Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeAdrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge Empty
PostSubject: Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge   Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 10:34 pm

By STEVE EDER and PAT BORZI

A warrant for the arrest of Adrian Peterson, one of the National Football League’s top stars, was issued on Friday after he was charged in a child abuse investigation in Texas, the latest criminal case to rock the country’s most popular sport.

The charges against Peterson, a running back for the Minnesota Vikings regarded as one of the best ever, came after police investigated claims that he had abused his son while disciplining him with a switch, or a tree branch.

Peterson, through a lawyer, quickly sought to play down his behavior, saying he had engaged only in stern parenting.

“Adrian is a loving father who used his judgment as a parent to discipline his son,” his lawyer, Rusty Hardin, said, adding that Peterson, 29, had experienced such discipline as a child in East Texas. “Adrian has never hidden from what happened.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/13/sports/football/adrian-peterson-indicted-on-child-injury-charge.html?_r=0

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge   Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 2:35 pm

UGH! You beat me to it! Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge 1797695198

Crap....I thought he played for the Pats*.

This is the scummiest scumbag of the earth. Lot of horrible things people can do, but hurting a child is the bottom of the barrel.

FRY HIS ASS!

Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge We_bel10
Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge   Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 2:54 pm

As always, I'm going to wait until more information comes out before I rush to judgment. I heard earlier that there's pictures showing some kind of injury to his son. I haven't seen them. As someone who took his fair share of whuppings as a child, I'm not against physical discipline (although me and my wife have never had to resort to it). Then again, there are days my 19-year-old son has brought me close to having to knock him out. Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge 3798349058

We now live in a society that is quick to condemn. Guilty until proven innocent. I'd be lying if I said I don't form instant opinions on a case, but I like to have as many details as possible before final judgment.

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge   Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 3:04 pm

The police reports stated that there are bruises and cuts to his legs.

I am not 100% against capital punishment (believe me, I got my share too).  But there is a fine line between a spanking and causing a child cuts and bruises.

I have changed my opinion over the years on "whoopins" due to the studies (peer reviewed and published) performed on children that are beaten.

There had to be enough evidence for a grand jury to indict him, as far as my knowledge of the law.

I'm just saying that if this child did indeed suffer physical trauma, Adrian's ass should fry

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge   Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 3:15 pm

Gingerchip wrote:
I have changed my opinion over the years on "whoopins" due to the studies (peer reviewed and published) performed on children that are beaten.

There had to be enough evidence for a grand jury to indict him, as far as my knowledge of the law.

There's a difference between a whupping (even if something like a belt is used) and a beating. I don't have time right now to explain the difference, and I think we all know the difference anyway.

Without the time to go into more discussion right now, my guess is that we're probably on the same page on this (more or less). When all the facts are known, I'm sure we'll both agree one way or the other.

As for indictments, there's an old saying ... a grand jury could indict a ham sandwich. The accused doesn't get to offer any defense. An indictment really isn't an indication of guilt or innocence.

Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge   Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 3:28 pm

I don't know much about grand jury indictments or the law for that matter.  

The vast, and I mean vast, majority of clinical psychologists feel that any type of physical punishment is wrong and can cause long term harm.  I got it as a child, and look how I turned out! affraid Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge 124247948

Seriously, I don't agree with that line of thought 100%.  But there is a difference between a slap on the butt cheek and leaving cuts and bruises on a child that cannot defend his or her self.

You be right though.  We'll soon find out the truth to the latest NFL drama!

Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge   Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 7:07 pm

I have no issue with a butt whooping, even if it leaves bruises and the child is reminded later that they were whooped. There's no need to hit the child so hard that you leave physical scars.

I don't know where this draws the line, but Wally, I agree, I was raised with whoopins and there is a difference. I have to see pictures of the marks before I weigh in on the discipline for AP.

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge   Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 7:41 pm

One of the issues, at least from what I have read, is that his actions breaks a Texas Injury to Child law (if proven).

So I guess it doesn't matter what we all think from a child rearing point of view.  The matter is a law has possibly been broken.

Back to top Go down
Gingerchip

Gingerchip

PostSubject: Re: Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge   Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 8:20 pm

Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge Adrien10

On a FOUR YEAR OLD?  Allegedly (yes, allegedly), there were injuries to the neck, hand, and scrotum as well. My God, the frontal cortex which helps us determine reasoning and consequences isn't even developed.

The “whooping” – as Peterson put it when interviewed by police – occurred in Spring, Texas, in May. Peterson’s son had pushed another one of Peterson’s children off of a motorbike video game. As punishment, Peterson grabbed a tree branch – which he consistently referred to as a “switch” – removed the leaves and struck the child repeatedly.

The beating allegedly resulted in numerous injuries to the child, including cuts and bruises to the child’s back, buttocks, ankles, legs and scrotum, along with defensive wounds to the child’s hands. Peterson then texted the boy’s mother, saying that one wound in particular would make her “mad at me about his leg. I got kinda good wit the tail end of the switch.”

Peterson also allegedly said via text message to the child’s mother that he “felt bad after the fact when I notice the switch was wrapping around hitting I (sic) thigh” and also acknowledged the injury to the child’s scrotum in a text message, saying, “Got him in nuts once I noticed. But I felt so bad, n I’m all tearing that butt up when needed! I start putting them in timeout. N save the whooping for needed memories!”

Read more at:http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/09/12/exclusive-details-on-adrian-peterson-indictment-charges/

Good thing I'm not on the jury.....I'd fry his ass.  Case closed IMO

Back to top Go down
Wallace108

Wallace108

PostSubject: Re: Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge   Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 1:50 am

On my way to work today (not long after posting in this thread) I heard on the radio that his son is only 4 years old. I didn't realize he was that young. It immediately changed my perspective on the situation. For a child that young, physical discipline shouldn't go beyond spankings. Now that I see the photo, there's absolutely no defending that. We can debate a welt or a small bruise. But as far as I'm concerned, what I see in that pic is abuse.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge   Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge Empty

Back to top Go down

Adrian Peterson Faces Child Abuse Charge
Page 1 of 1