Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeReports: Steelers To Cut Aaron Smith Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Reports: Steelers To Cut Aaron Smith

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Reports: Steelers To Cut Aaron Smith Empty
PostSubject: Reports: Steelers To Cut Aaron Smith   Reports: Steelers To Cut Aaron Smith EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 6:29 pm

Veteran Pittsburgh Defensive End Suffered 3 Season-Ending Injuries
POSTED: 4:36 pm EST March 1, 2012
UPDATED: 5:25 pm EST March 1, 2012

PITTSBURGH -- Aaron Smith, the quiet but sturdy defensive end who has anchored the Steelers' defensive line for more than a decade, will be released by the team, according to an ESPN.com report.

Smith, 35, is in the final year of his contract and due just over $2 million in 2012.

Smith would be the latest veteran casualty for the Steelers after the team announced Wednesday longtime wide receiver Hines Ward won't be back for a 15th season.

The agent for linebacker James Farrior also tweeted Thursday morning that Farrior could soon be leaving Pittsburgh as well.

Since becoming a full-time starter during his second pro season, Smith started 137 regular season games from 2000-08, but injuries limited his last three seasons to a combined 15 games.

Last season, he appeared in just four games before a neck injury placed him on injured reserve.

Read more: http://www.wtae.com/sports/30581739/detail.html#ixzz1nuX8Sjb2

Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Reports: Steelers To Cut Aaron Smith   Reports: Steelers To Cut Aaron Smith EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 6:30 pm

Agent says Steelers parting ways with DE Smith
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, March 1, 2012
Last updated: 5:34 pm

The Steelers have informed Aaron Smith that he will be released, making the veteran defensive end the second franchise great that the team has cut ties with in as many days.

Smith played 13 seasons for the Steelers and established himself as perhaps the standard for 3-4 defensive ends before injuries conspired against him. Smith suffered season-ending injuries four of the last five years.

He played four games in 2011 before a neck injury sidelined him for the rest of the season.

Stout against the run, Smith is also 10th on the Steelers' all-time sacks list with 46.

Read more: Agent says Steelers parting ways with DE Smith - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_784381.html#ixzz1nuXUjmu3

Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: Reports: Steelers To Cut Aaron Smith   Reports: Steelers To Cut Aaron Smith EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 7:18 pm

if they've cut all these guy why not cut Hampton i wonder?

Will he even be ready for the start of the season?

that one didn't make much sense to me but then again nothing makes sense to me Reports: Steelers To Cut Aaron Smith 1797695198

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Reports: Steelers To Cut Aaron Smith   Reports: Steelers To Cut Aaron Smith EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 8:20 pm

I guess when the core has been together this long, it's only a matter of years before they start building a new nucleus.

Aaron Smith we applaud you! Reports: Steelers To Cut Aaron Smith 1647293567

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Reports: Steelers To Cut Aaron Smith 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Reports: Steelers To Cut Aaron Smith   Reports: Steelers To Cut Aaron Smith EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 4:30 am

fer69 wrote:

that one didn't make much sense to me but then again nothing makes sense to me Reports: Steelers To Cut Aaron Smith 1797695198

I don't understand it either. Hampton should have been one of the first ones let go. I guess he's this season's Aaron Smith. Reports: Steelers To Cut Aaron Smith 2087824411

Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Reports: Steelers To Cut Aaron Smith   Reports: Steelers To Cut Aaron Smith EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 7:54 am

Buddha Bus wrote:
fer69 wrote:

I don't understand it either. Hampton should have been one of the first ones let go. I guess he's this season's Aaron Smith. Reports: Steelers To Cut Aaron Smith 2087824411

imo Hampton gets one more year because lack of NTs on the team. Reports: Steelers To Cut Aaron Smith 2087824411
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Reports: Steelers To Cut Aaron Smith   Reports: Steelers To Cut Aaron Smith EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 4:24 pm

effyou515 wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:
fer69 wrote:

imo Hampton gets one more year because lack of NTs on the team. Reports: Steelers To Cut Aaron Smith 2087824411

We've got McClendon who is decent and Ziggy could play there in a pinch with Heyward moving into Smith's spot. We need to draft a DE or NT too.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reports: Steelers To Cut Aaron Smith   Reports: Steelers To Cut Aaron Smith Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1