Steelers Xtreme Forum

HomeSteelers select DT Walton in Round 6. Home10RegisterLog inContact
Become a member of the Steelers Xtreme community to join in on the discussions and get access to members-only forums. Registering is free and easy.

Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.

Go down 
+8
FrancoLambert
El-Gonzo Jackson
kan_t
Steeler Zach
SteelersCanada
KeepHarrisonTilHes92
ImperialFan
Wallace108
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Wallace108

Wallace108

Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. Empty
PostSubject: Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.   Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. EmptySat May 02, 2015 4:26 pm

Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. Bilde?Site=C4&Date=20140828&Category=SPORTS08&ArtNo=308280067&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Leterrius-Walton-dominant-force-Central-Michigan-s-defensive-line

If you're going to be a smart ass, you'd better be smart. Otherwise, you're just an ass.
Back to top Go down
http://www.steelersxtreme.com/
ImperialFan

ImperialFan

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.   Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. EmptySat May 02, 2015 4:28 pm

Bust

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.   Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. EmptySat May 02, 2015 4:29 pm

Lame and gay. Fire everybody.
Back to top Go down
SteelersCanada

SteelersCanada

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.   Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. EmptySat May 02, 2015 4:30 pm

He has the potential to push Cam Thomas off the roster. For that reason alone (there are other reasons, but that's the big one) I love this pick.
Back to top Go down
Steeler Zach

Steeler Zach

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.   Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. EmptySat May 02, 2015 4:30 pm

Fire Walton!
Back to top Go down
kan_t

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.   Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. EmptySat May 02, 2015 4:32 pm

A project and a depth pick.
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.   Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. EmptySat May 02, 2015 4:46 pm

SteelersCanada wrote:
He has the potential to push Cam Thomas off the roster. For that reason alone (there are other reasons, but that's the big one) I love this pick.

I don't think he pushes Thomas off the roster. Thomas will likely be the only veteran depth, but Walton has a motor, plays with good leverage and likely has to turn some pudge into muscle in an NFL weight room. I like the pick and hope he can make the 53.

I'm honestly more excited to hear that John Mitchell has been coaching up McCullers and he's supposedly following the lead of some guys like Cam Heyward. Big Dan was a guy that lacked effort. I think Walton brings the effort and can be a solid part of the depth in 2 years under Mitchell.
Back to top Go down
FrancoLambert

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.   Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. EmptySat May 02, 2015 5:28 pm

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
SteelersCanada wrote:

I don't think he pushes Thomas off the roster.  Thomas will likely be the only veteran depth, but Walton has a motor, plays with good leverage and likely has to turn some pudge into muscle in an NFL weight room.  I like the pick and hope he can make the 53.

I'm honestly more excited to hear that John Mitchell has been coaching up McCullers and he's supposedly following the lead of some guys like Cam Heyward.  Big Dan was a guy that lacked effort.  I think Walton brings the effort and can be a solid part of the depth in 2 years under Mitchell.

That's one of my biggest hopes for this coming season.
Surprising development from McCullers.

Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.   Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. EmptySat May 02, 2015 5:36 pm

FrancoLambert wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
SteelersCanada wrote:

I don't think he pushes Thomas off the roster.  Thomas will likely be the only veteran depth, but Walton has a motor, plays with good leverage and likely has to turn some pudge into muscle in an NFL weight room.  I like the pick and hope he can make the 53.

I'm honestly more excited to hear that John Mitchell has been coaching up McCullers and he's supposedly following the lead of some guys like Cam Heyward.  Big Dan was a guy that lacked effort.  I think Walton brings the effort and can be a solid part of the depth in 2 years under Mitchell.

That's one of my biggest hopes for this coming season.
Surprising development from McCullers.

Yeah, sounds like the strength coach has him in better shape. Mitchell was saying that it seemed like all thru college McCullers was told "its ok, you're a big guy", but in the pro's its not OK to Mitchell and he's been pushing him and Dan seems to be responding. I for one was not optimistic that McCullers would get the switch turned on, but I sure hope Coach Mitch has done it !!
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.   Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. EmptySat May 02, 2015 8:47 pm

6(199) Pittsburgh Steelers: Leterrius Walton, DE/DT, Central Michigan: A Grade

Good players just somehow fall to the Steelers all the time. Leterrius Walton was a player I had slotted in the fourth round. He was highly productive at Central Michigan and could eventually emerge as a starter on Pittsburgh's front. In the meantime, he fills a need as a depth player.

http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades6.php#kcaMJAVrD8WC881a.99
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.   Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. EmptyTue May 05, 2015 1:59 am

Steelers' sixth-round pick could start new trend

May 5, 2015
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton and Brett Keisel formed the best 3-4 defensive line in the NFL for many years. They helped turn the Steelers into the league’s No. 1 defense several times, collected two Super Bowl rings each and only once fell out of the top three against the run.

They were so good for so long that fans and others became spoiled, nearly as they were with the great Steel Curtain of the 1970s.

“You are talking about fans and other people — I was spoiled,” said John Mitchell, their defensive line coach since 1994. “How often do you get a Casey Hampton, Brett Keisel, and Aaron Smith who play for you for 10 or more years? I was spoiled.

“It made my job very easy. I was spoiled. That doesn’t happen. You guys write about sports. How many teams can you write about that had three guys that played that well for that long of a period of time year in and year out? It made my job easy.”

The release of Keisel in March completed the breakup of that line. The Steelers added what might become a new member of the new group when they drafted Leterrius “L.T.” Walton in the sixth round Saturday from Central Michigan. He will add depth at defensive end if he makes the 53-man roster and while he is a late-round pick from a less-powerful conference, it is the school and round that brought the Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown.

At 6 feet 5, 319 pounds, Walton also could play inside for them in their passing defenses.

“I feel like I’m a versatile player,” said Walton, who played tackle in Central Michigan’s 4-3 defense. “I feel comfortable playing inside, outside, or whatever’s best for the team I’m able to do.”

While Mitchell seemed generally excited about Walton, he also looked forward to coaching a defensive line he predicted could become the equal of his old one. The new line isn’t all that new because end Cam Heyward and nose tackle Steve McLendon have started the past two years. End Stephon Tuitt and massive backup tackle Daniel McCullers joined them in 2014 through the draft.

“I’m looking for that. I think we are going to have that here again,” Mitchell said. “We are still a little young. Cam Heyward is going to be a heck of a football player. I think Tuitt’s best football is ahead of him. I think Steven McLendon is a guy that stayed in here, worked hard day in and day out. We cut him about four times. He had a never-say-never attitude.

“I think the same thing with Dan McCullers. ... He’s in great shape right now, he understands what we are going to do and he’s here. I’m excited about this football team. I’m excited about the defensive line.”

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201505050079
Back to top Go down
KeepHarrisonTilHes92

KeepHarrisonTilHes92

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.   Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. EmptySun May 10, 2015 12:17 pm

This man was signed quick. No Cam Thomas? Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. 1372836603
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.   Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. EmptySun May 10, 2015 12:56 pm

I hope he works out cause I thought this pick should have been spent on la'el Collins.

. .
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.   Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. EmptySun May 10, 2015 10:59 pm

tony hipchest wrote:
I hope he works out cause I thought this pick should have been spent on la'el Collins.

there must have been a NFL directive not to draft La'el Collins, otherwise some team would surely have gambled at least a 7th round pick on him...
Back to top Go down
tony hipchest

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.   Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. EmptyMon May 11, 2015 9:38 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
tony hipchest wrote:

there must have been a NFL directive not to draft La'el Collins, otherwise some team would surely have gambled at least a 7th round pick on him...
thats exactly what i think. although i havent heard anything leaked or talked about other than several former GM's flabbergasted that nobody took a chance on securing his rights (especially with a throw away 7th round comp pick). plenty of teams sure showed interest and lined up at his door ready to sign him once the draft was over though. id doesnt make sense unless teams were threatened.

. .
Back to top Go down
kirklandrules

kirklandrules

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.   Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. EmptyMon May 11, 2015 1:04 pm

tony hipchest wrote:
Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
tony hipchest wrote:

thats exactly what i think.  although i havent heard anything leaked or talked about other than several former GM's flabbergasted that nobody took a chance on securing his rights (especially with a throw away 7th round comp pick).  plenty of teams sure showed interest and lined up at his door ready to sign him once the draft was over though.  id doesnt make sense unless teams were threatened.

Thought I heard on Steelers Nation Radio that after the 3rd round his agent sent word he didn't want to be drafted. If he were a late round draft pick, he would be committed for 4 years ... undrafted he's committed to 3 years. So he gets to a new contract a year sooner. Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. 2087824411
Back to top Go down
stlrtruck

stlrtruck

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.   Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. EmptyMon May 11, 2015 2:09 pm

if that's the case, then I wish he would have been drafted and not-signed, then the team who drafted him would've had the rights to him until the next draft.

I'm sure he would've changed his tune

1 NATION
STEELERS NATION Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. 3056903510

I am the MAN that created the MYTH that started the LEGEND

Don't choose good when greatness is available!
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.   Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. EmptyWed May 13, 2015 1:31 am

Just rewatched the Shrine game. Walton was lined up at DT next to Chickillo most of the 1st half. He looks active and strong, I think has the makings of a good 5-technique that should make the 53.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.   Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. EmptyWed May 13, 2015 2:07 am

El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Just rewatched the Shrine game.  Walton was lined up at DT next to Chickillo most of the 1st half.  He looks active and strong, I think has the makings of a good 5-technique that should make the 53.  

how did Chickillo look?
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.   Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. EmptyWed May 13, 2015 9:16 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
El-Gonzo Jackson wrote:
Just rewatched the Shrine game.  Walton was lined up at DT next to Chickillo most of the 1st half.  He looks active and strong, I think has the makings of a good 5-technique that should make the 53.  

how did Chickillo look?

He was playing DE in a 4-3 and was just all over the place and he and Za Darius Smith from Kentucky were constantly after the QB. Mayock and Davis raved about what a great week he had and said stuff like quick getoff the ball, has a high motor and toughness.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.   Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. EmptySun Jul 12, 2015 7:56 pm

Getting To Know: L.T. Walton

By Mike Prisuta

Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. GTK_Walton_CP_2015

L.T. Walton
Defensive End
Central Michigan

6-5, 319
Rookie

Who is your football mentor or inspiration?
Since I’ve been here I’ve been looking up to Cam Heyward. He’s a prime example of how to work and how to do things around here.

What motivates you?
This is what I want to do for the rest of my life. I love football.

What is your football mindset?
Continue to work and become a technician at my work.

Why do you play football?
It’s the greatest game in the world. You can’t beat football, the physicality of the sport. It’s America’s best game.

What is your proudest football moment or memory?
Being drafted was a huge thing for me and my family but that’s not the end of it.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Getting-To-Know-LT-Walton/dbcf856b-9590-448a-b67f-a6e10a05462c
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.   Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. EmptySat Aug 08, 2015 8:44 pm

* Let me start by quoting someone smarter than me about the linemen. I hated to ask, but I tried watching L.T. Walton simply out of duty to our readers, since Clifton Geathers was placed on IR, and Walton was doing his Rodney Bailey imitation and that caused me to miss a great pick by Brandon Boykin. And I love watching Brandon Boykin!

This ticked me off, so I stopped picking out guys who aren't flashing just to pretend I can discuss their flaws and/or virtues, and I went back to watching the ball.

* And so I instead asked a paid professional about the linemen, starting with Walton:

"I didn't really watch him much, but I have been watching a little bit of (Stephon) Tuitt lately. Tuitt is really starting to develop a second move. He's got a nice, little move where he goes inside then swims back to the outside. He got (David) DeCastro twice on it (Thursday). I remarked to David, 'David, you've got to finish a little more violently.' And the third time he did. But Tuitt is just getting better and better and better."

* The aforementioned Walton made a diving tackle of a running back at the line of scrimmage on Friday. That was the first time I noticed him without having to watch him from the snap.

* I compared him to Bailey earlier because Bailey was a solid if unspectacular sixth-round pick who went on to help the team. While Walton is boring to watch, I haven't seen him get knocked on his can. And the diving tackle was pretty cool.

to read rest of article:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1566889-the-morning-after
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.   Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. EmptySun Aug 09, 2015 1:44 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
* Let me start by quoting someone smarter than me about the linemen. I hated to ask, but I tried watching L.T. Walton simply out of duty to our readers, since Clifton Geathers was placed on IR, and Walton was doing his Rodney Bailey imitation and that caused me to miss a great pick by Brandon Boykin. And I love watching Brandon Boykin!

This ticked me off, so I stopped picking out guys who aren't flashing just to pretend I can discuss their flaws and/or virtues, and I went back to watching the ball.

* And so I instead asked a paid professional about the linemen, starting with Walton:

"I didn't really watch him much, but I have been watching a little bit of (Stephon) Tuitt lately. Tuitt is really starting to develop a second move. He's got a nice, little move where he goes inside then swims back to the outside. He got (David) DeCastro twice on it (Thursday). I remarked to David, 'David, you've got to finish a little more violently.' And the third time he did. But Tuitt is just getting better and better and better."

* The aforementioned Walton made a diving tackle of a running back at the line of scrimmage on Friday. That was the first time I noticed him without having to watch him from the snap.

* I compared him to Bailey earlier because Bailey was a solid if unspectacular sixth-round pick who went on to help the team. While Walton is boring to watch, I haven't seen him get knocked on his can. And the diving tackle was pretty cool.

to read rest of article:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1566889-the-morning-after

I could not sign into this article to read the rest. Walton looked good in the Shrine game, he was athletic and played with good leverage. I think he was comfortable playing a 3 technique and its going to take time to adjust to a 5, but he should make the 53 and Mitchell can make a solid rotational player out of him, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.   Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 1:22 am

Dan @dan31899@Alex_Kozora

Chances L.T. Walton makes the 53? I want him to make it so bad, I think he could be a decent player

Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora
Alex Kozora retweeted Dan -

Better than I pegged him. Competing with Hemer for #4 spot. And Walton is a much better athlete.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora
Back to top Go down
El-Gonzo Jackson

El-Gonzo Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.   Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 10:35 am

Hawaii 5-0 wrote:
Dan @dan31899@Alex_Kozora

Chances L.T. Walton makes the 53? I want him to make it so bad, I think he could be a decent player

Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora  
Alex Kozora retweeted Dan -

Better than I pegged him. Competing with Hemer for #4 spot. And Walton is a much better athlete.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora

I realize that practice plays a lot into this and I'm pulling for Walton. I just thought in the preseason game that Walton didn't show much. Looked to me like Kruger stood out more, but would have to watch again. Short of it is, that fans need to get used to seeing Cam Thomas on the D line rotation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.   Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6. Empty

Back to top Go down

Steelers select DT Walton in Round 6.
Page 1 of 1