Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeGerry Dulac's Two-Minute Drill: Steelers vs. Giants Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Gerry Dulac's Two-Minute Drill: Steelers vs. Giants

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

Gerry Dulac's Two-Minute Drill: Steelers vs. Giants Empty
PostSubject: Gerry Dulac's Two-Minute Drill: Steelers vs. Giants   Gerry Dulac's Two-Minute Drill: Steelers vs. Giants EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 4:50 am

GAME BALL

goes to: RB Isaac Redman

After missing the previous two games with a high-ankle sprain, Redman returned to rush for a career-high 147 yards on 26 carries and the winning 1-yard TD. What's more, he had five runs of 11 yards or longer, the longest a 28-yarder on the final possession that allowed the Steelers to run out the clock. It was the third consecutive game the Steelers had a 100-yard rusher, the first time they have done that since Willie Parker (2) and Najeh Davenport (1) in December, 2007. "That's just the type of backfield we have," guard Ramon Foster said. "We knew in camp we had a very talented backfield. That's why we kept five guys."

THE COUNTDOWN

A quick look at the top performances from Sunday's game:

1. HOT PLAY: Trailing 20-10 in the fourth quarter, the Steelers started their comeback when WR Mike Wallace caught a quick pass over the line of scrimmage and outraced three defenders -- Corey Webster, Jayron Hosley and Prince Amukamara -- across the field and down the sideline for a 51-yard touchdown to make it 20-17. "I was just trying to get it out of there because I saw that it was zero coverage and I knew the field would be open," Wallace said. "I just wanted to catch the ball and move."

2. SEEING RED: Redman's 1-yard TD gave the Steelers a 24-20 lead with 4:02 remaining, but it was set up two plays earlier when he converted a third-and-2 from the Giants 9 with an 8-yard run. "By the end of the game we're pounding people with the run and they're tired of tackling the running back," Redman said.

3. BIG CONVERSION: The Steelers kept Eli Manning from getting a final chance at victory when Roethlisberger converted a third-and-9 from his 29 with a 16-yard completion to Emmanuel Sanders with 2:23 remaining.

4. BIG STOP: The Giants had first down at the Steelers 4 late in the third quarter, but had to settle for a 23-yard FG that made it 20-10. The biggest play: Ike Taylor and Ryan Clark dumping RB Ahmad Bradshaw for a 3-yard loss on second down.

5. QUICK SCORE: After a missed 51-yard field goal with 31 seconds remaining in the first half, Roethlisberger completed passes of 24 and 23 yards to produce Shaun Suisham's 30-yard FG as time expired to cut the lead to 14-10.
OVERHEARD

"I feel like this is the best win we've had since I've been on the team. We got down early, we had to overcome a lot of penalties, had to overcome a hurricane, we did it all. To come out and win says a lot about this team."

-- Mike Wallace

INSIDE THE NUMBERS
That's how many consecutive games it has been since Eli Manning was held to so few passing yards. He had just 125 yards against the Steelers, his fewest since he had 119 passing yards in the final game of the 2008 season against the Minnesota Vikings.

WHAT WAS HE THINKING?

Mike Tomlin continues to have a great success rate on fourth down and coaching challenges, but his decision to call a fake field goal, trailing 20-17 in the fourth quarter on the road, was inexcusable. The play, an over-the-shoulder flip from holder Drew Butler to K Shaun Suisham, who was snuffed out by CB Michael Coe prevented the Steelers from tying the score after coming back from a 20-10 deficit. "I took a shot and the guys backed my play like I knew they would and I appreciate that," Tomlin said. "They overcome bad coaching decisions sometimes and that's on me."

X's AND O's

Did the officials make the right call when Ben Roethlisberger had the ball knocked from his right hand by DE Osi Umenyiora on a pass attempt -- a play that resulted in a 70-yard fumble return for touchdown by LB Michael Boley? The scoring return gave the Giants a 14-7 lead. Former officials supervisor Mike Pereira tweeted he thought Roethlisberger still had control of the ball when his arm was going forward and it should have been an incomplete pass. "I thought it was absolutely an incomplete pass -- tuck rule," Roethlisberger said.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/gerry-dulacs-two-minute-drill-steelers-vs-giants-660689/#ixzz2BL9zFHU8

Gerry Dulac's Two-Minute Drill: Steelers vs. Giants
Page 1 of 1