Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeUnusual move in NFL draft lands a hard-hitting safety for the Steelers Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Unusual move in NFL draft lands a hard-hitting safety for the Steelers

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Unusual move in NFL draft lands a hard-hitting safety for the Steelers Empty
PostSubject: Unusual move in NFL draft lands a hard-hitting safety for the Steelers   Unusual move in NFL draft lands a hard-hitting safety for the Steelers EmptyFri May 03, 2013 11:43 am

By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

In Shamarko Thomas, the Steelers hope they have found the next Bob Sanders, a compact, powerfully built safety who delivers torpedo-style hits. They hope he is not the next Anthony Smith.

Thomas is a 5-foot-9, 213-pound bundle of speed and unbridled power, and the Steelers thought enough of him to do something they rarely do -- trade away a future draft choice.

And the decision, strangely enough, was based on draft choices they don't have. At least, not right now.

"He's not the biggest kid, but he certainly doesn't play that way," general manager Kevin Colbert said. "He leaves it on the field."

The Steelers needed a safety because they have little depth behind Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark after backups Will Allen and Ryan Mundy signed elsewhere in free agency.

In addition, Clark is 34 and Polamalu could be facing the same situation in 2014 that James Harrison did this year if he doesn't have a more significant impact on the defense. Polamalu missed nine games last season because of injuries and finished with just one interception and no forced fumbles or fumble recoveries.

So the Steelers traded their third-round choice in 2014 to the Cleveland Browns to draft Thomas with the 111th overall selection -- four spots ahead of their own fourth-round choice. It was the first time since 1973 the Steelers traded a future draft choice, but they did it because they expect to get third- and fourth-round compensatory picks in 2014 for Mike Wallace, Rashard Mendenhall and Keenan Lewis.

"We viewed him as valuable as a third-round pick would be," Colbert said.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/unusual-move-lands-a-hard-hitting-safety-for-the-steelers-686063/#ixzz2SFE9L8ON

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Unusual move in NFL draft lands a hard-hitting safety for the Steelers   Unusual move in NFL draft lands a hard-hitting safety for the Steelers EmptyFri May 03, 2013 3:53 pm

I really like this pick if he was 6 foot he might of been a first round pick.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Unusual move in NFL draft lands a hard-hitting safety for the Steelers   Unusual move in NFL draft lands a hard-hitting safety for the Steelers EmptySun May 05, 2013 6:02 am

As long as he doesn't turn into Anthony Smith we should have a solid player.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Unusual move in NFL draft lands a hard-hitting safety for the Steelers   Unusual move in NFL draft lands a hard-hitting safety for the Steelers EmptySun May 05, 2013 10:30 am

solardave wrote:
As long as he doesn't turn into Anthony Smith we should have a solid player.
Anthony is from my hometown, and I played baseball and raced bikes with two of his older brothers, so I've always had a biased perspective of him. But yeah, I get what you're saying.

So far, I love everything I'm hearing about Thomas.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Unusual move in NFL draft lands a hard-hitting safety for the Steelers   Unusual move in NFL draft lands a hard-hitting safety for the Steelers EmptySun May 05, 2013 10:59 am

Quote :
Thomas trying to get a head start

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Defensive backs Coach Carnell Lake was singing the praises of rookie safety Shamarko Thomas after the Steelers drafted him, saying the fourth-rounder the team traded up to get could have been taken in the first round if he were just a few inches taller.

But Lake wasn’t complaining, happy that the 5-9, 217 pound Thomas landed with the Steelers. And Thomas is happy as well.

“There are some people that think I am too short, but I am just happy I am here,” said Thomas. “My ‘too short’ got me here, so I am happy to be a part of Steelers Nation.”

Thomas, who drew praise from second-year pick Le’Veon Bell the moment he was drafted, was also happy that the team thought highly enough of him to trade up for him.

“It definitely reassured me,” said Thomas. “It’s a great opportunity to play for the Steelers, get out here and fly around. I am trying to learn as fast as possible, get a little head start. The veterans already know it, they are already up here. They know it.

“I know that as a rookie, you have to get your feet wet and special teams is a key to making the team.”

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Unusual move in NFL draft lands a hard-hitting safety for the Steelers   Unusual move in NFL draft lands a hard-hitting safety for the Steelers EmptyTue May 07, 2013 1:16 pm

Quote :
Thomas doesn’t lack motivation

By Mark Kaboly

After getting his life headed in the right direction near the end of his high school playing career after “following the wrong crowd,” coupled with a productive freshman year at Syracuse, Shamarko Thomas' dream of playing in the NFL not only seemed attainable, but was all but a sure thing.

That dream quickly changed.

In a nine-month span during his sophomore season at Syracuse, it was no longer a dream but an absolute necessity.

Thomas' mother, Ebeth Shabazz, died suddenly at age 36 of an undiagnosed heart condition nine months after his stepfather, Abdul Shabazz, was killed in a motorcycle crash.

Thomas was just 20 years old at the time. He was thrust into becoming a de facto parent of four younger brothers and a sister — ranging in age from 6 to 16 — in his hometown of Virginia Beach, Va.

“Those are my babies,” Thomas said. “I use my brothers and sister as motivation. I have to take care of them. It's a big motivation.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3971126-74/thomas-steelers-motivation#ixzz2SczbMC7r
While I admire him for the way he's dealt with the tragedies in his life, my first thought when reading this story was: "Great! His top priority is going to be money and we'll never be able to keep him long-term if he becomes the kind of safety everyone seems to think he can become." I hope I'm wrong.

Back to top Go down
steelerdude15

steelerdude15

PostSubject: Re: Unusual move in NFL draft lands a hard-hitting safety for the Steelers   Unusual move in NFL draft lands a hard-hitting safety for the Steelers EmptyThu May 09, 2013 11:29 pm

I like what I've read about him. He seems to have a great attitude and will help out others. I also heard that he had a really good rookie mini-camp.

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Unusual move in NFL draft lands a hard-hitting safety for the Steelers   Unusual move in NFL draft lands a hard-hitting safety for the Steelers EmptyFri May 10, 2013 6:03 pm

I know I mentioned Anthony Smith but I really don't see that here. I lived in Tampa when the Bucs signed Warrick Dunn. His mother was a Police officer in New Orleans moonlighting as a security guard when she was killed. Same story line and I admired the way he handled himself. He actually lived in a $200/week motel his entire rookie season because he was afraid to spend money. He turned out pretty good and I'll be rooting for Mr. Shamarko too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unusual move in NFL draft lands a hard-hitting safety for the Steelers   Unusual move in NFL draft lands a hard-hitting safety for the Steelers Empty

Back to top Go down

Unusual move in NFL draft lands a hard-hitting safety for the Steelers
Page 1 of 1