Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeNo need for Steelers to rush to draft RB Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

No need for Steelers to rush to draft RB

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

No need for Steelers to rush to draft RB Empty
PostSubject: No need for Steelers to rush to draft RB   No need for Steelers to rush to draft RB EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 10:43 am

Quote :
By Tribune-Review

The Steelers' draft-day need for a reliable, consistent and hard-to-tackle running back might be greater than at any time in the past 20 years, yet the nation's very first NFL draftnik thinks the worst thing they could do would be to target a runner on the first day of the draft April 25.

To Mel Kiper Jr., who launched a cottage industry in the late 1970s with his NFL Draft analysis handbook and, later, his ESPN on-air work, the Steelers shouldn't rush to acquire a running back even as they come off their second-worst rushing season in 40 years.

“I'd say every year — I've been saying it for 35 years — you can find running backs at any point in the draft,” Kiper said. “I would never draft a running back in the first round. … It's one position where you can be just as good as a rookie as you'll ever be at any point down the road in your career, even if you come out as a junior.”

To validate his philosophy, Kiper reeled off the names of a half-dozen current NFL backs who were low-round or no-round draft choices, including Alfred Morris, a sixth-round Redskins pick who ran for 1,613 yards as a rookie last season.

Kiper believes there are a number of backs who will be available in the lower rounds who could reinvigorate the Steelers' running game, mentioning Christine Michael, the Texas A&M runner who visited the Steelers last week; Kerwynn Williams of Utah State; Mike James of Miami (Fla.); Cierre Wood of Notre Dame and George Winn of Cincinnati.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3763252-74/steelers-running-yards#ixzz2PmyEintp
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: No need for Steelers to rush to draft RB   No need for Steelers to rush to draft RB EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 2:15 pm

We definetely have more pressing needs than a RB right now. Fix the remaining O-line problems, fix the defensive front 7 problems, fix the secondary problems, fix the WR problems, then maybe we can address the RB problem.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION No need for Steelers to rush to draft RB 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: No need for Steelers to rush to draft RB   No need for Steelers to rush to draft RB EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 7:12 pm

i dont know who they're gonna get BUT they need to nail this draft.

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: No need for Steelers to rush to draft RB   No need for Steelers to rush to draft RB EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 8:04 pm

fer69 wrote:
i dont know who they're gonna get BUT they need to nail this draft.
I think every year we say, "This is the most important draft ever!!"
But this year, it might actually be true. Not only do we need some guys to step in sooner rather than later, but we're also hurting at depth in key positions. We can't afford a bad draft this year. I'm with Truck though ... I don't think running back is a priority. The line is just as much to blame for the poor running game as the backs are. With an improved line, we'll see an improved running game. Also, we have to factor in how badly Tomlin handled the running game last season. He needs to pick his guy and show confidence in him, and not pull him when he fumbles one time. Basically, the running game needs addressed, but not necessarily by using a high draft pick.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
fer69

fer69

PostSubject: Re: No need for Steelers to rush to draft RB   No need for Steelers to rush to draft RB EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 8:42 pm

it'd be huge if we could pick up Bradshaw and rather than using a pick on a RB we could get another OLineman

F@(k Wallace.. Throw it to Miller
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: No need for Steelers to rush to draft RB   No need for Steelers to rush to draft RB EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 8:33 am

Bradshaw is injury prone and has been that way for a few years now. He wouldn't be any better behind our O-line than the group we have now. So until they improve that aspect we don't need a RB who has been prone to injuries.

What we need is a FO and coaching staff focused on developing this team to be a contender, and to do so in a short period of time.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION No need for Steelers to rush to draft RB 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No need for Steelers to rush to draft RB   No need for Steelers to rush to draft RB Empty

Back to top Go down

No need for Steelers to rush to draft RB
Page 1 of 1