*Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave

Go down 
+7
Bays
vasteeler
effyou515
ricardisimo
Gingerchip
SteelersYak
Buddha Bus
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

*Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave Empty
PostSubject: *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave   *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 3:45 pm

Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 21, 2012, 9:48 AM EST

Ordinarily, when a team has a good young player who becomes a restricted free agent, that team does what it needs to do and keeps that good young player in the fold. But it’s becoming increasingly clear that Steelers receiver Mike Wallace is not in an ordinary situation.

Wallace becomes a restricted free agent in three weeks, and does so in the first year of the new rules for restricted free agents: A team that wants to sign Wallace away from the Steelers would now only have to forfeit a first-round pick to Pittsburgh, whereas in the past, signing Wallace away would have cost a first-round pick and a third-round pick.

And the Steelers are in a different situation than most teams because the Steelers are in such precarious salary cap shape. Another team with a good restricted free agent like Wallace would put the franchise tag on him, but the Steelers would have to cut a bunch of other players to squeeze the $9.4 million franchise tender under their salary cap.

(Read More:) http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/21/talk-heats-up-in-pittsburgh-that-mike-wallace-could-leave/

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I hate to be a downer, but I think we're going to have to face it that Wallace will be gone. I just don't see us being able to compete for his services with the type of cap hell we're in right now. The best we may be able to hope for is a 1st round pick in the first half of the draft in return for him and that we can strike gold again with another great pick.

It may be time to let him go and focus on Cotchery and possibly Ward coming back to shore up the WR corps. We also have to think about next season and A. Brown's restricted free agent status. I think he's more important to the team at this point than Wallace is anyway.

Last edited by Buddha Bus on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

*Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave Empty
PostSubject: Re: *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave   *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 5:29 pm

With Wallace gone, that means Brown would move to #1. I don't know that he will be as effective as a #1 receiver and it also may limit his KR and PR returning duties.

We lose Wallace, we lose A LOT

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave   *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 6:00 pm

BGSU A Dub wrote:
With Wallace gone, that means Brown would move to #1. I don't know that he will be as effective as a #1 receiver and it also may limit his KR and PR returning duties.

We lose Wallace, we lose A LOT

I already read somewhere that Sanders will be handling the KR/PR duties next season.

Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave   *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 10:07 pm

As "our" Wallace pointed out in another post, I'm not so sure this is the end of the world if we do lose him.

We still have AB and Sanders, they may not have the speed Wallace has, but I think that they are more gutsy players overall.

Just hope he doesn't go to NE or Ratbirds.
Back to top Go down
ricardisimo
Xtreme Newb
ricardisimo

PostSubject: Re: *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave   *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 3:43 am

I think we're fine if he goes. Partly I say that because having the second 1st round pick as compensation all but guarantees a quality guard in this draft, which subsequently all but guarantees better production from Ben, Brown, Sanders and Heath, as well as from the running game. I'm still pushing for a trade up with one of those to get DeCastro, then Osemele in the second.
*Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave 1647293567

Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave   *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 4:27 am

ricardisimo wrote:
I think we're fine if he goes. Partly I say that because having the second 1st round pick as compensation all but guarantees a quality guard in this draft, which subsequently all but guarantees better production from Ben, Brown, Sanders and Heath, as well as from the running game. I'm still pushing for a trade up with one of those to get DeCastro, then Osemele in the second.
*Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave 1647293567

That'd be sweet if we can wrangle some great protection for Ben out of this pick we'd receive. It's well past needing to be addressed.

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave   *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 6:55 am

I was all about keeping Wallace but when Colbert said the draft is deep with WRs and DBs hell let him go and get a first round pick. Hell Colbert might have his eye on a fast WR in this draft.

Get 2 quality o-linemen in the 1st round or a quality o-lineman and a NT in the first round or 2 best player avaliable in the 1st round.

The Steelers could come out in a big way if they hit on 4 players in the first 3 rounds. Like a o-lineman, MLB, CB, and a NT. Maybe the Steelers could find another A. Brown late in this draft.

If we lose Wallace l hope its to a NFC team.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Wallace discusses contract talks with Steelers   *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 4:07 pm

Wallace discusses contract talks with Steelers
By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, February 22, 2012
Last updated: 1:52 pm

Restricted free agent Mike Wallace and the Steelers are working hard to get a deal done before the start of free agency, but the receiver admits that he very well could be with another team next year.

In an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio this afternoon, Wallace said that he would love to stay with the Steelers, but knows that might not be in the best interests of both parties involved.

"(Pittsburgh is) where I would like to be, but we all know that it is a business and you have certain things you have to handle," Wallace said. "So if I have to go elsewhere, you know Pittsburgh will always be in my heart, but I have to do what I have to do."

Wallace said that the Steelers and his agent, Bus Cook, have been in working on a contract extension.

"Yeah, we are talking, but I don`t know how far they are going to get right now because of the situation," Wallace said. "I know that they are working hard trying to take care of it, but I don`t know. We`ll see."

Read more: Wallace discusses contract talks with Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_782952.html#ixzz1n9At4nZK

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The highlighted part tells me all I need to know. *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave 1505004552

It was nice knowing you, Wallace! Good luck and thanks for the contributions. *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave 2000130356

Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave   *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 4:17 pm

ricardisimo wrote:

agreed *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave 184121345

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave   *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 5:44 pm

He's already trying to soften the fans up by the look's of it. Here's to another first round pick! *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave 184121345

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave   *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 5:48 pm

bayz101 wrote:
He's already trying to soften the fans up by the look's of it. Here's to another first round pick! *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave 184121345

I'll have my fingers crossed. *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave 1414754481

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave   *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 6:28 pm

bayz101 wrote:
The only problem is that the first-round pick would be more like a second-round pick. It would come at the end of the first round. I hear people talking like we're going to get a top-15 pick or something. It's still better than nothing, but it's more accurate to look at it like a high second-round pick.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave   *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 6:30 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
bayz101 wrote:
The only problem is that the first-round pick would be more like a second-round pick. It would come at the end of the first round. I hear people talking like we're going to get a top-15 pick or something. It's still better than nothing, but it's more accurate to look at it like a high second-round pick.

Yeah, but considering our history with first round picks regardless of the positioning, it will end up being like a high first round pick. I have faith in Colbert. *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave 184121345

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave   *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 6:32 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
bayz101 wrote:
He's already trying to soften the fans up by the look's of it. Here's to another first round pick! thumbsup

I really hope Colbert know's what he's doing this off-season. We've been addressing our Defensive line for the past few years with Hoof and Heyward, and now it look's like they'll be playing next year. Hopefully he turns to the offensive line this year.

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave   *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 6:34 pm

bayz101 wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
bayz101 wrote:
He's already trying to soften the fans up by the look's of it. Here's to another first round pick! thumbsup

I really hope Colbert know's what he's doing this off-season. We've been addressing our Defensive line for the past few years with Hoof and Heyward, and now it look's like they'll be playing next year. Hopefully he turns to the offensive line this year.

Who the fuck is "Hoof"? *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave 312503953

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave   *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 6:34 pm

I have nothing but complete confidence in Colbert. There's not a GM out there who has done a better job in the past decade or so.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave   *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 6:35 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
Who the fuck is "Hoof"? *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave 312503953
He's probably related to Foote. *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave 2981382511

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave   *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 6:35 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
bayz101 wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
bayz101 wrote:

You'd think, if anything, i'd mispell Ziggy. But noooooo, I mispell "Hood" *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave 2913999526

Bays

PostSubject: Re: *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave   *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 6:36 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
He's probably related to Foote. *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave 2981382511

Alright, that makes sense, now who's related to "Colon"???

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave   *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 6:38 pm

bayz101 wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:

Alright, that makes sense, now who's related to "Colon"???

*Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave Scan0671

Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave   *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 6:41 pm

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave   *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 7:58 pm

I've been browsing some of the fan forums and replies left on news articles regarding Wallace.

Honestly, it seems that most fans are saying "bye bye". Comments such as "he's greedy", "he has a big ego", "performance dropped last season", seem to be the norm.

Also seems like more people are concerned with losing AB next year than Wallace.

Personally, I'm split on this. He's always doubled covered -- he's scared of getting hit. Yet, he is as fast as a gazelle.

Losing him would probably mean keeping Cotch and resigning Ward.

Maybe Wallace really is a one trick pony? I just hate to see him go to the Pats, Ratbirds of 49ers.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave   *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 9:09 pm

Gingerchip wrote:
I've been browsing some of the fan forums and replies left on news articles regarding Wallace.

Honestly, it seems that most fans are saying "bye bye". Comments such as "he's greedy", "he has a big ego", "performance dropped last season", seem to be the norm.

Also seems like more people are concerned with losing AB next year than Wallace.

Personally, I'm split on this. He's always doubled covered -- he's scared of getting hit. Yet, he is as fast as a gazelle.

Losing him would probably mean keeping Cotch and resigning Ward.

Maybe Wallace really is a one trick pony? I just hate to see him go to the Pats, Ratbirds of 49ers.
I never liked the "Young Money" name from the first time I heard it. It told me all I needed to know. We're going to go through the same thing next year with Brown and Sanders, but hopefully, we'll be in a better position cap wise. Ultimately, we're better with both Brown AND Wallace. But if we can keep only one, I'd prefer that it be Brown.

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave   *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 9:38 pm

Bires is convinced that Wallace will be in Black and Gold next season.
I'm convinced that Bires is wrong.
---------------------------------------------------

Bires: Steelers make most dollars, sense for Wallace

By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com |

Throughout Steeler Nation, there's fear that Mike Wallace is ready to move on.

There's growing speculation that a number of teams will try to steal away the speedy wide receiver who's a restricted free agent.

Among the potential buyers are the Patriots, 49ers and Ravens, each championship contenders in the market for an upgrade at wideout. For everyone with a vested interest in the Steelers -- from management down to fans -- Wallace playing for archrival Baltimore is such a painful idea.

And on Wednesday, Wallace himself fueled the uneasiness regarding his future in Pittsburgh during an interview on Sirius Radio.

Although he did say that his "heart is definitely in Pittsburgh," he let it be known that business is business and he'll do what's best for him. If the money is right, he has no problem playing for someone else, even the Ravens.

"I have to do what I have to do," he said.

Well, I don't think Wallace is going anywhere.

READ MORE: http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/bires-steelers-make-most-dollars-sense-for-wallace/article_4b4484aa-4e6d-5629-8552-d76aaa793eca.html

Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave   *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 10:24 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
bayz101 wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:
bayz101 wrote:

*Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave 1549491426 Sumbitch

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave   *Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave Empty

Back to top Go down

*Update* (Wallace within Steelers' reach) Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next