Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeCook: Defense comes through, at last Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Cook: Defense comes through, at last

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

Cook: Defense comes through, at last Empty
PostSubject: Cook: Defense comes through, at last   Cook: Defense comes through, at last EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 5:02 am

By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

CINCINNATI -- The ball didn't just hang in the night air for what seemed like an eternity. The Steelers' season was right there with it. Both landed softly and safely in the big hands of linebacker LaMarr Woodley. The Steelers couldn't have been more thrilled.

Woodley didn't just make the big play in their 24-17 win against the Cincinnati Bengals Sunday night -- they now live to fight another day in the AFC North Division.

It doesn't do any good to wonder how much better the Steelers defense would have been this season if it had a healthy safety Troy Polamalu and linebacker James Harrison in every game. That is a waste of time. What is worth talking about is the return of Woodley, who missed the dreadful loss to the Tennessee Titans Oct. 11 because of a hamstring injury. He is one of the NFL's most significant difference-makers. The team is so much stronger with him on the field.

The Steelers played a miserable first half against the Bengals and appeared to be on their way to a loss that would have left them in critical condition with a 2-4 record, including 0-4 in the AFC. The Bengals led, 14-6, and were driving at the Cincinnati 45-yard line with 1:30 remaining in the second quarter. That's when Woodley ended up the right man in the right place at the right time, which so often happens to great players.

Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton's first-down pass appeared to slip out of his hand and banged off the helmet of his right guard, Kevin Zeitler. The ball deflected in the air to Woodley, who pulled it in gently at the Cincinnati 40 and rumbled 11 yards to give the Steelers the ball at the Bengals 29. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger quickly turned the opportunity into a 9-yard touchdown pass to tight end Heath Miller and, after Roethlisberger threw to Miller for the 2-point conversion, the score was tied, 14-14.

You could almost see the Paul Brown Stadium crowd squirm. The Steelers had won 10 of the previous 11 games here. The thousands in the stands waving Terrible Towels anticipated the Steelers making it 11 of 12. Bengals fans dreaded it.

An 11-yard touchdown run by Steelers running back Chris Rainey in the first minute of the fourth quarter broke a 17-17 tie and proved to be the winning score. But give the Steelers defense most of the credit for this win.

Much maligned for blowing fourth-quarter leads in four of the first five games, it stopped the Bengals not once, not twice, but three times in the final 14 minutes. It played a superb game after allowing the Bengals to go 80 yards on 15 plays for a touchdown on their opening possession.

I'm thinking Woodley had something to do with that.

Woodley's interception was just the Steelers' third of the season. Who knows how many more they would have if Harrison had been harassing quarterbacks all season and Polamalu had been patrolling the secondary ...

Sorry.

I couldn't help myself.

Time is better spent thinking about what the defense might do in the final 10 games with a healthy Woodley and Harrison rushing the opposing quarterback.

Before Sunday night, they played together for just one quarter this season, against the Philadelphia Eagles Oct. 7. Woodley left that game with his hamstring problem. Harrison missed the first three games with a knee injury.

You can't look at one or the other, Woodley or Harrison. You have to look at both as a tandem. Neither had a sack against the Bengals, who did a nice job containing Harrison. But when Woodley and Harrison are on their game, they can cover for a lot of mistakes by the Steelers secondary, which figures to be without Polamalu for a lot longer.

Woodley's interception was even more valuable than a sack on this gorgeous autumn night. It nullified a series of Steelers' mistakes in the first half. Never has a team been happier to go into halftime tied 14-14.

During a nine-play sequence in the second quarter, wide-open running back Baron Batch dropped what should have been a 29-yard touchdown pass from wide receiver Antonio Brown on a trick play, Roethlisberger threw an interception in the Cincinnati end zone, Brown had a 34-yard punt return wiped out by a holding call on DeMarcus Van Dyke, Roethlisberger was sacked and lost a fumble at the Steelers 8 and Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green beat cornerback Ike Taylor with an inside move for an 8-yard touchdown. Throw in two dropped passes by wide receiver Mike Wallace and two more holding penalties on kick returns by Stevenson Sylvester and Batch and it was obvious, right? The Steelers couldn't play worse.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/cook-defense-comes-through-at-last-658640/#ixzz2A16NWCg3

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Cook: Defense comes through, at last   Cook: Defense comes through, at last EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 9:07 am

They definitely played their best game to date this season. Hopefully it's a foreshadowing of things to come. Maybe they finally get into a defensive rhythm and keep improving and fully solidify with the return of Troy to the secondary. I know we'll need a mistake free performance out of the D next week in NY if we have any chance. That or a mistake filled performance out of the Giants which I don't anticipate.

Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Cook: Defense comes through, at last   Cook: Defense comes through, at last EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 7:22 pm

I may have to ask Wally to add Woodley to my signature pic Cook: Defense comes through, at last 1797695198

I know I feel way better with Wood on the field. Btw, AB has a pretty decent throw!

Cook: Defense comes through, at last We_bel10
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Cook: Defense comes through, at last   Cook: Defense comes through, at last EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 7:41 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
They definitely played their best game to date this season. Hopefully it's a foreshadowing of things to come. Maybe they finally get into a defensive rhythm and keep improving and fully solidify with the return of Troy to the secondary. I know we'll need a mistake free performance out of the D next week in NY if we have any chance. That or a mistake filled performance out of the Giants which I don't anticipate.

i think we play the skins at home this week

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Buddha Bus

Buddha Bus

PostSubject: Re: Cook: Defense comes through, at last   Cook: Defense comes through, at last EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 4:57 pm

vasteeler wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:

Yeah, I figured that out a little while ago. Cook: Defense comes through, at last 1505004552

With the way RGIII has been playing, the same still holds true though. At least we're at home next week.

Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Cook: Defense comes through, at last   Cook: Defense comes through, at last EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 5:07 pm

Buddha Bus wrote:
vasteeler wrote:
Buddha Bus wrote:

Yeah, I figured that out a little while ago. Cook: Defense comes through, at last 1505004552

With the way RGIII has been playing, the same still holds true though. At least we're at home next week.

agreed, our track record against rookie qbs is not that great. fortunately their defense stinks

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cook: Defense comes through, at last   Cook: Defense comes through, at last Empty

Back to top Go down

Cook: Defense comes through, at last
Page 1 of 1