Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark

Go down 
+2
Wallace108
effyou515
6 posters
AuthorMessage
effyou515

effyou515

Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark Empty
PostSubject: Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark   Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 10:55 am

By Mark Kaboly

Published: Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Updated 11 hours ago

On the way into the locker room following a recent workout, safety Shamarko Thomas wasn't quite grasping what Troy Polamalu was trying to get across to him.

So, Polamalu stopped, turned to the brick wall leading into the facility and started to diagram it with his finger for the rookie fourth-round pick.

“I have always been willing to teach anybody if they are willing to learn,” Polamalu said. “But a lot of times I pour out too much too soon to a lot of players. It is trying to teach algebra to basic math.”

It's OK, because Polamalu has a teaching assistant to bridge the gaps: Ryan Clark.

Polamalu and Clark, veterans of 10-plus years in the NFL, are thrilled to finally be able to pass their knowledge onto a young, talented and receptive safety and are taking advantage of the situation.

“Troy and I have asked for years for a guy to mentor,” Clark said. “Some players feel like they can play forever. We understand it is not going to be that way. We want to see somebody take it over and do well.”

It's an unselfish act on Clark's part knowing that he's in the final year of a four-year, $14 million contract that he signed in 2010. It's possible that the development of Thomas will make Clark expendable next year. Same goes for Polamalu, who has two years left on the four-year, $36.5 million deal that he signed in 2011.

Even so, it hasn't stopped the teaching.

“It all started the same day I got drafted,” Thomas said. “Troy and Ryan called me and left a message and told me they were going to teach me everything they've learned. I came in here ready to learn. They've made me comfortable.”

Clark said that Thomas' personality and thirst for knowledge have made it enjoyable to pass along tips.

“Obviously, you want to help a guy, but when it is a guy who truly wants to be a sponge ... he is not coming in here with a threatening personality or an attitude like that,” Clark said. “It is about learning and getting better.”

There's a pretty good reason for Thomas' determination to make it.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4198554-74/thomas-clark-polamalu#ixzz2WZzdO2uy
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

this is what i'm talkin about. could be Clark's last year with the team but he's is teaching the young guy and it helps a lot that the young guy wants to learn.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark   Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark EmptyTue Jun 18, 2013 12:47 pm

Coming into the draft, I was more concerned about safety than any other position. We didn't draft a safety as high as I expected and I was a little nervous about it, but so far, I'm loving the addition of Thomas.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark   Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 8:30 am

Thomas seems to have the right mindset so far, but that doesn't mean much this time of season. It'll matter most when it comes time to take what he's learning from Polamalu and Clark and transition to the field.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark   Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 11:26 am

This was a great pick in the 4th round. I was able to catch a few Orangemen games on t.v. last year and it was fun watching this guy. His play is somewhat similar to what the Steelers have Troy doing … lot’s of roaming around and flying to the ball. Carnell Lake was dead-on when he said if Thomas were a few inches taller he would have gone in the 1st round. In the Safety category, he had the top combine scores in the 40, bench, vertical jump, and broad jump (although I’m not a huge fan of Combine stats, getting top scores in 4 of the 5 major categories at least proves he has physical talents). So he doesn’t stand over 6’ tall, but upon last inspection Troy hasn’t had a growth spurt since joining the Steelers.
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark   Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 5:30 pm

what better two to learn from. i hope dude turns out to be great

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark   Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 12:08 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
This was a great pick in the 4th round. I was able to catch a few Orangemen games on t.v. last year and it was fun watching this guy. His play is somewhat similar to what the Steelers have Troy doing … lot’s of roaming around and flying to the ball. Carnell Lake was dead-on when he said if Thomas were a few inches taller he would have gone in the 1st round. In the Safety category, he had the top combine scores in the 40, bench, vertical jump, and broad jump (although I’m not a huge fan of Combine stats, getting top scores in 4 of the 5 major categories at least proves he has physical talents). So he doesn’t stand over 6’ tall, but upon last inspection Troy hasn’t had a growth spurt since joining the Steelers.

this was what I was thinking when the Steelers drafted Thomas. Lake wanted him, about the same size as Troy, might have got a Troy type player in the fourth round.Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark 1647293567
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark   Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 1:19 pm

effyou515 wrote:
kirklandrules wrote:

this was what I was thinking when the Steelers drafted Thomas. Lake wanted him, about the same size as Troy, might have got a Troy type player in the fourth round.Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark 1647293567
Troy is a once-in-a-generation kind of player. If Thomas gives us half of what Troy did, I'll take it.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark   Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 4:12 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Troy is a once-in-a-generation kind of player. If Thomas gives us half of what Troy did, I'll take it.

Now my math may be a little fuzzy, but I'm thinking 1/2 of a Polamalu = 1 starter anywhere else   Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark 2829330259
Back to top Go down
steelerdude15

steelerdude15

PostSubject: Re: Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark   Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 9:04 pm

I'm happy that Thomas is learning from them and I think he could be a great safety. He has the right people to learn from including Dick, Lake, Troy, and Ryan. He also is a very motivated person and is supporting his siblings as well. Gotta get this guy some love and support.

PostSubject: Re: Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark   Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark
Page 1 of 1