Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeBaron Batch: Diary 51 - As Simple as Salt and Pepper Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Baron Batch: Diary 51 - As Simple as Salt and Pepper

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

Baron Batch: Diary 51 - As Simple as Salt and Pepper Empty
PostSubject: Baron Batch: Diary 51 - As Simple as Salt and Pepper   Baron Batch: Diary 51 - As Simple as Salt and Pepper EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 10:46 pm

http://baronbatch.com/2012/12/05/diary-51-as-simple-as-salt-and-pepper/

Quote :
Hey Baron this is Kevin Colbert, give me a call back when you get a chance.”

That was the voicemail I received a few weeks ago on my day off.

Kevin Colbert is the general manager of the Steelers, and rarely is it a good thing to get a call from the GM of the team… especially on an off day.

Knowing the team’s injury situations I knew what the call was. I knew what was about to happen before dialing the number back, so I braced myself for what was coming.

I knew a brotha was about to be fired…and ironically on my day off.

Dang.

I’ve been booted from a few study groups back in college, but have never actually been fired from anything before. Turns out the rumors are all true. Being fired sucks.

“We are going to have to release you. We’ve decided to make a roster move with you to make some room due to injuries, come into my office and Coach Tomlin and I will explain it.”

“Ok I’ll be there in a few minutes.” I replied.

After speaking with Mr. Colbert and Coach Tomlin they explained the situation of me being released. The NFL is a business, and has to be treated as such. Business moves are made everyday. The tricky part is not taking any of those business moves personal, and I definitely understood the business move. Thankfully I had practice squad eligibility left being that I didn’t play last year, and was told that I would be re-signed in a day if I cleared the waiver wire.

After being released players go on the ‘waiver wire’, where they can be picked up by any team for the next 24 hours. And if a team claims you off the waiver wire, and wants to sign you to their active roster you have to go. Its not a good feeling knowing that someone could call you at any point, and all of a sudden you have to start over in a new city.

Not a good feeling at all.

Dang it. I’m unemployed. No health insurance. No paycheck…. help me Obama!

Help me please!

The following day was one of the longest days I’ve experienced in a while. As minutes and hours crawled by I prayed that my phone didn’t ring. Practice squad in a place that I love in my opinion beats a game check. My phone never rang, and later the next day as promised I was resigned to the practice squad.

That was two weeks ago.

The past few weeks have been quite the learning experience. I guess sometimes you cant self evaluate your spirit until you get certain things stripped away from you. For me it was my job. Something I felt I had worked hard for, and deserved more than anything.

Entitlement is a tricky little demon indeed.

Would I have chosen for my job to be what was stripped away? Heck no!

But that sounds about right. I guess that’s the way a child responds when a parent takes something away to prove a point.

Like a little ashy black baby, deep down I was kicking and screaming, soaking up my tears with my poufy afro.

While on the outside I tried to trick God by saying…. “Of course I trust you!”

How typical.

I can only imagine him simply smiling while saying,

“Hmm…just show me.”

I guess the best time to measure trust is when it’s put on display. Yes, sometimes the process can be rough but in the end is always worth it.

And this process is quite familiar to me.

I’m not sure why it always comes as a surprise. I should know what spiritual growth looks like by now.

But I guess if I wasn’t uncomfortable then it wouldn’t be growth. Kind of like when adolescents hit their growth spurts their knees ache…. or something like that.

Gosh my knees are hurting right about now.

Hmmm…. I think I’m growing. I mean my knees have been achy…. maybe they’re growing

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Baron Batch: Diary 51 - As Simple as Salt and Pepper 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Baron Batch: Diary 51 - As Simple as Salt and Pepper   Baron Batch: Diary 51 - As Simple as Salt and Pepper EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 10:47 pm

Personally I like this quote:
Quote :

But try tasting a God given dream covered in trust

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Baron Batch: Diary 51 - As Simple as Salt and Pepper 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Baron Batch: Diary 51 - As Simple as Salt and Pepper   Baron Batch: Diary 51 - As Simple as Salt and Pepper EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 1:08 am

He's got a good head on his shoulders and a great attitude.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baron Batch: Diary 51 - As Simple as Salt and Pepper   Baron Batch: Diary 51 - As Simple as Salt and Pepper Empty

Back to top Go down

Baron Batch: Diary 51 - As Simple as Salt and Pepper
Page 1 of 1