Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers, Roethlisberger appear comfortable in running no-huddle  Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers, Roethlisberger appear comfortable in running no-huddle

Go down 
+2
Bays
fer69
6 posters
AuthorMessage
fer69

fer69

Steelers, Roethlisberger appear comfortable in running no-huddle  Empty
PostSubject: Steelers, Roethlisberger appear comfortable in running no-huddle    Steelers, Roethlisberger appear comfortable in running no-huddle  EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 7:13 pm

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The most significant change in the new Steelers offense displayed Sunday night in Denver did not come in a more effective running game, better pass protection, more use of the short passing game or the advent of a rookie scatback who can break one at any moment.

The biggest change came in the huddle, or the lack of one. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's use of the no-huddle offense in the second quarter and throughout the second half in the opener signaled what might be the advent of a significant change in the way the Steelers play football on offense.

They have used it previously, most famously to win Super Bowl XLIII, but rarely for an entire half in the opening game in a noisy place on the road the way they did Sunday night. It was mostly effective right up until Roethlisberger threw that pick-6 to Tracy Porter with two minutes left.

"I was comfortable with the no-huddle attack and what we were doing in it," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "Just not enough significant plays made, particularly down the stretch."

At times, Roethlisberger looked more like Peyton Manning than did Manning, running up and down the line, shouting instructions to his teammates, looking at the play clock. If he can do that in the noise and high altitude, it should only be easier to run before the more friendly atmosphere at Heinz Field.

"I thought we did pretty well in a hostile environment," Roethlisberger said. "They were loud, we played a lot of no-huddle. We mixed some things in. We hurt ourselves sometimes on penalties and certain things. Overall, I felt we were happy with the line and the way the guys handled it."

Roethlisberger has pushed for more use of the no-huddle since he landed in Pittsburgh after using it as his primary offense at Miami University. Former coordinator Bruce Arians let him run it on occasion and often talked about using it more, but never quite let Roethlisberger call his own plays for long stretches in games

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-roethlisberger-appear-comfortable-in-running-no-huddle-652738/#ixzz26CpExjdl

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
Bays

Bays

PostSubject: Re: Steelers, Roethlisberger appear comfortable in running no-huddle    Steelers, Roethlisberger appear comfortable in running no-huddle  EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 10:12 pm

They sure do. Too bad we'll never see it unless our ass is in hot water.

Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Steelers, Roethlisberger appear comfortable in running no-huddle    Steelers, Roethlisberger appear comfortable in running no-huddle  EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 3:45 pm

One of the biggest difference makers in Denver:
The Denver coaching staff's recognition that the no huddle was offering success and their willingness to stick to it.

The Steelers staff continues to drag their feet when it comes to the no huddle...Bayz is right, we wait until desperation sets in to pull the no huddle trugger
Back to top Go down
siss
Xtreme Newb

PostSubject: Re: Steelers, Roethlisberger appear comfortable in running no-huddle    Steelers, Roethlisberger appear comfortable in running no-huddle  EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 1:40 pm

the no huddle is to Ben as jelly is to peanut butter!
Back to top Go down
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

PostSubject: Re: Steelers, Roethlisberger appear comfortable in running no-huddle    Steelers, Roethlisberger appear comfortable in running no-huddle  EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 4:58 am

I wish they would use it more but it seems to me like they want those long time consuming drives that eat up the clock.

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Steelers, Roethlisberger appear comfortable in running no-huddle    Steelers, Roethlisberger appear comfortable in running no-huddle  EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 5:53 am

Galax Steeler wrote:
I wish they would use it more but it seems to me like they want those long time consuming drives that eat up the clock.

I'm not so sure that will be the plan for every game. Bruce Arians is gone, and so are the days of the single season game plan. I think we may see the offense come out firing this week considering that the Raiders are down a couple of starting CBs. Todd Haley will form his game plans on a team-to-team basis and use what he thinks are our strengths agasinst the opponents' weaknesses. Look for Ben, Wallace, Brown, and Sanders to have a big day feasting on that weakened Raiders secondary and the no-huddle to be used more.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers, Roethlisberger appear comfortable in running no-huddle    Steelers, Roethlisberger appear comfortable in running no-huddle  Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers, Roethlisberger appear comfortable in running no-huddle
Page 1 of 1