Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeMemorable Steelers Games: Steelers Beat Browns, Take Over Mexican Bar Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Memorable Steelers Games: Steelers Beat Browns, Take Over Mexican Bar

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
fer69

fer69

Memorable Steelers Games: Steelers Beat Browns, Take Over Mexican Bar Empty
PostSubject: Memorable Steelers Games: Steelers Beat Browns, Take Over Mexican Bar   Memorable Steelers Games: Steelers Beat Browns, Take Over Mexican Bar EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 11:10 am

by Rebecca Rollett

BTSC writers are collaborating on a series highlighting their favorite memories involving Steelers games. Whether these are wins or losses, in this decade or the last, Steelers games mean something different to everyone. Here is an installment in that series. - nc

I’m at a bit of a disadvantage in this series. Unlike my fellow authors and most of you readers I’m not a lifelong fan. In fact, I can tell you exactly how many Steelers games I have watched—53 in all, including the post-season.

My first game ever was certainly noteworthy, because my choir sang on Heinz Field before the game began. It was the final game of the 2008 season, vs. Cleveland at Heinz Field. It was exciting to actually be at the game, but frankly I had no idea whatsoever what was happening, except I knew it wasn’t good when they had to haul Ben Roethlisberger off the field on a cart. (Concussion.) Basically I was cold and mystified, not a great combination.

But there is another Cleveland game indelibly etched on my memory, in a good way—the last regular season game of the 2010 season. The game itself perhaps lacked dramatic tension, because it was one of the few Steelers games I have ever watched in which the outcome was never in doubt. But the experience of watching it was definitely memorable.

I’m not a social person when it comes to football games. I prefer to watch them alone. I didn’t have a TV until I became a Steelers fan, at least not one that functioned as a TV. (We bought a cheap TV for watching videos and disabled the antennae. We didn’t want to have to monitor our children’s television watching. It was sheer laziness.) When I realized I would need some way to watch Steeler games, I bought a gadget to hook up to my computer, which resides in my home office.

That’s where I watch games, under the watchful gaze of my Polamalu Fathead. If someone special and trustworthy is around they are allowed in the office, but they are not allowed to make stupid remarks or attempt to divert my attention from the game. My sons can watch with me when they are in town. Not too many other people have been admitted to the inner sanctum.

But for the Cleveland game there was no choice. I had accompanied my husband to Puerto Vallarta (he had a conference there.) As a towel-waving member of Steeler Nation my first priority upon arriving at our hotel the to suss out a place to watch the game. Fortunately the "Champions Sports Bar" in our hotel was bristling with televisions of all sizes and was willing to put on whatever game you wanted.

Our youngest son, who lives in Mexico, had joined us for several days and was naturally eager to watch the game. About fifteen minutes before the game was scheduled to begin Edmund and I headed for the hotel sports bar. As we entered the bar we could see a couple parked expectantly in front of one of the giant TVs, and we headed their way. It was rather dark, and we couldn’t see the Ravens jerseys they were wearing until we got fairly close. They, in the meantime, had greeted us with enthusiasm, until they noted the hated hypocycloid on my shirt. Seeing their dismay, Edmund stuck his hand out, solemnly shook the hand of Mr. Ravens Fan, and mournfully said "I guess this means we can’t be friends."

(read more) http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/3/20/2885393/steelers-classic-best-games-cleveland-browns

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Memorable Steelers Games: Steelers Beat Browns, Take Over Mexican Bar   Memorable Steelers Games: Steelers Beat Browns, Take Over Mexican Bar EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 11:38 am

Great read. Funny story too.

And I have to agree, there is some enjoyment in watching the Steelers win, and then watching ratbirds fans after a loss.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Memorable Steelers Games: Steelers Beat Browns, Take Over Mexican Bar 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Memorable Steelers Games: Steelers Beat Browns, Take Over Mexican Bar   Memorable Steelers Games: Steelers Beat Browns, Take Over Mexican Bar EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 4:03 pm

Funny story, Fer. Good find! Memorable Steelers Games: Steelers Beat Browns, Take Over Mexican Bar 1647293567

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Memorable Steelers Games: Steelers Beat Browns, Take Over Mexican Bar   Memorable Steelers Games: Steelers Beat Browns, Take Over Mexican Bar Empty

Back to top Go down

Memorable Steelers Games: Steelers Beat Browns, Take Over Mexican Bar
Page 1 of 1