Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeWheaton playing catch-up as Steelers camp begins Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Wheaton playing catch-up as Steelers camp begins

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Wheaton playing catch-up as Steelers camp begins Empty
PostSubject: Wheaton playing catch-up as Steelers camp begins   Wheaton playing catch-up as Steelers camp begins EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 11:48 am

Wheaton playing catch-up as Steelers camp begins Markus-Wheaton

LATROBE, Pa. (AP) The practice field at Saint Vincent College is long deserted. The veterans on the Pittsburgh Steelers have already showered for dinner, and the rest of the rookies and the last-chancers are close on their heels.

Markus Wheaton, however, is just getting started. Standing near the corner of the end zone, Wheaton spends 15 minutes catching passes off a machine, clapping his hands together when the ball buzzes through his gloves and onto the artificial turf.

NCAA rules cost the third-round draft pick out of Oregon State a chance to make a first impression. Instead, Wheaton will settle for making a lasting one.

The player tasked with providing the speed lost by the Steelers when Mike Wallace took his fast feet to Miami finds himself playing catch-up. The trimester system used at Oregon State didn't end until after the completion of organized team activities and minicamp.

NCAA bylaws prevent players from practicing with professionals until their academic year is over.

While the rest of Pittsburgh's rookies got a feel for their new job, Wheaton was 2,600 miles away getting near daily missives from Steelers wide receivers coach Richard Mann and relying on Oregon State quarterbacks Sean Mannion and Cody Vaz to serve the role of Ben Roethlisberger.

Ideal? Hardly. For all the hard work he put in, Wheaton admitted to more than the typical jitters when he arrived at training camp Friday.

''I felt like I was behind because I missed that camp,'' Wheaton said. ''But really, we all start from scratch. Mentally they're teaching (the offense) as if no one knows it.''

Wheaton hardly appeared behind while joining his teammates for the first day of practice, drawing praise from coach Mike Tomlin after Wheaton sprinted through a sea of defenders to make a fingertip grab during a seven-on-seven drill.

''I like that urgency,'' Tomlin shouted.

READ MORE: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Markus-Wheaton-playing-catchup-as-Steelers-begin-41617962

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
steelerdude15

steelerdude15

PostSubject: Re: Wheaton playing catch-up as Steelers camp begins   Wheaton playing catch-up as Steelers camp begins EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 11:35 pm

He's going to be playing multiple positions this year from what I understand. I think we'll see some trick plays involving him throughout the year.

effyou515

PostSubject: Re: Wheaton playing catch-up as Steelers camp begins   Wheaton playing catch-up as Steelers camp begins EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 12:08 am

catch up would that be Heinz ketchup?Wheaton playing catch-up as Steelers camp begins 1797695198 

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Wheaton playing catch-up as Steelers camp begins   Wheaton playing catch-up as Steelers camp begins EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 12:35 am

So far, Wheaton seems to remind me a little of Antonio. That's not a bad thing.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Wheaton playing catch-up as Steelers camp begins   Wheaton playing catch-up as Steelers camp begins EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 1:23 am

Wallace108 wrote:

He's a little taller though,isn't he? So far he seems to have a good work ethic. Hope it translates to the field.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Wheaton playing catch-up as Steelers camp begins   Wheaton playing catch-up as Steelers camp begins EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 7:42 am

solardave wrote:
Wallace108 wrote:

He's a little taller though,isn't he? So far he seems to have a good work ethic. Hope it translates to the field.
Just looked it up ... according to nfl.com, Wheaton is an inch taller and a few pounds heavier, so they're about the same size physically. I didn't realize they were that similar physically. I was talking mainly about the similarities in their attitudes. Just like Antonio, Wheaton seems to have all the tools plus the right frame of mind, so hopefully we already have a replacement for Sanders if he bolts after this season.

Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Wheaton playing catch-up as Steelers camp begins   Wheaton playing catch-up as Steelers camp begins EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 9:20 am

I think this kid is going to be an impact player out the gate. Watching his college reels is impressive...

steelerdude15

steelerdude15

PostSubject: Re: Wheaton playing catch-up as Steelers camp begins   Wheaton playing catch-up as Steelers camp begins EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 6:15 pm

Drizztbob wrote:
I think this kid is going to be an impact player out the gate.  Watching his college reels is impressive...

I just watched a video on him and he looks really good. I think he'll be an impact player as well. He could be our secret weapon on offense.

PostSubject: Re: Wheaton playing catch-up as Steelers camp begins   Wheaton playing catch-up as Steelers camp begins Empty

Back to top Go down

Wheaton playing catch-up as Steelers camp begins
Page 1 of 1