Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeGame Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans)

Go down 
+4
Gingerchip
steelersfan87
steelerdude15
Wallace108
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) Empty
PostSubject: Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans)   Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 9:08 pm

This isn't an exhaustive list, just off the top of my head. I just don't have the ambition to put too much thought into that poor excuse for a game.

Game Balls

A. Brown and Cotchery: More than probably any other players wearing Black and Gold, they came to play and played well. Too bad they didn't get much support.

Kelvin Beachum: A seventh-round pick with not a lot of experience being asked to play out of position. He came in for Pouncey and played rather well. Not great, but admirably.

Special teams: No, they didn't do anything great ... or even good. But they didn't totally crap the bed like in preseason. They were the only unit that showed even the slightest improvement from the effort seen in an 0-4 preseason.

The Ravens, Bengals, and Browns: Hey, we're still tied for first place! There's not a lot of positive that can be taken away from an embarrassing loss, but at least we're not in the basement right out of the gate.

Goats

I could save time by just labeling the entire team a Goat, but I'll single out a few players and coaches ...

Offensive line: Even before Pouncey got injured, the line looked like crap. Redman was getting hit as soon as he got the ball. Perhaps we should have kept Starks.

E. Sanders: He made some plays, so I hate to give him a goat, but he dropped two passes ... an easy one and one on the first offensive play of the game that would have gone for a big gain. Two drops in one game ... I thought that wasn't supposed to happen anymore. Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) 2829330259 

Todd Haley: OK, did I miss Haley getting fired and being replaced by Arians? Now I see why Ben has been so happy with the revamped offense ... it's basically the same offense they were running under Arians. No fullback. Screen passes on 3rd and 11. Shotgun and empty backfield on 3rd and short. It was an offense we've come to know, and the results were recognizable ... failure in the red zone, failure to protect Ben, and an inability to run the ball. I'm not sure I like the agreeable, laid-back, compromising Haley. I want the Haley we thought we were getting.

Redman: Like with Sanders, I really don't want to give him a Goat. It's hard to run when the line isn't creating any holes, and the first fumble can be attributed to Ben. But the second fumble was all on Redman, and given the circumstance of having a young buck ready to take his job, he didn't run with any sense of urgency. I just didn't see the kind of effort I expected. Like I said, the line is mostly to blame, but I want to see some grit.

Coaching staff: I read all during camp about how focused and hungry this team was. Well, I certainly didn't see it in this game. That's on the coaching staff. All of them.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
steelerdude15

steelerdude15

PostSubject: Re: Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans)   Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 9:56 pm

Game balls: Jerricho and our new punter Zoltan. I felt that Jerricho did a great job catching the ball and fighting for extra yards today and Zoltan did a great job punting the ball. I definitely think he's an upgrade compared to Drew Butler.

Game Goats: Issac for just being awful today and of course the two fumbles (even though the first fumble could also be attributed to Ben for handing it off too high), David for taking out Maurkice. I understand he was trying to block the defender, but go for the defender instead of your own person next time, and finally the defense for not being able to stop the Titans for pretty much the entire game and for also not being to stop the Titans from converting on third down time after time.

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans)   Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 10:42 pm

steelerdude15 wrote:
Game Goats: Issac for just being awful today and of course the two fumbles (even though the first fumble could also be attributed to Ben for handing it off too high), David for taking out Maurkice. I understand he was trying to block the defender, but go for the defender instead of your own person next time, and finally the defense for not being able to stop the Titans for pretty much the entire game and for also not being to stop the Titans from converting on third down time after time.
I forgot to include DeCastro. Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) 294855916 

It almost looked like he purposely dove at Pouncey's knee. I honestly have no idea what the heck he was trying to do on that play. It reminded me of a pro wrestling tag-team match when a wrestler gets temporarily blinded by something, takes a swing and accidentally knocks out his own partner, and has no idea what happened.

That one play pretty much sums up the entire game.

Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) Pounce10

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans)   Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 12:24 am

I want to give an additional Game Ball to William Gay. He made two nice plays and tipped two balls up in the air. On any other defense, both of those balls would have been intercepted. But I'm fairly certain there's a rule against the Steelers defense intercepting passes.

Back to top Go down
steelersfan87

PostSubject: Re: Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans)   Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 2:38 am

I just remembered why I stopped posting at SF during the season: too many people, and a lot of them are too reactionary for my tastes. I prefer this smaller, more even-tempered community particularly for during the season and during the down times.
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans)   Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 2:39 am

Goats:  The Steelers and some Steeler fans.  Many fans on different forums planning to boycott games.  Way to go guys, fairweathered fans at their best.  DeCastro DID look like he hit Pouncey on purpose -- wtf was he thinking????

Gameballs:  Cotch and AB.  Our defense which although not super spectacular, kept us from getting blown out.

And that's all I have to say about that (ohhh and bring back Ward AND Farrior) Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) 1797695198 

Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) We_bel10
Back to top Go down
SteelHawk
Xtreme Newb
SteelHawk

PostSubject: Re: Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans)   Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 2:55 am

I don't think I can give a game ball to anyone after that kind of loss. That was a team loss. They've got a lot of work ahead of them but I have zero doubt they'll right the ship.

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans)   Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 8:02 am

Someone paid Decastro to put a hit on Pouncey. I mean thats the only believable answer right?? Who cut blocks by supermaning headfirst with your head down while your teammate is maintaining his assignment??? Did he think he would take the legs out from under an already wrapped up defender? F'ing idiot.

Blunder after blunder. 1 step forward equals 3 steps back all day. Tell me again that your pre-season record doesn't mean anything and I'll show you tape of this game.

Ready for the good news?? After we go 6-10 this year, the ENTIRE coaching staff is getting revamped.

Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans)   Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 10:58 am

Interesting. Take a look at both DeCastro and Gilbert on the play where Pouncey was injured. Anyone notice anything?

Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) 807240374

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans)   Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 11:10 am

Dodens Grav wrote:
I just remembered why I stopped posting at SF during the season: too many people, and a lot of them are too reactionary for my tastes. I prefer this smaller, more even-tempered community particularly for during the season and during the down times.
We're cool like that. Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) 1797695198 

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans)   Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 12:19 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
Interesting. Take a look at both DeCastro and Gilbert on the play where Pouncey was injured. Anyone notice anything?

Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) 807240374
DeCastro is awesome and I’m glad he’s a Steeler. The result of that play is the unfortunately side-effect of the zone-blocking scheme. And I suspect it is also the reason the Steelers organization took so long to adopt it (they’ve openly complained about this technique in the past as being dangerous to the defenders’ health) .

Take a good look at the video clip of the play where Pouncey is injured (keep in mind this is in slow motion). Here’s what happened:

Just before DeCastro makes his diving motion, the expectation is that Pouncey disengages contact with the D-lineman and blocks the middle linebacker. DeCastro is supposed to cut the legs from the D-lineman Pouncey has initial contact with to prevent backside pursuit. Note that if Pouncey is able to get a block on that middle linebacker and DeCastro cuts the D-lineman, there should be a hole for Redman. DeCastro’s block on this D-lineman should have looked similar, if not more effective, to the block Gilbert attempted (just to the right).

So how does this play end in disaster for the Steelers? Note as DeCastro starts his dive that Pouncey appears to struggle. He’s trying to disengage and move to the 2nd level. What you can’t see from this camera angle is that the D-lineman is holding Pouncey to prevent him from getting to the middle linebacker. It’s similar to what the Steelers D-linemen are expected to do – don’t allow the O-linemen to engage the linebackers who should run free to the running back. The “holding” is illegal and should draw a flag … if it’s seen by an official. Pouncey’s inability to disengage keeps the D-lineman from moving to the ball as quickly and DeCastro’s cut block totally misses the defender. Try to imagine where that defender would be if Pouncey slips past him and you’d see DeCastro would have had a pretty good cut on the guy. Everything between the whistles is about timing and the timing on this play was disrupted by the defender holding Pouncey.

The irony of that play is if DeCastro does cut-block that D-lineman while Pouncey is still engaged, it’s a 15 yard chop-block penalty. You cannot cut block a defender if he is already engaged by another lineman, because the defender could be injured just like Pouncey.

Now a quick point to defend Gilbert. First, give the defender plenty of credit for getting his hands down on Gilbert to keep from getting cut (that’s the move they practice to prevent cut-blocking). Second, if Gilbert goes at this guy hard enough to cut him even with the defender pushing off, he’ll blow-out both of the defender’s knees. Very few of these guys are trying to end someone’s career.

The Steelers have a very young offensive line (that just got slightly younger with Beachum coming in for Pouncey). As I alluded to above, the zone blocking scheme is all about timing. Given the Steelers do not practice cut-blocking their own players during the week, it’s going to take several games to see the offensive line improve their technique to the point of being effective in the zone blocking scheme.

Gameball goes to: the entire Training staff who did a great job with the wounded.

Goat goes to: The entire offense including offensive coaching staff. One quick rant: Why call a play in your goal line offense that requires Ben to spin in a 270 degree circle to hand off the ball to the fullback (who is really your half-back lining up like a fullback)?
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans)   Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 1:17 pm

Someone paid Decastro to put a hit on Pouncey wrote:
Either a Seahag or one of their fans.....still smarting over Superbowl XL

Interesting. Take a look at both DeCastro and Gilbert on the play where Pouncey was injured. Anyone notice anything? wrote:
What am I suppose to notice?

Tell me again that your pre-season record doesn't mean anything and I'll show you tape of this game. wrote:
Agreed!

Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) We_bel10
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans)   Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 1:25 pm

That's a great explanation, kirk. You helped me see not only what happened, but what was supposed to happen. I never get tired of giving you credit for your fantastic analysis. Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) 230572241 

With that said, you saw exactly what I was talking about with the cut blocking (credit goes to Dwingames at SU for pointing it out). The Steelers bitched and complained when the Ravens were notorious for doing it to Hampton. Now they're doing it to other D-linemen. I don't like it when it's done to the Steelers, and I don't like it when the Steelers do it to other players. I agree with Keisel:

Quote :
“They need to change that stupid rule,” said Keisel. “I know it was friendly fire, but they talk about safety and whatnot, but that whole play where someone’s engaged and the backside guard is cutting, it’s ridiculous.

“Guys are big enough and strong enough in this league to block. I’ve never liked that rule. I just don’t think it’s a safe play. It has been proven that guys are getting their knees blown out. They need to change that rule.”

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/steelers-zoned-out-in-new-scheme/article_6d8589f8-da8c-5c62-b75e-b05b07fd51b6.html
-------------------------------------------

Gingerchip wrote:
DeCastro and Gilbert were both cut blocking on the play. We all used to bitch when it happened to our D-linemen. Like Keisel said in the above quote ... that needs to be taken out of the game.

Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans)   Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 3:01 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
That's a great explanation, kirk. You helped me see not only what happened, but what was supposed to happen. I never get tired of giving you credit for your fantastic analysis. Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) 230572241 

With that said, you saw exactly what I was talking about with the cut blocking (credit goes to Dwingames at SU for pointing it out). The Steelers bitched and complained when the Ravens were notorious for doing it to Hampton. Now they're doing it to other D-linemen. I don't like it when it's done to the Steelers, and I don't like it when the Steelers do it to other players. I agree with Keisel:

Quote :
“They need to change that stupid rule,” said Keisel. “I know it was friendly fire, but they talk about safety and whatnot, but that whole play where someone’s engaged and the backside guard is cutting, it’s ridiculous.

“Guys are big enough and strong enough in this league to block. I’ve never liked that rule. I just don’t think it’s a safe play. It has been proven that guys are getting their knees blown out. They need to change that rule.”

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/steelers-zoned-out-in-new-scheme/article_6d8589f8-da8c-5c62-b75e-b05b07fd51b6.html
-------------------------------------------
Agreed, this scheme has caused numerous injuries. Any time a 300lbs + man throws himself near another man's knees, something's going to give. I've always considered this move to be a chicksh!t way to take a guy out of a play when the talent of the offensive lineman doesn't allow him to block like a real man. I think the Steelers are one of the last teams to adopt it.

Wallace108 wrote:

Gingerchip wrote:
DeCastro and Gilbert were both cut blocking on the play. We all used to bitch when it happened to our D-linemen. Like Keisel said in the above quote ... that needs to be taken out of the game.
Ha, I thought you were pointing out that neither player effectively executed their blocks.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans)   Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 3:19 pm

kirklandrules wrote:
Ha, I thought you were pointing out that neither player effectively executed their blocks.
Oh, there was effective execution on that play. Pouncey's knee was effectively executed. Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) 294855916 

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans)   Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 6:43 pm

Game balls:
Ben
The titan that took the opening kickoff back in to the endzone

Goats:
O-line

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
steelersfan87

PostSubject: Re: Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans)   Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 12:46 am

Not to poopoo on kirkland's analysis, but the guard chopping the nose as the center engages him is actually a perfectly legal play on a running play. Here is the rule for when a chop block is illegal:

Quote :
(6) On a running play, A1, an offensive lineman, chops a defensive player after the defensive player has
been engaged by A2 (high or low), and the initial alignment of A2 is more than one position away from
A1. This rule applies only when the block occurs at a time when the flow of the play is clearly away
from A1.
Therefore, I don't know for certain whether Pouncey did anything to contribute to this play (e.g. failing to come off the block), as that play is typically run in that fashion (with the guard chopping the nose as the center engages). He may have been looking to go to the second level after DeCastro threw his block and took the nose out of the play.
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans)   Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 1:59 am

So let me see if I'm understanding this (probably not) ...

Pouncey was engaged with the NT. If DeCastro had hit the NT while he was still engaged with Pouncey, it would have been legal because DeCastro is one position away from Pouncey. However, if Gilbert would have done it, it would have been illegal because he's two positions away. Am I correct in that it doesn't matter whether the defender is engaged? What matters is who makes the block in relation to position on the line?

Let me try to make that simpler ...

According to the rule Dodens posted (based on how I'm reading it), it would have been legal for DeCastro to hit the NT while the NT was engaged with Pouncey. Would it still have been a legal block if Pouncey had released? If the answer to that question is yes, then it doesn't matter whether the defender is engaged with an O-lineman?

What kirkland said makes perfect sense with DeCastro's actions. But the rule posted by Dodens does seem to contradict it. I have no clue. I'm going to see if I can find the answer in a bottle of beer.

Back to top Go down
Drizztbob

Drizztbob

PostSubject: Re: Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans)   Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 8:31 am

All valid points Kirk and if executed properly, it may have not resulted in such a horrific outcome. The problem is in just that, execution. They don't practice cut blocking in practice, which means they have no technique, which explains why Decastro is just launching himself in the direction of a supposed defender with his head down hoping he connects with blue legs instead of yellow. BAD BAD BAD.

kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans)   Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 11:56 am

Dodens Grav wrote:
Not to poopoo on kirkland's analysis, but the guard chopping the nose as the center engages him is actually a perfectly legal play on a running play. Here is the rule for when a chop block is illegal:

Quote :
(6) On a running play, A1, an offensive lineman, chops a defensive player after the defensive player has
been engaged by A2 (high or low), and the initial alignment of A2 is more than one position away from
A1. This rule applies only when the block occurs at a time when the flow of the play is clearly away
from A1.
Therefore, I don't know for certain whether Pouncey did anything to contribute to this play (e.g. failing to come off the block), as that play is typically run in that fashion (with the guard chopping the nose as the center engages). He may have been looking to go to the second level after DeCastro threw his block and took the nose out of the play.
No poopoo about it, I stand corrected. I forgot about the two position rule in the NFL. Not sure why DeCastro didn't just chop the legs right off the bat and let Pouncey get to the 2nd level. There's several valid reasons, keeping in mind that assignments aren't always the same after the ball is snapped as they are before. But in watching that play develop, DeCastro decides to go for the chop at about the time Pouncey is trying to disengage ... so it looks like everything was coordinated until Pouncey was held up.
Back to top Go down
steelersfan87

PostSubject: Re: Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans)   Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 2:36 pm

Yeah, you are actually right about that part, Tomlin said today that Pouncey not getting to the second level was a factor, so he was indeed apparently trying to move on. Tomlin said that he is fine with the chop block rule the way it is as well.
Back to top Go down
steelersfan87

PostSubject: Re: Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans)   Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 2:39 pm

Wallace108 wrote:
So let me see if I'm understanding this (probably not) ...

Pouncey was engaged with the NT. If DeCastro had hit the NT while he was still engaged with Pouncey, it would have been legal because DeCastro is one position away from Pouncey. However, if Gilbert would have done it, it would have been illegal because he's two positions away. Am I correct in that it doesn't matter whether the defender is engaged? What matters is who makes the block in relation to position on the line?

Let me try to make that simpler ...

According to the rule Dodens posted (based on how I'm reading it), it would have been legal for DeCastro to hit the NT while the NT was engaged with Pouncey. Would it still have been a legal block if Pouncey had released? If the answer to that question is yes, then it doesn't matter whether the defender is engaged with an O-lineman?

What kirkland said makes perfect sense with DeCastro's actions. But the rule posted by Dodens does seem to contradict it. I have no clue. I'm going to see if I can find the answer in a bottle of beer.
If Gilbert rather than DeCastro would have chopped the nose tackle while Pouncey was engaging him, it would've been a penalty, yeah. Stupid rule, huh? This is why the defense was so enraged in 2011 when the Ravens were doing it to Casey in the season opener. Keisel still doesn't like it even with the Steelers starting to do it now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans)   Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans) Empty

Back to top Go down

Game Balls and Goats (Steelers vs. Titans)
Page 1 of 1