Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers hope Bell is rookie rarity at RB Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers hope Bell is rookie rarity at RB

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Steelers hope Bell is rookie rarity at RB Empty
PostSubject: Steelers hope Bell is rookie rarity at RB   Steelers hope Bell is rookie rarity at RB EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 10:34 am

By Alan Robinson

Franco Harris is the only running back in the Steelers' 80-year history to rush for at least 1,000 yards as a rookie. That was 41 years ago.

Nobody is rooting harder for a second name to be added to that list than offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

Le'Veon Bell won't be handed a job when the Steelers report to training camp Friday, nor is there any guarantee how many times he'll be handed the ball in the Sept. 8 opener against Tennessee.

But while camp will start with a three-man competition at running back among Bell and holdovers Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman, it could become a one-man competition if the 6-foot-1, 244-pound Bell shows he's everything the Steelers expect him to be.

Namely, big, adequately fast, durable and capable of playing on third down as well as first and second downs.

“I like him — a lot,” NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah said of Bell, the Big Ten's leading rusher last season with 1,793 yards for Michigan State. “What stands out with him is what he can do on third down. And that's unusual because so many of these guys, that's the last thing they can do. But he can play on third down because he can block so well and catch.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4402059-74/bell-steelers-running#ixzz2ZsaI0qJb

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hope Bell is rookie rarity at RB   Steelers hope Bell is rookie rarity at RB EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 10:23 pm

Me two Steelers hope Bell is rookie rarity at RB 1797695198 

Would like to see him hit the ground running. About the playbook, the terminology of the play call. and speed of the pro game. think he has the talent to beat out the other two backs.

Sure would like to see the o-line come together this season with few to no injuries.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hope Bell is rookie rarity at RB   Steelers hope Bell is rookie rarity at RB EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 1:59 am

It's not so hard for RBs. He'll have to wait for the hole to open up and hit it hard. He'll have to improve his blocking skills to pick up blitzes.Catch the ball out of the backfield. I have high hopes for this kid.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hope Bell is rookie rarity at RB   Steelers hope Bell is rookie rarity at RB EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 9:42 am

I don't know much about this kid other than the hype he received on draft day. But as with any player that dons the Steelers uniform, I have great expectations.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Steelers hope Bell is rookie rarity at RB 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hope Bell is rookie rarity at RB   Steelers hope Bell is rookie rarity at RB EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 12:28 pm

Quote :
Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

If Le'Veon Bell keeps progressing like this, no way Tomlin will be able to keep him out of the starting lineup. He's the real deal

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
effyou515

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hope Bell is rookie rarity at RB   Steelers hope Bell is rookie rarity at RB EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 7:45 pm

patience looks like nice fit

By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The outside zone-blocking schemes the Steelers will implement this season require more than just the offensive linemen to be lighter, athletic and able to run to the edge.

The scheme also requires a running back who is patient, has vision and can cut back against the flow. Just like Le'Veon Bell.

Bell, the team's recent No. 2 draft choice, said he ran the stretch play repeatedly at Michigan State and thinks his style is a perfect fit for a zone-blocking scheme.

"You got to be patient," Bell said. "That's what coach [Kirby] Wilson is always teaching me. It's something as a runner I've always been blessed with. I'm a patient-type of runner. A lot of guys look at me and think I'm a big, physical guy, but I'm more patient than anything. That what makes me successful up to this point."

Bell showed how effective he might be in a zone-blocking scheme with one carry Wednesday in the afternoon practice. Bell cut back against the flow on a stretch play and got to the sideline for at least 30 yards before he was tackled out of bounds.

"That's why they drafted me -- to come out here and make some plays," Bell said.

The purpose of the stretch play is to get the defensive linemen and linebackers flowing vertically to the sideline, eventually creating a gap in the defense for the running back to find. The Steelers want to use more of that this season after spending a number of years trying to stop it with Houston's Arian Foster and Baltimore's Ray Rice.

"I ran the stretch a lot at Michigan State," Bell said. "I'm patient on it. I see the defense kind of flowing. It's a great complement to the inside run game. Teams can't just load up the box. We can run outside now. That's when cutbacks happen."

Bell has tried to be a better fit for the zone-blocking system by reporting to training camp at 232 pounds, approximately 10 pounds lighter than his playing weight his senior season in college.

He still feels he has the size and power to run over defenders, which is what Bell did when safety Ryan Clark came into a hole to tackle him during team drills.

"I wanted to be lighter; I feel like I move a little better," Bell said. "I'm still strong, I'm still a big back -- 230 is still big. So I don't feel like I need to be 240. Looking at my film, when I was lighter, I made cuts a lot quicker, I was faster. I feel better around that weight, so I'm going to stay around that weight."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-notebook-zone-blocking-bells-patience-looks-like-nice-fit-697618/#ixzz2alRB3xZl

Steelers hope Bell is rookie rarity at RB 1797695198  Steelers hope Bell is rookie rarity at RB 1797695198  Steelers hope Bell is rookie rarity at RB 1797695198 
Back to top Go down
steelerdude15

steelerdude15

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hope Bell is rookie rarity at RB   Steelers hope Bell is rookie rarity at RB EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 2:09 pm

I have a really good feeling about Bell. I'm excited to see him play and I think he could even start come week one.

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hope Bell is rookie rarity at RB   Steelers hope Bell is rookie rarity at RB EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 11:35 am

Steelers notebook: Bell not grading on curve

Le'Veon Bell must be glad his Michigan State professors weren't so rough in handing out grades.

Asked how he would rate his  Steelers training camp to date, Bell said Sunday, “I'll give myself a 5 or a 6” on a 10 scale.

“I've got so much room for improvement,” Bell said. “The game's still coming to me and still slowing down for me. I've got a lot of work to do. As long as I keep working and progressing as a player, I should be fine.”

Bell's power running has been one of the Steelers camp highlights to date; he returned to work after sitting out Saturday with a minor knee issue. But offensive coordinator Todd Haley said the decision on whether Bell, Isaac Redman or Jonathan Dwyer will open the season as the starter won't be made soon.

“Until we get into games and give everybody a shot to see what they're capable of, I don't think there's any need to hurry to make the decision,” Haley said. “The good thing is we've got three guys and they know what to do, we know what they are and they came in ready to compete. … You've got to try to figure out what they can be.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4447782-74/bell-camp-season#ixzz2b6q6Rqmd
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers hope Bell is rookie rarity at RB   Steelers hope Bell is rookie rarity at RB Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers hope Bell is rookie rarity at RB
Page 1 of 1