Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeRookie Steelers NT Ta'amu finds a natural mentor in Polamalu Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Rookie Steelers NT Ta'amu finds a natural mentor in Polamalu

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
vasteeler

vasteeler

Rookie Steelers NT Ta'amu finds a natural mentor in Polamalu Empty
PostSubject: Rookie Steelers NT Ta'amu finds a natural mentor in Polamalu   Rookie Steelers NT Ta'amu finds a natural mentor in Polamalu EmptySat May 05, 2012 12:44 pm

Associated Press
Published: May 5, 2012 at 05:48 a.m.

PITTSBURGH -- Alameda Ta'amu's "welcome to the NFL" moment didn't come when the Pittsburgh Steelers selected the massive nose tackle in the fourth round of last week's draft.

Instead it came a little later when All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu -- who like Ta'amu is of Samoan heritage -- buzzed the rookie's cell phone.

"When he called me, I didn't think it was really him," Ta'amu said with a laugh. "But then you know his voice from those Head & Shoulders commercials. I was talking to him and it was crazy."

Polamalu offered Ta'amu a sounding board and someone to lean on as he gets acclimated to life as a professional. As mentors go, Ta'amu could do a lot worse.

The pep talk helped calm Ta'amu's nerves before he joined 39 other newcomers for the team's rookie minicamp this weekend. Sweat beading on his ample forehead, Ta'amu just smiled when asked what it's like to go from college kid to NFL player in six days.

"I was worried that I'd come here and start hitting and it would feel different," Ta'amu said. "I feel pretty good. I feel in football shape."

There are no real teachers at the ready for first-round pick David DeCastro. The All-American guard from Stanford will step in right away to help shore up a sometimes leaky offensive line.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...or-in-polamalu

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Rookie Steelers NT Ta'amu finds a natural mentor in Polamalu   Rookie Steelers NT Ta'amu finds a natural mentor in Polamalu EmptySat May 05, 2012 7:11 pm

vasteeler wrote:

Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Alameda Ta'amu's "welcome to the NFL" moment didn't come when the Pittsburgh Steelers selected the massive nose tackle in the fourth round of last week's draft.

Instead it came a little later when All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu -- who like Ta'amu is of Samoan heritage -- buzzed the rookie's cell phone.

"When he called me, I didn't think it was really him," Ta'amu said with a laugh. "But then you know his voice from those Head & Shoulders commercials. I was talking to him and it was crazy."

Polamalu offered Ta'amu a sounding board and someone to lean on as he gets acclimated to life as a professional. As mentors go, Ta'amu could do a lot worse.

The pep talk helped calm Ta'amu's nerves before he joined 39 other newcomers for the team's rookie minicamp this weekend. Sweat beading on his ample forehead, Ta'amu just smiled when asked what it's like to go from college kid to NFL player in six days.

"I was worried that I'd come here and start hitting and it would feel different," Ta'amu said. "I feel pretty good. I feel in football shape."

There are no real teachers at the ready for first-round pick David DeCastro. The All-American guard from Stanford will step in right away to help shore up a sometimes leaky offensive line.

A what? Sometimes leaky offensive line? Sometimes?
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Rookie Steelers NT Ta'amu finds a natural mentor in Polamalu   Rookie Steelers NT Ta'amu finds a natural mentor in Polamalu EmptySat May 05, 2012 10:26 pm

solardave wrote:
vasteeler wrote:

Associated Press

A what? Sometimes leaky offensive line? Sometimes?

Did someone say leaky? Rookie Steelers NT Ta'amu finds a natural mentor in Polamalu 2967646000

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rookie Steelers NT Ta'amu finds a natural mentor in Polamalu   Rookie Steelers NT Ta'amu finds a natural mentor in Polamalu Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1