Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers rookie receiver Wheaton proving to be a ‘quick’ study Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers rookie receiver Wheaton proving to be a ‘quick’ study

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
effyou515

effyou515

Steelers rookie receiver Wheaton proving to be a ‘quick’ study Empty
PostSubject: Steelers rookie receiver Wheaton proving to be a ‘quick’ study   Steelers rookie receiver Wheaton proving to be a ‘quick’ study EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 7:28 am

By Alan Robinson

Published: Monday, August 5, 2013, 8:36 p.m.
Updated 7 hours ago

Perhaps it's no surprise that a player with 4.3 speed in the 40-yard dash didn't need much time to catch up with everyone else at training camp.

Wide receiver Markus Wheaton couldn't take part in the  Steelers' spring practices because alma mater Oregon State was holding class Since he arrived at camp, though, everything has been a blur.

Especially the player wearing No. 11, one who is expected to ramp up the Steelers' overall team speed much like Mike Wallace did the last four seasons.

“He's going to be in a group with the fastest (NFL receivers),” wide receivers coach Richard Mann said Monday. “I don't know if he's going to be the fastest, but he'll be there. And what I like is he's got that quick twitch.”

Quick twitch isn't a football phrase but a medical term that refers to muscle fiber that contracts rapidly, especially during actions that require maximum effort for short periods. Such as running a 50-yard pass pattern rapidly. Such as running it the way Wheaton does.

Wheaton already has made some impressive catches during camp — he's working mostly as the slot receiver, or the No. 3 receiver — despite missing those May and June workouts.

“This kid is a smart guy who has made up a lot of the gap,” offensive coordinator Todd Haley said. “At the time, I felt he was way behind. Now that he's here, I think he's done a great job with Coach Mann of getting up to speed so he can compete.”

Mann talked often with Wheaton, teaching him via long distance the basics of the Steelers' offense.

“I just think he's a smart kid,” Mann said. “He came here and did what he had to do to catch up. We're in the process of him learning how to do it as opposed to telling him how to do it.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/4480526-74/wheaton-mann-receiver#ixzz2bBeMOkkw
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Who going to double cover? Brown or Wheaton?

What I like about Wheaton, he's going to be able burn you deep and I believe he can run the short routes and get some RAC yardage.

And once again the truth is found
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers rookie receiver Wheaton proving to be a ‘quick’ study   Steelers rookie receiver Wheaton proving to be a ‘quick’ study EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 9:19 am

Mike who?

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Steelers rookie receiver Wheaton proving to be a ‘quick’ study 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
vasteeler

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Steelers rookie receiver Wheaton proving to be a ‘quick’ study   Steelers rookie receiver Wheaton proving to be a ‘quick’ study EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 11:29 am

stlrtruck wrote:
Mike who?

thats exactly what i was going to ask

it appears as if we are loaded again at the wide receiver possition

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Steelers rookie receiver Wheaton proving to be a ‘quick’ study   Steelers rookie receiver Wheaton proving to be a ‘quick’ study EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 1:15 am

stlrtruck wrote:
Mike who?

Mike Wallace sied,remember?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers rookie receiver Wheaton proving to be a ‘quick’ study   Steelers rookie receiver Wheaton proving to be a ‘quick’ study Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers rookie receiver Wheaton proving to be a ‘quick’ study
Page 1 of 1