Steelers Xtreme Forum

Home Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL

Go down 
+11
stlrtruck
IowaSteeler927
Master_Of_Puppets
steelerdude15
vasteeler
BlackAndGold
SteelCityUnderground
FrancoLambert
El-Gonzo Jackson
solardave
Wallace108
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL Empty
PostSubject: Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL    Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL EmptyWed Jul 13, 2016 12:24 am

By Alex Kozora

Up goes the article, up goes the pitchforks. The Pittsburgh Steelers ranked 18th in a statistical model created by a professor from Emory University, ranking all fan bases in the NFL.

Maybe the craziest thing is that the creator doubts his own results.

The methodology, as Professor Mike Lewis explains, comes in two forms.

“This year I have come up with a new method that combines these two measures: Dynamic Fan Equity (DFE). The DFE measure leverages the best features of the two measures. Fan Equity is based on the most important consumer trait – willingness to spend. Social Equity captures fan support that occurs beyond the walls of the stadium and skews towards a younger demographic. The key insight that allows for the two measures to be combined is that there is a significant relationship between the Social Media Equitytrend and the Fan Equity measure. Social media performance turns out to be a strong leading indicator for financial performance.”

In layman’s terms, fan bases are judged on the money they spend and the social media outreach they extend. Off those metrics, according to Lewis, the Steelers finished below average. He made special note of this in his analysis, calling into question what his model spit out.

“The one result that gives me the most doubt is for the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Steelers have long been considered one of the league premier teams and brands.”

READ MORE: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/07/study-ranks-steelers-fan-base-18th-nfl/

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL    Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL EmptyWed Jul 13, 2016 3:50 am

We all know better. 18th pfffft. Do it the old fashioned way by poll. I've lived in Maryland,Pa,Fl and Tx and have found tons of fans everywhere I've lived.

Once I went to a Bucaneers/Steelers game in Tampa and Vinnie Testaverde had to call a time out because his o-line could not hear him. I know it was Tampa during the Culverhouse ownership but still. We out numbered Bucs fans that day in their stadium.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL    Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL EmptyWed Jul 13, 2016 9:28 am

The study judges fanbases on economics and social media. Two of the foundations of what being a football fan is built on.  Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL 2800024739

So if they struck oil in your backyard and you love twitter and facebook, you are the worlds best football fan.  Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL 1505004552
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL    Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL EmptyWed Jul 13, 2016 9:31 am

Last year, watching Steeler fans in Buffalo showing up for the Bills-Jets game that had playoff implications decked out in jerseys and waving Terrible Towels says it all about Steeler fans.   Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL 792589548

The professor needs to recheck his data.
Back to top Go down
SteelCityUnderground

SteelCityUnderground

PostSubject: Re: Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL    Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL EmptyWed Jul 13, 2016 4:15 pm

Here's the full study rather than a few pulled quotes, for those interested: https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/esma/2016/06/28/the-best-nfl-fans-2016-the-dynamic-fan-equity-methodology/

On a similar note, I put out a podcast earlier this week, asking if our fanbase was oversensitive to rankings like this, i.e. where our players, etc. aren't ranked THE ABSOLUTE BEST.

The answer is more complicated, but no doubt, we are a spoiled bunch.  Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL 1645253483  Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL 1645253483

http://steelcityunderground.com
BlackAndGold

BlackAndGold

PostSubject: Re: Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL    Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL EmptyWed Jul 13, 2016 6:55 pm

This study sucks. Using Social media is dumb, there is countless bandwagon fans, many that follow multiple teams.

The Panthers are rated higher, which is laughable. Let them host the Steelers and watch the colors of Black & Gold out show Carolina Blue.

Chargers also? I remember their home game looked like a Steelers home game last year.

vasteeler

PostSubject: Re: Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL    Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL EmptyWed Jul 13, 2016 7:07 pm

18th!!  Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL 3410998299

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead." - Butch
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL    Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL EmptyWed Jul 13, 2016 7:11 pm

If they'd fire Haley, they'd probably move up about 17 spots.  Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL 3121608646

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
steelerdude15

steelerdude15

PostSubject: Re: Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL    Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL EmptyWed Jul 13, 2016 7:20 pm

Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL 2087824411 Doesn't matter to me where we're placed.

Master_Of_Puppets

PostSubject: Re: Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL    Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL EmptyThu Jul 14, 2016 12:48 am

so the sum of a "true" fan is now based on how much NFL merchandise you purchase ?
i've come across countless people wearing raiders gear only to find out they weren't really raider fans at all ,or even nfl fans for that matter. they just thought the logo made them look "cool".
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL    Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL EmptyThu Jul 14, 2016 1:29 am

Wallace108 wrote:
If they'd fire Haley, they'd probably move up about 17 spots.  Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL 3121608646

Crash, is that you?  Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL 1797695198

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
solardave

solardave

PostSubject: Re: Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL    Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL EmptyThu Jul 14, 2016 4:08 am

Wallace108 wrote:

And Tomlin. Then BEG BA to jump ship and get us back on track.  Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL 294855916 He would hire Crash as his OC bad knees and all.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL    Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL EmptyThu Jul 14, 2016 9:14 am

Master_Of_Puppets wrote:
so the sum of a "true" fan is now based on how much NFL merchandise you purchase ?  
i've come across countless people wearing raiders gear only to find out they weren't really raider fans at all ,or even nfl fans for that matter.  they just thought the logo made them look "cool".

That is why the ranking doesn't make sense to a lot of us that have been fans thru the good and bad times. Are the Chiefs really #30 and Seahawks #13? I'd have to bet that Chiefs fans are likely more knowledgeable and passionate about their team than the vast majority of Seahawk fans that jumped on the bandwagon the past 5 years.
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL    Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL EmptyThu Jul 14, 2016 10:15 am

it's not the first time it's happened, it won't be the last...

BUT....

we all know better.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION  Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Stryker

Stryker

PostSubject: Re: Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL    Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL EmptyThu Jul 14, 2016 5:32 pm

I blame Crash for our ranking.

"It was time to go to the mattresses if you will" - Mike Tomlin

The worst tragedy in the world is running out of a pack of Luckies
Back to top Go down
IowaSteeler927

IowaSteeler927

PostSubject: Re: Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL    Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL EmptyFri Jul 15, 2016 7:38 am

Pittsburgh @ KC in November 2011. Basically a Steelers home game, Tyler Palko and the Chiefs were not a very good football team then, so that didn't help the Chiefs set any attendance records but it was  really a good showing from Steeler Nation in the Midwest. Lot of fellow Iowan Steelers fans at the game. Just from what I see in the midwest alone this team and it's fans travel like no other. I'd never even seen a Seahawks fan in Iowa for most of my life, in fact I never saw someone wearing Seahawks colors until they won the Super Bowl. I've seen one Cardinals fan, of course that was 2009 when we beat them in the Superbowl. I see the occasional Dolphins fan, Colts fans, and Raiders fans. But honestly it's understandably a ton of Packers, Chiefs, Vikings, and Bears fans that I see. Outside of that, the most fans I see of any team other than the aforementioned Midwestern teams is the Steelers. We even have a Des Moines Steelers Fan Club here in Iowa.

So being ranked 18th... That's just silly.  

On another note. One funny thing about this game... Bruce Arians unstoppable offense put up a whopping 13 points and if it were not for a stellar defensive performance, and Tyler Palko's interceptions, we'd of probably lost to one of the worst teams in the NFL that season. So suck it Crash. Arians had Hines Ward, Emmanuel Sanders, and Antonio Brown at his disposal and his offensive genius accounted for 13 entire points all of which were scored in the 2nd Quarter.

Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL 309885_10150502518322329_800870230_n_zpsespfzvxg

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGLM8goxBzHK5YBJBS9uaQ
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL    Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL EmptyFri Jul 15, 2016 8:49 am

IowaSteeler927 wrote:
Pittsburgh @ KC in November 2011. Basically a Steelers home game, Tyler Palko and the Chiefs were not a very good football team then, so that didn't help the Chiefs set any attendance records but it was  really a good showing from Steeler Nation in the Midwest. Lot of fellow Iowan Steelers fans at the game. Just from what I see in the midwest alone this team and it's fans travel like no other. I'd never even seen a Seahawks fan in Iowa for most of my life, in fact I never saw someone wearing Seahawks colors until they won the Super Bowl. I've seen one Cardinals fan, of course that was 2009 when we beat them in the Superbowl. I see the occasional Dolphins fan, Colts fans, and Raiders fans. But honestly it's understandably a ton of Packers, Chiefs, Vikings, and Bears fans that I see. Outside of that, the most fans I see of any team other than the aforementioned Midwestern teams is the Steelers. We even have a Des Moines Steelers Fan Club here in Iowa.

So being ranked 18th... That's just silly.  

On another note. One funny thing about this game... Bruce Arians unstoppable offense put up a whopping 13 points and if it were not for a stellar defensive performance, and Tyler Palko's interceptions, we'd of probably lost to one of the worst teams in the NFL that season. So suck it Crash. Arians had Hines Ward, Emmanuel Sanders, and Antonio Brown at his disposal and his offensive genius accounted for 13 entire points all of which were scored in the 2nd Quarter.

Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL 309885_10150502518322329_800870230_n_zpsespfzvxg

"But Arians only did what the fans wanted him to do" confused
Back to top Go down
Mach1
Quest For Seven
Mach1

PostSubject: Re: Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL    Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL EmptySat Jul 16, 2016 4:04 am

Wallace108 wrote:
By Alex Kozora

Up goes the article, up goes the pitchforks. The Pittsburgh Steelers ranked 18th in a statistical model created by a professor from Emory University, ranking all fan bases in the NFL.

Maybe the craziest thing is that the creator doubts his own results.

The methodology, as Professor Mike Lewis explains, comes in two forms.

“This year I have come up with a new method that combines these two measures: Dynamic Fan Equity (DFE).  The DFE measure leverages the best features of the two measures.  Fan Equity is based on the most important consumer trait – willingness to spend.  Social Equity captures fan support that occurs beyond the walls of the stadium and skews towards a younger demographic.  The key insight that allows for the two measures to be combined is that there is a significant relationship between the Social Media Equitytrend and the Fan Equity measure.  Social media performance turns out to be a strong leading indicator for financial performance.”

In layman’s terms, fan bases are judged on the money they spend and the social media outreach they extend. Off those metrics, according to Lewis, the Steelers finished below average. He made special note of this in his analysis, calling into question what his model spit out.

“The one result that gives me the most doubt is for the Pittsburgh Steelers.  The Steelers have long been considered one of the league premier teams and brands.”

READ MORE: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/07/study-ranks-steelers-fan-base-18th-nfl/

Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL 382d75de7555ae483b5d5755d0262436ce35e1019d001401c3cc4a370f4c8aed

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Back to top Go down
DesertSteel

DesertSteel

PostSubject: Re: Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL    Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL EmptyMon Jul 18, 2016 8:39 pm

The biggest myth is how well the Steelers fans travel. This conclusion is reached by how many Steelers fans there are at away games. "Boy, those Steelers fans sure do travel well" they say. What they fail to realize is that most of those Steelers fans live in those away cities. We are everywhere. This is STEELER NATION!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL    Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL Empty

Back to top Go down

Study Ranks Steelers’ Fan Base 18th In NFL
Page 1 of 1