Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeLarry Foote: We aren’t strong mentally Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Larry Foote: We aren’t strong mentally

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Larry Foote: We aren’t strong mentally Empty
PostSubject: Larry Foote: We aren’t strong mentally   Larry Foote: We aren’t strong mentally EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 10:29 am

Posted by Josh Alper

The Steelers blew a seven-point lead in the fourth quarter against a Titans team that made a habit out of getting blown out in the first five weeks of the season.

It’s their third road loss in three road games this season to teams that have gone a combined 2-10 against opponents other than the Steelers. It would be easy to blame injuries for some of the Steelers’ woes as they played without safety Troy Polamalu and linebacker LaMarr Woodley on Thursday while several other players got banged up over the course of the game. Linebacker Larry Foote has a different take on the problem in Pittsburgh, however.

“We’re not strong mentally,” Foote said to Jeff Hathhorn of 93.7 The Fan. “We don’t look like a championship team right now. Everybody here’s been knocked down, everybody’s had doors shut in their face, everybody’s gotten beat.”

At 2-3, there’s plenty of time for the Steelers to get back on track this season. To do so, they’ll need to start looking a bit more like the Steelers teams we’re used to seeing than the one that couldn’t run the ball on the Titans defense and couldn’t stop the Titans offense in the final minutes on Thursday night. Getting healthy would certainly help that cause.

If Foote is right, though, it won’t take care of everything.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/12/larry-foote-we-arent-strong-mentally/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what I've been saying ... our problems are much deeper than just injuries. It starts with the coaches.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Larry Foote: We aren’t strong mentally   Larry Foote: We aren’t strong mentally EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 10:54 am

I would disagree Wally, that it doesn't start with the coaches.

It goes back to the other thread about leadership. It starts with someone willing to step up and take over the voided leadership role on defense. It appears that Ben has finally completely taken over the offensive leadership role - but on defense there is no one saying LISTEN TO ME.

After that, then it goes to the coaches.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Larry Foote: We aren’t strong mentally 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Larry Foote: We aren’t strong mentally   Larry Foote: We aren’t strong mentally EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 11:06 am

stlrtruck wrote:
I would disagree Wally, that it doesn't start with the coaches.

It goes back to the other thread about leadership. It starts with someone willing to step up and take over the voided leadership role on defense. It appears that Ben has finally completely taken over the offensive leadership role - but on defense there is no one saying LISTEN TO ME.

After that, then it goes to the coaches.
I won't disagree with that. I just don't think we can blame it all on injuries. It wasn't injuries that made us decide to attempt a 54-yard field. It wasn't injuries that made us start playing for the field goal as soon as we crossed the 50. I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but I don't think we can blame our struggles solely on injuries. Something else is going wrong.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Larry Foote: We aren’t strong mentally   Larry Foote: We aren’t strong mentally EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 12:52 pm

I agree, there is something definitely not right with this team. And certainly isn't just the injuries. The injuries are just compounding the problem.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Larry Foote: We aren’t strong mentally 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Larry Foote: We aren’t strong mentally   Larry Foote: We aren’t strong mentally EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 1:11 pm

Quote :
It goes back to the other thread about leadership. It starts with someone willing to step up and take over the voided leadership role on defense. It appears that Ben has finally completely taken over the offensive leadership role - but on defense there is no one saying LISTEN TO ME

Larry Foote: We aren’t strong mentally 3964572787

This may not be the greatest analogy, but here goes. So I'm a student with many different professors. Although it is up to me (the player) to study and make the grades, the teacher (leader) has quite a bit of influence as far as motivation. I'm currently taking a class whereby the failure rate is 65%. My professor keeps reminding us daily that although the material is extremely difficult -- it is doable, hang in there, work hard, blah blah blah. Like I said, this may not be the best analogy, but having a teacher that is motivating increases the chance for success instead of a teacher that just lectures and tests. I agree with Truck 100% -- the D needs some major motivating professor.

Larry Foote: We aren’t strong mentally We_bel10
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Larry Foote: We aren’t strong mentally   Larry Foote: We aren’t strong mentally EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 1:18 pm

I had really hoped either Troy would have stepped into a leadership role (hard to do when you can't stay on the damn field Larry Foote: We aren’t strong mentally 2913999526 ) or LaMarr Woodley (but I forgot he has a tendency to start his season later than everyone else).

In the case of Woodley, maybe he can get healthy and go on a tear and start gaining the confidence necessary to slap the shit out of everyone else. It's about that point of the season when he decides it's time to start ratcheting it up and playing for real. If he doesn't become more vocal, I fear for the future of this defense as I see no one else with the combination of ability, track record, veteran presence, bravado, and time left to take over that role.

Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Larry Foote: We aren’t strong mentally   Larry Foote: We aren’t strong mentally EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 11:56 pm

Quote :
In the case of Woodley, maybe he can get healthy and go on a tear and start gaining the confidence necessary to slap the shit out of everyone else.

One would think it would be him. He has a pretty tough mentality. Hope you are right Buddha - maybe he wil evolve into the type of leader the D needs to desperately.

Larry Foote: We aren’t strong mentally We_bel10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Larry Foote: We aren’t strong mentally   Larry Foote: We aren’t strong mentally Empty

Back to top Go down

Larry Foote: We aren’t strong mentally
Page 1 of 1