Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWorilds next in Steelers linebacker succession Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Worilds next in Steelers linebacker succession

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Worilds next in Steelers linebacker succession Empty
PostSubject: Worilds next in Steelers linebacker succession   Worilds next in Steelers linebacker succession EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 1:54 am

Quote :
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

PHOENIX -- When he took over as head coach in 2007, Mike Tomlin inherited an immediate crisis in his defense: How to replace Joey Porter, one of the team's all-time sack leaders and inspirational players.

Porter, the right outside linebacker, had just turned 30 and was coming off a season in which he had seven sacks and two interceptions, one for a touchdown, in 14 games. But, because of a nagging knee injury, he was not the same player that the Steelers saw during their 2005 run to the Super Bowl.

Rather than pay him the $6 million he was scheduled to make in 2007, the Steelers released him

But, as Tomlin soon discovered, Porter's loss was the Steelers' gain.

"There was a guy that came in my office that was ready to prove that he was capable of [playing] 900 to 1,000 snaps a year," Tomlin said. "His name was James Harrison. I think if we all knew what James Harrison was capable of, he would have played more than he did before 2007."

Nobody is expecting Jason Worilds to be James Harrison. But, ready or not, he is the heir apparent at right outside linebacker to Harrison, a five-time Pro Bowl selection who was released two weeks with two years remaining on his contract.

Worilds was a No. 2 draft choice in 2009 who has started 10 games and has 10 sacks in three seasons. But Harrison's stats were even more nondescript when he replaced Porter as the starter at right outside linebacker -- eight starts and four sacks in three seasons.

"I believe that Jason Worilds is chomping at the bit to prove he is capable of being that," Tomlin said during a break at the NFL owners meetings that began Monday at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa. "We will see what Worilds is capable of doing."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/worilds-next-in-steelers-linebacker-succession-679908/#ixzz2Nxj0c8AD

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

PostSubject: Re: Worilds next in Steelers linebacker succession   Worilds next in Steelers linebacker succession EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 5:20 am

I still say that Worilds will have a good season he hasn't had the chance to prove that he can play the position.

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Worilds next in Steelers linebacker succession   Worilds next in Steelers linebacker succession EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 8:22 am

Galax Steeler wrote:
I still say that Worilds will have a good season he hasn't had the chance to prove that he can play the position.

Probably because he's had a few injuries and that concerns me.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Worilds next in Steelers linebacker succession 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Worilds next in Steelers linebacker succession   Worilds next in Steelers linebacker succession EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 5:00 am

I don't think we have to worry about Worilds. I have a feeling he will step right in and shine. From what I saw last year when he was filling in for Woodley he showed with time he will be a consistant pass rusher IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Galax Steeler

Galax Steeler

PostSubject: Re: Worilds next in Steelers linebacker succession   Worilds next in Steelers linebacker succession EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 7:30 pm

solardave wrote:
I don't think we have to worry about Worilds. I have a feeling he will step right in and shine. From what I saw last year when he was filling in for Woodley he showed with time he will be a consistant pass rusher IMHO.

I hope you are right I have watched alot of him at VA Tech and he can play ball.

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Worilds next in Steelers linebacker succession   Worilds next in Steelers linebacker succession EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 12:31 pm

I think this is the first off-season where the FA departures combined with the release of several key veterans has me at a distance about our potential for the coming season. I think Worilds can play, but because of his lack of experience and run onf injuries I just don't know how long he can go.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Worilds next in Steelers linebacker succession 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worilds next in Steelers linebacker succession   Worilds next in Steelers linebacker succession Empty

Back to top Go down

Worilds next in Steelers linebacker succession
Page 1 of 1