Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeTroy Polamalu a surprise attendee at Steelers OTAs Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Troy Polamalu a surprise attendee at Steelers OTAs

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

Troy Polamalu a surprise attendee at Steelers OTAs Empty
PostSubject: Troy Polamalu a surprise attendee at Steelers OTAs   Troy Polamalu a surprise attendee at Steelers OTAs EmptyTue May 22, 2012 6:28 pm

By Marc Sessler
Published: May 22, 2012 at 01:08 p.m. Updated: May 22, 2012 at 04:16 p.m.

After nine outrageously successful seasons in the NFL, Troy Polamalu has earned the right to manage the offseason any way he chooses.

This time around, the All-Pro safety is breaking from his normal program to join the Pittsburgh Steelers for organized team activities. Polamalu, who regularly skipped OTA sessions in past years to work with his Los Angeles-based trainer, was on the field Tuesday for drills.

With a handful of veteran defenders no longer on the roster -- linebacker James Farrior, defensive end Aaron Smith and cornerback William Gay are among the departed -- Polamalu acknowledged the urge to serve as a presence for younger players to turn to, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

"It's my time to be around the team a little more," Polamalu said.

(Read More:) http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82942691/article/troy-polamalu-a-surprise-attendee-at-steelers-otas?module=HP11_content_stream

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is what I was hoping for once we heard Farrior was let go. This defense needs someone to step up and fill the leadership void that Farrior's departure has left and who better equipped with the knowledge, instincts, skills, and reputation than Troy Polamalu? He's the perfect guy to step into the role of "defensive quarterback" and I'm excited that he's chosen to do so. There's nobody better for the job! Troy Polamalu a surprise attendee at Steelers OTAs 184121345 Troy Polamalu a surprise attendee at Steelers OTAs 348340646

Back to top Go down
SteelersYak

SteelersYak

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu a surprise attendee at Steelers OTAs   Troy Polamalu a surprise attendee at Steelers OTAs EmptyTue May 22, 2012 10:42 pm

Being a leader also means we need him to be on the field. No concussions this year Troy! Troy Polamalu a surprise attendee at Steelers OTAs 2672159185

Wallace108

PostSubject: Polamalu leading by example   Troy Polamalu a surprise attendee at Steelers OTAs EmptyWed May 23, 2012 1:09 am

Troy Polamalu a surprise attendee at Steelers OTAs 4fbc332371a0b.preview-300

By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com

PITTSBURGH -- As the Steelers began OTAs, the big news of the day wasn't the absence of Mike Wallace.

It was the presence of Troy Polamalu.

Wallace, the all-star wide receiver, can't work out with the team as he's yet to sign a new contract. But Polamalu saying he'll show up for all 10 of the Steelers' voluntary organized team activities was the top story at team headquarters Tuesday.

Historically, Polamalu has chosen -- with permission from his coaches -- to skip OTAs in favor of working out on his own in California. But there's speculation that coach Mike Tomlin all but demanded that Polamalu attend OTAs this year.

Word is that because of the departure of veterans such as Hines Ward, James Farrior and Aaron Smith, Tomlin wants Polamalu to be more of a leader.

"I didn't say that," Tomlin said when asked if he believes it's important to have Polamalu attending OTAs.

Tomlin then said "It's important for as many people as possible to be here, because we acknowledge that we're building chemistry ... it's a significant part of team-building."

Polamalu, a seven-time Pro Bowler who's 31, gave a simple explanation for choosing to break his off-season tradition in favor of attending OTAs.

"It's my time to be around the team and the guys a little more," he said.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/polamalu-leading-by-example/article_bcf04920-e253-57fb-b5f2-630788bb6ef9.html

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu a surprise attendee at Steelers OTAs   Troy Polamalu a surprise attendee at Steelers OTAs EmptyWed May 23, 2012 4:53 am

This is a good thing. Troy shows that his usual routine is not as important as the "TEAM" setting the prime example for all the D.
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu a surprise attendee at Steelers OTAs   Troy Polamalu a surprise attendee at Steelers OTAs EmptyWed May 23, 2012 8:55 am

Troy Polamalu changes his offseason routine
Posted by Josh Alper on May 23, 2012, 8:27 AM EDT

Steelers safety Troy Polamalu has never been much for the voluntary portion of the offseason calender.

Polamalu usually spends the offseason working out in California, but he decided to change things up this year. With James Farrior, Aaron Smith and Chris Hoke all gone from the team, coach Mike Tomlin told Polamaul that it was important for him to be at Organized Team Activities this week. Polamalu agreed.

“For obvious reasons, we had some major leadership leave, people who we can count on, and I think it is nice for the young guys to see a familiar face,” Polamalu said, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “It is nice to be around the team and nice to get out and play some football. I am here to support all my teammates.”

(Read More:) http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/23/troy-polamalu-changes-his-offseason-routine/

Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu a surprise attendee at Steelers OTAs   Troy Polamalu a surprise attendee at Steelers OTAs EmptyWed May 23, 2012 10:13 am

troy is the freaking man. i wish we could get another 20 years out of him

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Troy Polamalu a surprise attendee at Steelers OTAs   Troy Polamalu a surprise attendee at Steelers OTAs Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1